1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Tennis and Soccer Facilities

Discussion in 'OSU Sports Forum' started by CSpoke, Jun 19, 2012.

1. osu_cowboy_007

osu_cowboy_007 Cowboy

Why?
  2. savagerebel

A/V Subscriber savagerebel Cowboy

There are crews working on remodeling the Colvin Annex. Does that have anything to do with the tennis facilities? It looks really nice from the road.
  3. Triton Poke

Triton Poke Deputy

Those courts actually belong to Rec Sports. I know they were completely renovating the annex as part of the overall renovations to the Colvin Center.
  4. osu_cowboy_007

osu_cowboy_007 Cowboy

Any pics?
  5. Blackhawk Hockey

Blackhawk Hockey gifs are good

I hope to god they aren't putting the track around the soccer field. So far I would say they are doing a great job with the facility expansions at osu, but this would be a mistake. The girls don't deserve a half ass combo soccer field. They are one of our better teams and a high school complex isn't acceptable. I take that back...my high school didn't have a track around our field. Hopefully they aren't short cutting to save some money. It isn't as involving for the fans, and the girls don't get the homecourt advantage like they do now.

Don't screw this up AD!
  6. hoopjunkie

hoopjunkie Cowboy

has nothing to do with the new tennis facility.....the new tennis facility is going to be north of the Watkins Center (McElroy and Washington)
  7. poorfarmpoke

poorfarmpoke Cowboy

I drove by Tuesday evening. If you remember the parking lot slopes to the East. Major leveling is needed before any construction can start. They get it level then they have to do the plumbing. No work has started as of last Tuesday.
  8. JTB1897

JTB1897 Wrangler

TU hosted the NCAA National Championships in 2008, I believe. I've heard that many out-of-staters also didn't find their set-up very fan friendly either, which is probably why TU hasn't really been in the running to host another Championships since then.
  9. I_Miss_Ivan_McFarlin

A/V Subscriber I_Miss_Ivan_McFarlin Escapee from the PC nuthouse

Renovating the Colvin again? What are they doing this time?
  10. Triton Poke

Triton Poke Deputy

I didn't explain that well enough. The renovations to the annex are part of the master plan for the Colvin, which the main phase was the toal renoavation that was recently completed.
  11. Triton Poke

Triton Poke Deputy

Crap! Total renovation and expansion to the main facility. As I understadn it this last phase of renovations is to the annex, tennis courts and intramural fields.
  12. Kenny Orange Powers

Kenny Orange Powers Wrangler

Yeah buddy!
  13. ORANGEOKIE

ORANGEOKIE Wrangler

The new Soccer stadium will not have a track, the OSU Soccer coaches were against that. I was told a few weeks ago that just about all of the "underground" type work (Water / sewer lines, electrical...ect) have been completed for the new Tennis facility
    osusaylorbry likes this.
  14. savagerebel

A/V Subscriber savagerebel Cowboy

I can get some pics sometime in the next could of days. I go on shift tomorrow and will be able to go by when I get off the next day.
  15. hoopjunkie

hoopjunkie Cowboy

They have actually hosted the NCAA's twice.......2008 was men's and women's...........
    I just think that Georgia is going to host a larger number, because their facilities are so fan friendly.....it's more about the attendance (and revenue) than layout of the facility....nothing wrong with TU.....but for me, I like courts lined up in a row more.......where fans can watch several matches at once easier.....
  16. hoopjunkie

hoopjunkie Cowboy

perhaps most of you weren't aware, but we (OSU, and yes, I was directly involved and did much of the planning and work) hosted the women's D-I championship in 1985, at the Oklahoma City Tennis Center......more than tripled the attendance records at the time for the women's event (which was only in it's fourth year)......Cowgirls lost in the quarterfinals to #6 Cal-Berkely 5-4 (lost number 3 doubles 7-6, 7-6, and had set points in both sets), after beating #3 Texas in the first round 6-3. We had 5,000 fans on the day of that quarterfinals show up at the tennis center (for a women's only tournament, that may well still be a record).
    CowboyVenus likes this.
  17. barryrules

barryrules Cowboy

The new Res Life building will be going where the track currently sits, and the track is being moved to the Athletic Village. As of right now, there hasn't been talk of moving soccer yet.
    FightingtoWin likes this.
  18. colin1497

A/V Subscriber colin1497 Never throw the Venus in the Spider 3 Y Banana!

As I understand it (purely from message board posts), the university is relocating track and soccer separately and funding the replacement facilities on athletic department land in exchange for the land that these facilities currently occupy.
  19. hoopjunkie

hoopjunkie Cowboy

update on tennis facility.......
    what work that was done earlier in the month was to relocate some underground utilities (don't know specifically which one or ones).....now the actual earthwork will begin this month.
    PlatypusJojo likes this.
  20. StillwaterMan

A/V Subscriber StillwaterMan Beers and loud noises

I went to a handfull fo tennis matches while at OSU. Didnt see a one of you there.