Talk me down from my football expectations

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

pokes16

Territorial Marshal
Oct 16, 2003
Tulsa
You guys watcthing Gundy on espnu? Pretty revealing stuff. Pretty much told coach Patterson that we don't waste time with kickoff returns in practice .
When is the last time we gave up a TD on kickoffs? If it is not a huge deal don’t spend much time.

Aug 16, 2012
You guys watcthing Gundy on espnu? Pretty revealing stuff. Pretty much told coach Patterson that we don't waste time with kickoff returns in practice .
Why? Our return average was 18 yards and if we just fair catch, it goes to the 25. No time off the clock, nobody gets hurt. No chance at a fumble.

In the B12, only one team had return yardage greater than the 25 yard gift you get for just fair catching (KSU). Not like there is a huge likelihood for reward as KSU had four returns for TD, WVU had one and the rest of the conference had....zero.

Average touchback percentage across the B12+Oregon State+Tulsa+TAMU (our D1 opponents who actually made the list) was 45% so almost half of the received kicks were moot. The average return percentage among those was 44% while ours was a comparable 42%. The return yardage difference between the B12 as a whole and OSU? 2.0 per attempt. A lot of complaining over 2.0 yards per return.

Why waste the time. It is a gift to just fair catch it and take the ball at the 25. We should take it every time we can and if it means 15 minutes a day spent on something else, I am OK with that.

Last edited:

Celldweller7

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Jul 17, 2004
A very specific place
Chuba back
Wallace back
Young DL back and reinforced
Bundage back
Stoner back
Most of OL back with NFL caliber reinforcement
Defense improving for first time in many years
Sanders 2nd year as the man

Schedule has the Horns coming to Stillwater and Sooners may take a slight step back due to many NFL defections.

I think it’s at least fair to expect the first appearance in the Big XII title game.
I love all of it, though I'm not sure what my expectations of Dunn at OC are supposed to be. He has been here for a long time and is a highly regarded position coach, so I have to assume he has more or less agreed with our offensive philosophies over the years. You'd figure if he adamantly disagreed he'd go somewhere else (coaching is more collaborative than I think many of us want to believe). So, I'll be interested to see how that goes as I don't think he'll run anything dramatically different than what we're used to.

More than anything I think our season is set on Sanders development. If he can slow the game down, read those defenses better, and become more confident in his decisions, then we are very dangerous. If Sanders is still essentially a single read guy, I think we can make it work, but we'll be left to out-athleting people to some degree.

Mfa6677

Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Jan 15, 2016
Kansas
I’m pretty damned pumped today and was already looking forward to next year. That being said if you are really excited for next season and want in on over 9.5 wins at -190........let me know. That’ll show how excited you really are

Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
Chuba back
Wallace back
Young DL back and reinforced
Bundage back
Stoner back
Most of OL back with NFL caliber reinforcement
Defense improving for first time in many years
Sanders 2nd year as the man

Schedule has the Horns coming to Stillwater and Sooners may take a slight step back due to many NFL defections.

I think it’s at least fair to expect the first appearance in the Big XII title game.

More than anything I think our season is set on Sanders development. If he can slow the game down, read those defenses better, and become more confident in his decisions, then we are very dangerous. If Sanders is still essentially a single read guy, I think we can make it work, but we'll be left to out-athleting people to some degree.
I agree 100%. If Sanders progresses we could have special offense. If he struggles like he did at times this year we will sputter even with Wallace and Chubba

I for one think he will step up his game

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
I’m pretty damned pumped today and was already looking forward to next year. That being said if you are really excited for next season and want in on over 9.5 wins at -190........let me know. That’ll show how excited you really are
Do you have a number to call for free locks of the week?

Dec 17, 2011
This should ALMOST feel about how we (or at least i) felt when weeden and blackmon were coming back. I am still not 100% sold on sanders yet. BUT this is probably the deepest we have been as a team since 2011. Expectations, at least a bid to the big 12 championship (finally).

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
This is oSu football we are talking here...

We will lose that one game that we had no business losing. It’s just part of who we are.

With that being said, I still expect us to win the B12 next year now.

BUT... a one loss oSu does NOT get to backdoor in to the playoffs like oU does every year.

Jan 14, 2006
I love all of it, though I'm not sure what my expectations of Dunn at OC are supposed to be. He has been here for a long time and is a highly regarded position coach, so I have to assume he has more or less agreed with our offensive philosophies over the years. You'd figure if he adamantly disagreed he'd go somewhere else (coaching is more collaborative than I think many of us want to believe). So, I'll be interested to see how that goes as I don't think he'll run anything dramatically different than what we're used to.

Excellent post. Totally agree. The D is trending in the right direction and we're pretty loaded with offensive weapons. I think are somewhere between 9 and 12 wins depending on Sanders. Let's hope Rattay can helping take a couple steps forward.

Jun 4, 2014
Dallas, TX
Currently at the natty. Coaches have balls here. Haven’t seen any of that out of OSU since Chelf.

Deep fades to Wallace don’t count.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 14, 2010

Under that premise you'd also have to assume that Dunn didn't like the direction the offense went this year because he almost left.

That, in my opinion, is a good thing