Taking stock: 2019 season so far

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Aug 26, 2009
Tulsa
I start this thread after coming to terms with the season thus far.

The early season dreams of contending for a conference title are more or less dashed, but honestly, who didn't know that was a real possibility heading into this season. New QB, new OC, unproven DC who hasn't been here long. Given, we have two all Americans on offense, but the level-headed among us knew this could be another down-ish year. Dont get me wrong, I want to win every game as much as everybody else, but as they say in baseball come March, hope springs eternal. Hope or not, everyone knew some teams probably weren't headed for the playoffs.

All that said, we have some positive things to work with. What do you all think are the positives that can help us the rest of this season and beyond? What should we reasonably expect for the rest of this season? What needs to change to make positive strides in the seasons to come?

P.S. I am by no means throwing in the towel on this season, simply glimpsing the big picture. #Loyal&True

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Oct 30, 2007
Positives:
1. I knew that Hubbard would be good, but he's been better than I anticipated.
2. Wallace has played well enough to win the Biletnikoff award.
3. The linebackers have played pretty well despite injuries.

Negatives:
1. Our turnover margin has been horrible.
2. The defensive line gets very little push. Hopefully they'll grow up some in the second half of the season.
3. The secondary was supposed to be the strength of our defense, but they've struggled.
4. Defensive alignments have been horrible at times. I hate giving other teams 5-10 yards unchallenged because our secondary is 10 yards off the LOS at the snap.
(2 & 3 are highly correlated. Our secondary might look better if we had a pass rush.)

Neutral:
1. Sanders is bristling with talent, but he's been wildly inconsistent.
2. The offense line has been inconsistent as well. They've played really well at times & really poor at times.
3. Special teams have been unspectacular, but solid.

I can't be too upset right now because I predicted that we would go 8-4 with losses to OU, UT, TTU, & ISU. We can still have a solid season if we play cleaner football moving forward. The turnovers have to stop though.

From a broader perspective, I still feel the same way I've felt for a long time. Coach Gundy is a great CEO, our offensive coaches are really good, and our defensive coaches are underwhelming. We're going to see the same results until we start recruiting at a higher level on the defensive side of the ball.

Aug 26, 2009
Tulsa
I think we get one more year out of Tylan and Chuba. Sustained dominance only helps their draft stock. Tylan may already have it. Chuba is really just starting to build his stock as far as outsiders are concerned.

8-4 is realistic. Then again 6-6 isnt an outrageous notion either. I'm going to cling to the former.

Our QB shows potential. Too soon to judge a new OC I think. I've been critical of the defense and the DC so far this year.

I haven't watched enough of the other teams in this conference to make a truly educated decision, but from what I have seen, this is a transitional year for 90-80% of the conference. Alot of up and down. I'd be willing to bet that a year or two from now we will see 3-4 big 12 teams in the top 20 at the end of October.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Oct 25, 2009
Twin Falls, ID
It wont be the popular opinion here, but play Dru Brown in the second half of the Texas game and then he becomes starter and we are sitting here undefeated and in the Top 10. Both our losses rest squarely on Spencer Sanders. Defenses will not respect the passing game because Sanders doesnt know where guys will be and I dont think he processes information fast enough. He may get there with time, but I hate watching us lose games because of Mike Gundys stubbornness around the qb position. We have a team that is good enough to beat anyone on the schedule. We have a qb that is capable of losing to anyone on the schedule.

orngblkzebra

"All this endless thinking, it's very overrated."
A/V Subscriber
Feb 9, 2015
Shawnee, OK
It wont be the popular opinion here, but play Dru Brown in the second half of the Texas game and then he becomes starter and we are sitting here undefeated and in the Top 10. Both our losses rest squarely on Spencer Sanders. Defenses will not respect the passing game because Sanders doesnt know where guys will be and I dont think he processes information fast enough. He may get there with time, but I hate watching us lose games because of Mike Gundys stubbornness around the qb position. We have a team that is good enough to beat anyone on the schedule. We have a qb that is capable of losing to anyone on the schedule.
I see...

So, Gundy is a "bad" coach because instead of taking time to teach (read: coach) a talented young player, he should just hit the portal and bring in a player that doesnt need coaching (may not take coaching).

Hhmmm...

In order for Gundy to be a great coach he needs to avoid the actual process of coaching...

Genius

Jan 14, 2006
I see...

So, Gundy is a "bad" coach because instead of taking time to teach (read: coach) a talented young player, he should just hit the portal and bring in a player that doesnt need coaching (may not take coaching).

Hhmmm...

In order for Gundy to be a great coach he needs to avoid the actual process of coaching...

Genius
Works for Lincoln Riley.

Sep 16, 2004
DFW
Thanks for visiting from the parallel universe where Dru played and delivered an undefeated season so far. I was curious what the outcome would be, but we could only guess until this post. Now we have absolute assurance of Gundy’s mistake. Thank you for this, quantum traveler.

