Texas Bowl vs aTm

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jun 12, 2007
Unfortunately for us, I think you are spot on. In Gundy’s presser he talked about how many hard hits Chuba takes play after play and the wear and tear on his body. All it takes is one bad one and his draft stock is in serious jeopardy. He’s a good kid and, for him and his family, he needs to take the money and run.
OSU has had many running backs drafted in the NFL in the past and all played in their bowl game. None that I can think of got hurt in their bowl game. We are talking one game after not playing for a month. The other football players want to win. The fans who travel to a bowl want to see the best players playing. It is not cheap attending a bowl game. The conference wants a good showing against the other conference foes. You know a bowl wants to invite a team who is going to be playing their best players and not some gutted team. Thank goodness the vast majority of NFL bound players want to play in their bowl instead of bailing. If that scared of injury, buy a one game insurance policy.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Why do you find that strange? Aside from an insurance policy (no clue if he has one or not), he has a LOT more to lose than to gain from playing in a bowl.

Personally, I feel like he needs to get paid NOW. Gundy will run his legs off next season, which will just put more wear and tear on him. I've read some mock drafts, and a lot of scouts see his relatively light workload over the last two seasons (when averaged out) as a huge plus. Mileage is everything in the RB world, and putting another season of 20-30 touches per game on his body is just going to hurt his stock.

Wallace, on the other hand, probably needs to come back for another season. I believe he has the ability to play in the NFL next year, but scouts may view his health as a concern. He'll have to play next year just to dispel any concerns. WR is also different from RB in that mileage isn't as much a concern.
Unfortunately for us, I think you are spot on. In Gundy’s presser he talked about how many hard hits Chuba takes play after play and the wear and tear on his body. All it takes is one bad one and his draft stock is in serious jeopardy. He’s a good kid and, for him and his family, he needs to take the money and run.
I think he'll play. Not 100% sure on that though. And in regards to someone above, I had heard that both Wallace and Hubbard were given the clearance for insurance on case they got career ending injuries before getting onto an NFL team.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Nov 6, 2010
We should be going to the Camping World Bowl, but I just can't help but think they're going to want to match up Notre Dame and Texas. Just seems like something they would do. It would be fun to see us play Notre Dame. Almost happened in 2017, but they dodged us by going to the Citrus Bowl instead... hopefully they can't this year.
I"m thinking the same thing. No way they match us with Notre Dame, they'll want a name matchup. It would be one thing if we were also coming in at 10-2, but at 8-4, they're going to put us with Miss. State or aTm, wherever that ends up being. Because of that factor, I could see us sneaking into the Alamo with Oregon, but since Kstate already played Miss St. this year, Alamo will probably take them if not Baylor. Who knows...

Aug 7, 2006
I"m thinking the same thing. No way they match us with Notre Dame, they'll want a name matchup. It would be one thing if we were also coming in at 10-2, but at 8-4, they're going to put us with Miss. State or aTm, wherever that ends up being. Because of that factor, I could see us sneaking into the Alamo with Oregon, but since Kstate already played Miss St. this year, Alamo will probably take them if not Baylor. Who knows...
If a Big 12 team makes the playoffs(meaning the title game loser goes to the Sugar Bowl), I don't think the Alamo Bowl will pass on us for K-State. Texas? Probably so. Same with the Camping World Bowl. Really hoping we don't get bumped down to the Houston Bowl against A&M(lame) just because Texas might be back in the bowl game. Maybe with Herman making wholesale changes with his coaching staff we can hopefully hold on and play Notre Dame.

Nov 6, 2010
If a Big 12 team makes the playoffs(meaning the title game loser goes to the Sugar Bowl), I don't think the Alamo Bowl will pass on us for K-State. Texas? Probably so. Same with the Camping World Bowl. Really hoping we don't get bumped down to the Houston Bowl against A&M(lame) just because Texas might be back in the bowl game. Maybe with Herman making wholesale changes with his coaching staff we can hopefully hold on and play Notre Dame.
I'd rather play aTm than Miss. State though. And no way any coaching stuff is going to affect where Texas goes. I think if a bowl can possibly get a Notre Dame vs Texas matchup, they'd be crazy not to. The only thing that makes me hedge that a bit is they had a home/home not too long ago, and it was pretty meh, so maybe the excitement wouldn't be that much. I read one prediction of Boston College, maybe in Phoenix. And honestly, if we don't get matched up with Notre Dame, I'd just as soon play them. We've never played before, and we'd most like whip them pretty soundly wherever we play. And Phoenix > than Houston for a destination IMO.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
OSU has had many running backs drafted in the NFL in the past and all played in their bowl game. None that I can think of got hurt in their bowl game. We are talking one game after not playing for a month. The other football players want to win. The fans who travel to a bowl want to see the best players playing. It is not cheap attending a bowl game. The conference wants a good showing against the other conference foes. You know a bowl wants to invite a team who is going to be playing their best players and not some gutted team. Thank goodness the vast majority of NFL bound players want to play in their bowl instead of bailing. If that scared of injury, buy a one game insurance policy.
Didn't Morency basically sit out a bowl?

