1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

T-shirt quilts

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by OSUFirepolak, Jan 19, 2008.

1. OSUFirepolak

OSUFirepolak Federal Marshal

I have so many old OSU t-shirts that I don't wear anymore that I have decided to have one of those t-shirt quilts made. It's actually going to include several other t-shirts from "college" also. Shirts I still have from working at The Weed, old School of Fire Protection and Fire Protection Society shirts, some old concert t-shirts and some old fire dept. shirts as well.

I remember a few people on here posting pictures and mentioning they have had a OSU t-shirts quilt made or given to them as a gift, so I'm wondering what people think about these quilts now that they have them.

I think this is probably better than having a bunch of t-shirts packed away that I never wear but refuse to throw away.

2. Pokit N

Pokit N Sheriff

My Grandma made me and my brother each one, made up of our High School football T-Shirts. I LOVE IT. One of my prize possesions, for two reasons.
    1.-My grandmother made it right around time I graduated from college, she has parkinsons, and this was one of the last things she was able to make before her hands started shaking too bad to sew.
    2.-Obviously its got all my T's on it that either I would have worn until they were in shreds or throw away or something.

It's a great quilt/blanket, I used to have it out and use it all the time. Then my wife spilt a whole cup of coffe on it, and didn't bother to tell me until I discovered it later, and I can't get the damn stain out :mad: Not that I'm bitter or anything, now I have it in a big plastic bag that I keep in my closet so it doesn't get any more damage done to it.

Sorry to ramble in short: I highly recomend them, they are awesome!

3. Chris H.

Chris H. administrator emeritus A/V Subscriber

My mom made mine the Christmas after I graduated. I love it. I have no need for all my orange t-shirts since they arent exactly business attire. Its a great way to keep them as opposed to tossing them out.

4. Verb

Verb Deputy

Here's what you need to do. Go to the pet store. Buy some Nature's Miracle or Petzyme or any of the products designed to remove pet urine from carpets. (Get a big jug--cheaper that way.) The enzymes in these products work on anything organic--any kind of food or drink stain as well as...er...secretions. Lay your quilt out on the floor somewhere it can be for a few days, because this process could take some time. Put a towel under the stained area, and then pour the product generously onto every area that's stained. Dampen another towel with the enzyme cleaner and gently blot/rub the stained area. After you've removed whatever you can that way, soak all stained areas generously with more enzyme cleaner, then cover with a wet towel and let the enzymes do their work. It could take several days. The product has to stay wet for the enzymes to work. Pour on more enzyme cleaner as needed, and keep the towel covering the stained areas wet. Given enough time, it'll take the coffee out of your quilt.

5. Aviation09

Aviation09 Sheriff

My mom made me a killer one out of my all my old OSU t-shirts (including several Bedlam victory shirts) and I love it to death. Definitely try to go with 12 shirts as opposed to 9.

6. OSUFirepolak

This quilt is going to have close to 30 t-shirts.

7. Pokit N

Pokit N Sheriff

Thanks, that's a great Idea! I have a dog too so I may be able to use that stuff for other problems that pop up, or if I have Jameson Curry spend the night........sorry sorry I couldn't help it.

8. OSUFirepolak

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!

:D

9. Chris H.

you probably won't be able to do 30. And if you did, they'd be really small squares of each shirt. Mine were cut down to just the printed part, and still 15 was plenty to make a full size quilt.

Here's mine I posted last Christmas: http://www.orangepower.com/showpost.php?p=230406&postcount=15

10. OSUFirepolak

The lady that is making it does it a little differently than the one you have I guess (your quilt is awesome by the way). I don't think there is as much "framing" to the one's she makes and I guess that allows her to use more shirts. I guess she gets pretty artistic with her work and has "never made the same quilt twice" according to her... after talking with her about everything, it sounds really interesting.

11. Chris H.

Ahhh, didn't realize you already had one being made...thought you were being hopeful for 30. Sounds like its going to be pretty cool. Be sure and post pics when you get it back.

12. OSUFirepolak

I haven't dropped the material off yet but I'll probably do that next week. I just counted them up and I have 23 shirts I want to use and a few of those only have a small design on them and won't take up much room at all. It will have everything from a Houston Bowl Champs shirt to the Stone Temple Pilots shirt I got from when I saw them in OKC in 2000.

I have that same Eskimo Joe's Houston Bowl shirt that you have and it will be in the quilt also....

13. OrangeAggie

OrangeAggie Assistant to the Moderater A/V Subscriber

I have almost all the T-shirts on your quilt and they're just sitting in my closet taking up space. Having a T-shirt quilt made is a great idea.

14. OSUFirepolak

It also looks like you used the front AND back of a few of your shirts.... I don't think I'll do that. I'll just have her use the front design.

There were a few shirts I just couldn't have cut up though... a few from some Bedlam wins, the National Championship shirt from the 2005 wrestling team and the Final Four shirt and Big 12 Champs shirt from the basketball team.

Had to keep those.

15. Football_Goddess

Football_Goddess Deputy

My mom is currently making me two t-shirt quilts--one of OSU shirts and one with shirts from high school. Both of them are going to be double-sided.