Oct 25, 2009
Twin Falls, ID
Quantum travelers always seem to like back up quarterbacks.
Says all the idiots that thought Sanders would have been a better option than Corn last year. I guess youre all getting to see how bad of a move that would have been.

In 3 conference games....3 tds and 7 ints. Cant wait to see how the rest of our season goes.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2009
NW OKC
I can't wait either, that last intercept @ TT was a no
Says all the idiots that thought Sanders would have been a better option than Corn last year. I guess youre all getting to see how bad of a move that would have been.

In 3 conference games....3 tds and 7 ints. Cant wait to see how the rest of our season goes.
I can't wait either, that last intercept @ TT was a no call holding our receiver. Did SS throw up some bad balls, no doubt,does he need seasoning? Yes. I think the dude can be good - I'mm all n board w/the Dude.

Poke4Christ

Federal Marshal
Aug 2, 2005
Edmond, OK
My biggest frustration has been the lines. The D line has been pretty lack luster and has gotten pushed around in games. The O Line started well, but appears to be regressing. Note all this is coming from someone who never played football and can't always watch the games with a ton of attention. So, grain of salt for ya'll.

Sep 12, 2013
Broken Arrow, OK
In 3 conference games....3 tds and 7 ints. ...
I seem to remember this was the knock on Sanders. He had trouble with turnovers. I'm really hoping that against Rapelor he plays within himself (which is huge area because of his talent) and doesn't try to force things to happen. Also hoping Dru is fit enough to play just in case. Because you know Rapelor is going to get after Sanders and try to force turnovers. I think their defense is faster than Taco Tech's.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
I blame Gundy. These kids are really good. Spencer could’ve had 4 extra games of experience last year. He didn’t get one. Conventional common sense says pull a QB after 3rd turnover as more are likely which does nothing for confidence. Why even have a backup QB in his system? He will just play the injured one anyway. At least try something, anything. Put both out there on same play, at least try to confound our opponents in preparing for our schemes. Why is everyone ready for a break out performance against us? Or better yet, why are we woefully unprepared for backup quarterbacks, while simultaneously never using our own?

NotOnTV

BRB -- Taking an okie leak
Sep 14, 2010
Gondor
I blame Gundy. These kids are really good. Spencer could’ve had 4 extra games of experience last year. He didn’t get one. Conventional common sense says pull a QB after 3rd turnover as more are likely which does nothing for confidence. Why even have a backup QB in his system? He will just play the injured one anyway. At least try something, anything. Put both out there on same play, at least try to confound our opponents in preparing for our schemes. Why is everyone ready for a break out performance against us? Or better yet, why are we woefully unprepared for backup quarterbacks, while simultaneously never using our own?
Careful! You are asking to be labeled a heretic and burned at the stake for impugning the infallible, iconic, mulleted super-hero that can do no wrong! ;)

Aug 31, 2004
Austin, TX
My biggest frustration has been the lines. The D line has been pretty lack luster and has gotten pushed around in games. The O Line started well, but appears to be regressing. Note all this is coming from someone who never played football and can't always watch the games with a ton of attention. So, grain of salt for ya'll.
My biggest frustration has been the lack of creativity from the OC/HC. So far, Yurcich looks like Lincoln Riley compared to Gleeson. What happened to the offensive creativity he had at Princeton? Pretty sure I know the answer (Gundy.) But by being so vanilla/predictable, it only puts more burden on the OL, Sanders, Chuba and Tylan, and accentuates our weaknesses.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
My biggest frustration has been the lack of creativity from the OC/HC. So far, Yurcich looks like Lincoln Riley compared to Gleeson. What happened to the offensive creativity he had at Princeton? Pretty sure I know the answer (Gundy.) But by being so vanilla/predictable, it only puts more burden on the OL, Sanders, Chuba and Tylan, and accentuates our weaknesses.
Annnnd this too. It’s the adults, not the kids.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Careful! You are asking to be labeled a heretic and burned at the stake for impugning the infallible, iconic, mulleted super-hero that can do no wrong! ;)
I’m starting to sound that way for sure. I appreciate the heck fire out of the guy. I’m only frustrated because of his success and known capabilities. Wonder what T Boone would say?

Sep 21, 2019
Fargo
If we would of given Sanders the nod last year then maybe these growing pains would be over. Sanders has thrown some horrible balls at times. But it won't matter who the quarterback is if our offensive line can block. You might as well run sanders out there atleast his wheels are good enough to escape at times. The problems I see is Sanders is see doesn't go through any progressions. He zones in on one receiver and Jos eyes never leave that guy. Partially could be he knows that's the only one he has time to look st before he gets sacked.
We have been very average the last few years at developing our linemen. They seem to never get better. I'm very disaapointed in Gundy in general. His hires have been very questionable. Are we truly better on defense than we were with Glen Spencer? Offensively Gundy will not turn the reins loose to any offensive coordinator he is way smarter offensively in his mind.