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
because that's what these players do now, the top players who are going to the nfl generally don't play in the bowl games anymore
I was not aware he declared for the draft. He's a redshirt sophomore, and to my knowledge has not made that decision yet...Also, I heard that in the past we have underwritten insurance policies for guys like Rudolph, Washington and others who opted to stay their senior seasons (would be Junior season for Hubbard)...plus, even if he does declare, I would assume he plays. VERY few of our players do that...I don't think that sits well with "management" and I agree with them. Hubbard doesn't seem like an entitled young man and I'm sure he wants to go out with a boom if he does leave and ou was more of a fizzle than a boom.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
I was not aware he declared for the draft. He's a redshirt sophomore, and to my knowledge has not made that decision yet...Also, I heard that in the past we have underwritten insurance policies for guys like Rudolph, Washington and others who opted to stay their senior seasons (would be Junior season for Hubbard)...plus, even if he does declare, I would assume he plays. VERY few of our players do that...I don't think that sits well with "management" and I agree with them. Hubbard doesn't seem like an entitled young man and I'm sure he wants to go out with a boom if he does leave and ou was more of a fizzle than a boom.
How would Hubbard be acting entitled should he sit out the bowl game? Its about making a wise decision for him and his family. Playing in another game is a massive risk for an RB, and I wouldn't blame him one bit for sitting out. In fact, I hope he does so we can see some of our younger guys get experience, and it would mean Hubbard is going to live his dream of playing in the NFL. Honestly, the only entitlement attitude I see is from fans thinking they're entitled to watch him play another game.

PokeJ

Sheriff
Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
he also tweeted out, "thank you Cowboy nation for a great season".....sounds like he's done for the year
Not true. The vast majority of players do play in the bowl games. Mason Rudolph and Washington both played for example. Blackmon played in his bowl game. I find it strange Chubba would not want to play in the bowl game with his team mates.
This. It’s actually a more rare occurrence than us being presented in this thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
How would Hubbard be acting entitled should he sit out the bowl game? Its about making a wise decision for him and his family. Playing in another game is a massive risk for an RB, and I wouldn't blame him one bit for sitting out. In fact, I hope he does so we can see some of our younger guys get experience, and it would mean Hubbard is going to live his dream of playing in the NFL. Honestly, the only entitlement attitude I see is from fans thinking they're entitled to watch him play another game.
I could also point to some pros who say they wish they would have played another year of college ball before going pro and not having it work out. Some guys say they are glad they got their degree, others say they loved the additional year of college...some are all about the money and may need it. I totally disagree with you on most subjects regarding OSU football, so it's no surprise I also disagree with you on this one.

Bottom-line, he hasn't even declared yet...so why, do some of our fans act as if he has? Gundy can point to several recent players who stayed an additional year and it didn't hurt their draft stock or them at all...Rudolph, Washington, others...I'm nearly positive that OSU took out insurance for both Washington and Rudolph so they could justify staying. He can also point to several guys who left early and aren't in the league anymore or never even made a dime from their decision. IF both of our stars stay we could actually do what you think we can't do under this coach but you seem to want them to go pro...I just don't understand that mentality...and you talk about being defeatist.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2003
Edmond, OK
After the game, Dave Hunziker and Holcomb were discussing our Bowl possibilities...

They believed:

- OU and Baylor to NY6
- Kansas State to Alamo
- Texas to Orlando
- Okla State to Houston.

Their logic was Alamo is interested in Kansas State because its been so long since they've been to the Alamo Bowl. They stated that Orlando had expressed interest in Texas to play Notre Dame. Houston in interested in OSU because we haven't been there since 2002.

So while they could not say with any certainty that would be the results, my belief is they have knowledge of discussions that are ongoing and have a pretty informed view of our Bowl possibilities.

I'll be really surprised if we play anywhere but Houston.

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
After the game, Dave Hunziker and Holcomb were discussing our Bowl possibilities...

They believed:

- OU and Baylor to NY6
- Kansas State to Alamo
- Texas to Orlando
- Okla State to Houston.

Their logic was Alamo is interested in Kansas State because its been so long since they've been to the Alamo Bowl. They stated that Orlando had expressed interest in Texas to play Notre Dame. Houston in interested in OSU because we haven't been there since 2002.

