Talk me down from my football expectations

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Feb 18, 2009
I think that's what Patterson was referring to the other night when he & Gundy were doing the CFP CG coverage.
This was mentioned on COLLEGE FOOTBAL LIVE on ESPN yesterday. They listed Miami and another school as a possible destination for him. One analyst stated the one school he wouldn't be attending would be ou. Said it would be death for all future recruitment of high school qbs. Guess we will see
I was only half kidding. Once he said he wasn't leaving and then he did, they were the first ones to come to mind.

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
This was mentioned on COLLEGE FOOTBAL LIVE on ESPN yesterday. They listed Miami and another school as a possible destination for him. One analyst stated the one school he wouldn't be attending would be ou. Said it would be death for all future recruitment of high school qbs. Guess we will see
Arkansas has been a popular guess. King has relationship with their OC.

TypicalGooner

Territorial Marshal
Oct 21, 2011
Norman Trailerpark
and Sooners may take a slight step back due to many NFL defections.
Only two Sooners are leaving early for the NFL Draft: Ceedee Lamb and Kenneth Murray. Both of whom received first round grades. Everybody else exhausted eligibility.

Ceedee with have one of two five star receivers replacing him in Jadon Haselwood or Theo Wease. Both are more than capable. Murray will be replaced by former five star LB Caleb Kelly in a “prove it” season his senior year after coming off a knee injury and playing the last four games of the year in that position spelling the two inside backers.

OU will return every offensive line starter including Creed Humphrey. Got an essential red shirt season to Stacey Wilkins to beef up and he’s expected to win the LT spot.

OU loses Parnell Motley in the secondary to graduation, but gets back Tre Norwood who was injured during fall camp and was expected to be a starter in the secondary. Jaden Davis also had a very solid season in rotation as a true freshman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TypicalGooner

Territorial Marshal
Oct 21, 2011
Norman Trailerpark
Actually ou is losing talent and has lost their 5 star qb that was coming in. Unless rattler is a superstar, they will be rebuilding next year also.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
D'Eriq King will be their QB next year......
OU isn’t losing talent. Especially at QB. Rattler has an arm every bit as elite as Kyler Murray’s. Just without his speed. Although he’s plenty athletic. He’s very Mahomes like. Tanner Mordecai has been in the system three years now. He was offensive player of the year in the state of Texas coming out his senior year.

As far as 2021 QBs go, losing Vandergriff sucked but was rumored to be expected for a while. He’s from Georgia and his parents wanted him to stay close to home. Expect him to sign with either Georgia or Clemson. Caleb Williams is already on Riley’s radar and has visited OU already on his own dime back when Vandergriff was still committed. He’s a 5* also.

OU’s passing game will be going back to elite status next year. Rattler has that ability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 12, 2019
Dustin,ok
The David Lyle Boren curse will be a problem for the Sooner Nation unless he is reinstated to his Prez for Life status. I understand great legal minds Mike Turpin and other legal eagles are working hard for his reinstatement.

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
From ESPN this morning in an article about Winners/Losers on players declaring for the draft-
In 1st place is . . . . . .

Winners

Oklahoma State: It's a good time to be a Cowboy fan after OSU retained its top two offensive players for the 2020 season. Wide receiver Tylan Wallace, a Biletnikoff Award finalist in 2018 who tore his ACL during a late October practice, announced on New Year's Day that he would be back. Although his decision isn't a surprise, he gives Oklahoma State an established target with 139 receptions, 20 touchdowns and 2,394 receiving yards the past two seasons. The real stunner came when Chuba Hubbard, the Big 12 Offensive Player of the Year, also decided to return. Hubbard had been Mel Kiper's No. 5 draft-eligible running back and led the nation in both rushing yards (2,094) and carries (328). Oklahoma State returns arguably the nation's top triple threat in Hubbard, Wallace and sophomore quarterback Spencer Sanders.

sc5mu93

WeaselMonkey
A/V Subscriber
Oct 18, 2006
Spring, TX
Chuba back
Wallace back
Young DL back and reinforced
Bundage back
Stoner back
Most of OL back with NFL caliber reinforcement
Defense improving for first time in many years
Sanders 2nd year as the man

Schedule has the Horns coming to Stillwater and Sooners may take a slight step back due to many NFL defections.

I think it’s at least fair to expect the first appearance in the Big XII title game.
I'll talk you down with two words: off season.

There are a lot of pick up basketball games for blown knees, summer parties for DUI and possession issues, etc prior to the season. Always interesting with kids.

OSUMIKE17

Property of The Oklahoman and NewsOk.com
A/V Subscriber
Apr 11, 2009
Tulsa
While I haven't read every post in this thread.....

This is the kind of year that could get Gundy fired.

We finished 3rd (tied) in the Big-12 last season. We have the best skill players returning in the league. We have a defense that was showing signs of greatness at the end of the season. We have as much talent returning as anybody in the Conference.

Honestly, if we don't get to the 2020 Big-12 Championship it won't be because of our roster. It will be because of our coaching. And for the first time in many years, there will be pressure on Gundy to deliver. If he doesn't, it could be time to make a change.
Gundy isn’t getting fired. Let’s just take that off the table right now. It isn’t happening.

