Talk me down from my football expectations

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jan 13, 2008
Corinth, TX
I'd like to see us pull in one more high quality grad transfer, probably at corner, but you can also always use quality on the DL. If Clay gets a waiver, I don't see us having much room on the DL for a grad though. With Chuba coming back, I just don't see much benefit in adding a grad transfer RB either. Maybe a WR on offense, but we seem pretty well set there too. I'd hate to think we need an OL transfer with all the scholarships we've used at that position over the last few years, plus the WV addition, but maybe an elite LT?? What do you guys think, if you could pick an elite grad transfer to top off next year's team, what position would it be?
PUNTER. I joke but only kind of joke.

Edge Rusher that could also play LB.

Jan 13, 2008
Corinth, TX
That goes for the entire conference. We are all A LONG ways off from being relevant. Including the team to the south whether they like it or not.

Clemson, Ohio State, LSU, UGA, Bama are all bigger, stronger, faster, and more physical than any Big XII team. And it’s not even close. They also tackle like they know that’s the point of the game.

It was only a matter of time before someone figured out how to use those SEC athletes in an offensive system like we’re used to. Now an arms race is going to begin and the gap will get bigger.
I'm tired of seeing our first tackler trying to strip the ball immediately. Just tackle the guy. Let the second guy strip the ball. We have given up so many first downs, when a tackle would force a punt or keep it 3rd and long.

Jul 9, 2011
Yankees Tavern, Carlos Texas
While you make a point...it's also 14 teams vs 10 teams so that skews it a bit. Certainly, you have a point as It's still a disadvantage because of the talent in the top SEC schools is crazy deep as well.
I agree. Constantly see conference statistics that ignore the number of teams/players. SEC will have more of everything because they have more teams. Relevant stats would be per # of teams/players, etc. SEC 14, PAC 12, Big 10 is 12 teams for football, ACC is 12 for football. We are the smallest Power 5 conference and all else being equal should have the fewest players.

I grant we B12 would still be lowest, but nearly such a wide gap between us and other PAC 12, Big 10, ACC etc: SEC 36.8 per team, ACC 29.8 per team, B10 28.8 per team, PAC 12 26.5 per team and Big 12 23.6 per team.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2014
Dallas, TX
While you make a point...it's also 14 teams vs 10 teams so that skews it a bit. Certainly, you have a point as It's still a disadvantage because of the talent in the top SEC schools is crazy deep as well.
I agree. Constantly see conference statistics that ignore the number of teams/players. SEC will have more of everything because they have more teams. Relevant stats would be per # of teams/players, etc. SEC 14, PAC 12, Big 10 is 12 teams for football, ACC is 12 for football. We are the smallest Power 5 conference and all else being equal should have the fewest players.

I grant we B12 would still be lowest, but nearly such a wide gap between us and other PAC 12, Big 10, ACC etc: SEC 36.8 per team, ACC 29.8 per team, B10 28.8 per team, PAC 12 26.5 per team and Big 12 23.6 per team.
I agree a rate is a better metric for comparisons sake. But the point still stands as you can see. We are significantly down the pecking order from the SEC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO

https://footballscoop.com/news/nfl-draft-picks-conference-years/

Here's an article with a metric breakdown like you're talking about, & it ain't any better.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Until someone actually dethrones ou, than there is no reason to pick anyone else.. They had their rebuilding season this year and still won the league. There's no reason for OSU to not finish top 2 in the league, anything under that is a letdown. Texas will be Texas, Baylor will go back to sucking, WVU is middle class, ISU loses games they shouldn't... This conference is bush league outside 1 to 3 teams per season.
Actually ou is losing talent and has lost their 5 star qb that was coming in. Unless rattler is a superstar, they will be rebuilding next year also.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Actually ou is losing talent and has lost their 5 star qb that was coming in. Unless rattler is a superstar, they will be rebuilding next year also.

Well for one, how many elite WR's has OU produced going back a decade? Stills, Westbrook, Shepard, Brown, Lamb, Broyles come to mind. Something tells me they'll be fine there.

As for QB, I'm not sure there's a better guy running offense in college right now than Riley. Having said that, it'll be the first time for him not to have a QB with some real experience already.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
That's no joke--Hutton is terrible. Can't believe we had to bring in someone from Australia to kick it 30 yards.
I saw film of him booming huge punts before he came. Trick photography or is it just different with a D rushing you?
He can do it here, and he has, he just isn't consistent with his form. There's something he's doing that if he cleans that up then he's booming punts on a regular basis.

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
I saw film of him booming huge punts before he came. Trick photography or is it just different with a D rushing you?
Before he even got here, I read that a kicking recruiting analyst had watched his un-edited video and he would get off a big punt one of every 10 punts. His "highlite" video cut out all the duds.

And this was confirmed by practice reports this year. They said that he would only get off a good kick now-and-then.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
To be fair we only have 10 teams in our conference, but I get your point.
I literally posted a link to an article using an adjusted metric for draftees by conference 8 posts before this one. It's there if you want to check it out, & it doesn't look any better than just the raw numbers.

And the SEC has 40% more teams, hardly accounting for the difference.

w0lfe

Wrangler
Aug 23, 2010

It was a 2021 kid, and supposedly they're leading for the other 5 star QB in that class. If Rattler shapes up to all the hype that has surrounded him, 2021 doesn't mean a thing about who they bring in. I mean damn, I would love nothing more than to have three 2019 5 star WR's with the number 1 2019 QB and number 1/2 2019 TE

Feb 4, 2016
florida
D'Eriq King will be their QB next year......
This was mentioned on COLLEGE FOOTBAL LIVE on ESPN yesterday. They listed Miami and another school as a possible destination for him. One analyst stated the one school he wouldn't be attending would be ou. Said it would be death for all future recruitment of high school qbs. Guess we will see