So while they could not say with any certainty that would be the results, my belief is they have knowledge of discussions that are ongoing and have a pretty informed view of our Bowl possibilities.

I'll be really surprised if we play anywhere but Houston.
Makes sense, except for the KSU part. Not sure what's so attractive about a KSU that you haven't had in a while. . . .

Aug 7, 2006
Makes sense, except for the KSU part. Not sure what's so attractive about a KSU that you haven't had in a while. . . .
K-State fans travel quite well and the thought is they might bring more fans since they haven't been there as recently as us. I personally don't see the Alamo passing OSU up for K-State. We have a good reputation there as well and one of the most exciting players in the country. That's a pretty good combo for bowls to want.

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
K-State fans travel quite well and the thought is they might bring more fans since they haven't been there as recently as us. I personally don't see the Alamo passing OSU up for K-State. We have a good reputation there as well and one of the most exciting players in the country. That's a pretty good combo for bowls to want.
Agreed. And the state of TX has lots of OSU alums, fewer KSU alums

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
I could also point to some pros who say they wish they would have played another year of college ball before going pro and not having it work out. Some guys say they are glad they got their degree, others say they loved the additional year of college...some are all about the money and may need it. I totally disagree with you on most subjects regarding OSU football, so it's no surprise I also disagree with you on this one.

Bottom-line, he hasn't even declared yet...so why, do some of our fans act as if he has? Gundy can point to several recent players who stayed an additional year and it didn't hurt their draft stock or them at all...Rudolph, Washington, others...I'm nearly positive that OSU took out insurance for both Washington and Rudolph so they could justify staying. He can also point to several guys who left early and aren't in the league anymore or never even made a dime from their decision. IF both of our stars stay we could actually do what you think we can't do under this coach but you seem to want them to go pro...I just don't understand that mentality...and you talk about being defeatist.
First off - it is 100% Hubbard's decision, and I won't be upset either way he goes. But some of our fans (maybe you?) act like playing in the bowl game is noble, and that if he doesn't play, its some indictment on him as a person. Such a mindset seems very selfish and immature. Given his abilities and the stats to back them up, I personally see no reason that he should stay. Simply put - he has nothing to gain and everything to lose from playing a bowl game, and I wouldn't be surprised or upset if he decided to sit it out.

That's what I think about Hubbard. But that doesn't mean that I believe all players should do that. I thought Josh Stewart's decision to go pro was a bad move. I thought Rudolph needed all the time he could get, because he was still struggling with footwork and reading defenses. JW was similar to Hubbard in that I believe he could have gone a year earlier, but obviously decided to stay.

It seems like you're saying that its more noble for a kid to choose playing in a bowl game so a bunch of a fans can have a fun trip, and bowl owners/TV networks can profit handsomely versus a kid choosing to do what's best for their career/family. Seems really messed up if you ask me.

Your last sentence is a great example of why we disagree so often. You just don't/can't see why myself and others are upset. Its not about the W-L record.
1. I support players going pro if they choose to. Its their life. Its irrelevant if their choice helps or hurts OSU. OSU is a freaking corporation that's out to profit from the NCAA football money machine. The player is a human being that has their own complicated priorities. I'll support the player over our program nearly every time.
2. Since Monken left, we've basically run 7 plays on offense and had zero creativity or progressive philosophy. We can win against inferior or sometimes equal opponents, because we often have a guy like James Washington, Justice Hill, Tylan Wallace, and Chuba Hubbard - guys that can literally out-athlete people to win one-on-one battles. That approach just can't hang with teams that land 4-5* recruits and out-athlete our stud skill players. So right off the bat, our scheme kills any chance we have of winning our conference or getting into the CFB Playoff. Zero chance unless uo were to have some major meltdown or something. Even our record-setting QBs haven't been very good in the grand scheme. Want proof? Name a QB from the Mike Gundy era that has had success in the NFL. I'll wait.

So.....I believe Gundy has built a scheme that basically gives us zero chance against more talented teams, and if our goal is to win the Big 12 or better, then he's holding us back.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
So.....I believe Gundy has built a scheme that basically gives us zero chance against more talented teams, and if our goal is to win the Big 12 or better, then he's holding us back.
He's been beating more talented teams regularly in Austin. Last season, as crazy as it was, demonstrated an ability to beat higher ranked teams.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Good point. But I believe their problem is coaching as well. Herman and his staff are THAT bad.
I guess the previous staff was as well? Cause he beat them too with far lessor rated talent. He also beat the staff before that one...maybe ushering it's demise even.