And if OSU doesn’t get to the Big 12 championship, it will have a whole lot more to do with Sanders’s growth from Year 1 to Year 2 (or lack thereof) than any stupid internet cliche about Gundy.

I’m also not sold on Dunn being able to call plays. He has zero experience at it other than a scripted drive versus a terrible Oregon State defense. Simply being around the offense as long as he has will help him for sure, but that doesn’t mean much when it comes to situational playcalling in pivotal moments.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2009
Gundy isn’t getting fired. Let’s just take that off the table right now. It isn’t happening.
Our 'fans' spend an inordinate amount of time talking about firing coaches. I am not sure I necessarily disagree with some of the sentiments in basketball (FTR I am not pro firing Boynton, just agree with the concerns being voiced) but now we have a second thread, different sport, ultimatum laid down for a coach to get fired.

OSUMIKE17

A/V Subscriber
Apr 11, 2009
Tulsa
Our 'fans' spend an inordinate amount of time talking about firing coaches. I am not sure I necessarily disagree with some of the sentiments in basketball (FTR I am not pro firing Boynton, just agree with the concerns being voiced) but now we have a second thread, different sport, ultimatum laid down for a coach to get fired.
In some cases, it’s justified and I get it.

In other cases, it may be justified but it just isn’t going to happen.

In this case, it wouldn’t be justified and there is no way it would happen.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
....but that doesn’t mean much when it comes to situational playcalling in pivotal moments.
As compared to the terrible (predictable, just plain dumb, inexcusable, baffling, etc...) calls we've seen in such pivotal moments since Monken left? Honestly, it can't get much worse than what we've seen the last few years. I'm willing to give someone else a shot at figuring out how to call legitimate plays in those moments.

OSUMIKE17

A/V Subscriber
Apr 11, 2009
Tulsa
As compared to the terrible (predictable, just plain dumb, inexcusable, baffling, etc...) calls we've seen in such pivotal moments since Monken left? Honestly, it can't get much worse than what we've seen the last few years. I'm willing to give someone else a shot at figuring out how to call legitimate plays in those moments.
It actually can get worse. Especially when the OC doesn’t have any experience whatsoever at calling plays.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
It actually can get worse. Especially when the OC doesn’t have any experience whatsoever at calling plays.
We were ranked 77 out of 130 for 3rd down conversions for 2019 at just under 39%. Given our weak schedule, and the fact that we have guys like Chuba and Wallace, you could put a monkey in the booth and convert at our 2019 %.

OSUMIKE17

A/V Subscriber
Apr 11, 2009
Tulsa
We were ranked 77 out of 130 for 3rd down conversions for 2019 at just under 39%. Given our weak schedule, and the fact that we have guys like Chuba and Wallace, you could put a monkey in the booth and convert at our 2019 %.
77th out of 130 teams means 53 teams did worse than we did. So, yes, it could be worse.

And really, simply using 3rd down conversion rate as the sole, determining factor of situational playcalling success is a bit short-sighted.

But even if you want to go that route, it’s all relative, isn’t it? So with Chuba and Wallace coming back, and a year of experience under Sanders’s belt, the expectation of converting 3rd downs raises. If by the end of the 2020 season OSU is 70th out of 130 teams, is that really an improvement with all the above factors considered?

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
77th out of 130 teams means 53 teams did worse than we did. So, yes, it could be worse.

And really, simply using 3rd down conversion rate as the sole, determining factor of situational playcalling success is a bit short-sighted.

But even if you want to go that route, it’s all relative, isn’t it? So with Chuba and Wallace coming back, and a year of experience under Sanders’s belt, the expectation of converting 3rd downs raises. If by the end of the 2020 season OSU is 70th out of 130 teams, is that really an improvement with all the above factors considered?
I wouldn't consider that an improvement. And I'd mostly measure it against actual conversion %, not national ranking. But I digress....... My point is that a lot of our success is likely related to having a couple of superior playmakers, and that our play calling was really bad in critical situations (many of them 3rd downs). If Dunn has even a halfway decent feel for calling plays, then I expect our third down conversion % to go way up.

OSUMIKE17

A/V Subscriber
Apr 11, 2009
Tulsa
I wouldn't consider that an improvement. And I'd mostly measure it against actual conversion %, not national ranking. But I digress....... My point is that a lot of our success is likely related to having a couple of superior playmakers, and that our play calling was really bad in critical situations (many of them 3rd downs). If Dunn has even a halfway decent feel for calling plays, then I expect our third down conversion % to go way up.
I think it’s a bit more nuanced than that...and a lot also rides on how much Sanders has improved...just as 3rd down conversions last year rode on the shoulders of a brand new starting RS freshman QB. But I digress.

Aug 31, 2004
Austin, TX
Honestly, if we don't get to the 2020 Big-12 Championship it won't be because of our roster. It will be because of our coaching. And for the first time in many years, there will be pressure on Gundy to deliver. If he doesn't, it could be time to make a change.
Gundy's always going to get out-coached a couple of times a season, aside from the annual Bedlam beatdown--that's just the way it is. He WILL deliver.....a 9-3 season and a two or three-way tie for second.