Texas football

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Apr 7, 2006
Football coaches doing what's convenient for them... same thing with Lincoln Riley. It's so incredibly disingenuous it makes my head spin. These guys are just going with the flow and/or trying to capitalize off of this.

I take no responsibility for what happened in Minnesota or Georgia, have no feeling of guilt and will do nothing to change what happens in the future in those places. I see it as a tragedy, hate that it has happened and hope it stops. I wish police brutality didn't exist and racism didn't exist, but pretending they'll end entirely is foolish unfortunately.

I will take responsibility for my choices, my children until they leave my house and my circle of influence. None of those requires a poster board, a virtue signaling post on social media or throwing a brick at an innocent person's business.

I sincerely hope OSU/Gundy stick to the issues they can impact.

Apr 7, 2006
You are part of the problem and am embarrassed that you want to represent OSU.
The world (and this issue) isn't black and white. Youre not on one side or the other. There's nuance and gray in most matters. You don't have to agree with everything someone says in order to respect them and try to understand where they're coming from. Regardless of the issue, that's what has to change in our world as much as anything and we can all be part of that.

Apr 7, 2006
Not sure why anyone interested in unity ever uses the term "white privilege." Its doing nothing but singling out a group and creating a wedge in a world that has plenty of hate. Am I blessed to not have the same struggles as a black man? Yes. I also count myself blessed to have freedoms and opportunities that few in the world have. Does that make me feel bad? No, it makes me count my blessings and do what I can to give to others less fortunate.

The world has plenty of hate and division. Give respect and love and listen to others - we have more in common than than we realize.

Nov 6, 2010
Not sure why anyone interested in unity ever uses the term "white privilege." Its doing nothing but singling out a group and creating a wedge in a world that has plenty of hate. Am I blessed to not have the same struggles as a black man? Yes. I also count myself blessed to have freedoms and opportunities that few in the world have. Does that make me feel bad? No, it makes me count my blessings and do what I can to give to others less fortunate.

The world has plenty of hate and division. Give respect and love and listen to others - we have more in common than than we realize.
I don't have a problem with the term. To me it is more about awareness and empathy than division. There is nothing wrong with or to feel bad about acknowledging that being born white in the USA over the last half century is a pretty darn good situation to be in. It doesn't guaranty success or even define a person, it is just an advantage.

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
Such a complex issue. The way we treat people is not equal. But how do we get there?

We want to end racism but yet many places (my work included) have special programs to hire women and minorities. How is that hiring w/o prejudice ?

We play the best players on the field/court regardless of skin color but yet we demand more black coaches ?

We want people to hear the inequality pain of African Americans so we kneel during the National Anthem showing disrespect for those that gave their lives for our Country or we loot and vandalize businesses ? How is that justice for all ?

Do I find Herman and Riley insincere ? Sure.

An speaking of opportunistic.... how about Biden ? Now saying he can make change. Why the hell didn't he do something when he was #2 for 8 years (and had an African American #1 at that time) ?

If this were easy, we'd already be there.

Nov 6, 2010
The world (and this issue) isn't black and white. Youre not on one side or the other. There's nuance and gray in most matters. You don't have to agree with everything someone says in order to respect them and try to understand where they're coming from. Regardless of the issue, that's what has to change in our world as much as anything and we can all be part of that.
I would add green to the equation. Financial status has at least as much if not more to do with unequal treatment in society than race. You don't see the cops or restaurants rolling out the red carpet for the typical trailer park dwelling, mullet wearing white dude either.

Apr 7, 2006
Agree. In general I continue to see both extremes pushed forward by political parties and the media and I think people are falling into the trap. On the COVID-19 issue it seemed many would like to behave as though you were either a protester to open things up or a person that wants the country shut down until a vaccine is available. In reality, most people (not all) were somewhere in the middle and when you have a good discussion you find you're probably pretty similar to someone you think you disagree with. The current response to George Floyd is probably similar. The world isn't MSNBC and Fox News.

Oct 25, 2009
Twin Falls, ID
Obviously noone wants to hear honesty on this issue. Deleting posts of people who dont have whats considered to be the PC opinion of this matter is exactly what is wrong with media outlets today.

Oct 25, 2009
Twin Falls, ID
To perfect examples of white privilege.
What exactly is "white privelege"?

Fyi...I grew up in a single parent household with my mom earning a whopping $650 per month. We all worked to help make ends meet and had little to our names. I could have blamed my dad for not paying child support, my step father for being an abusive p.o.s., or the education system for not paying teachers enough. I could have resorted to theft, drugs, alcohol, or any other vice. But no...i busted my ass to make straight As get high scores on my ACT and SAT, went to college, got a degree, and worked my way up in life. Thats the opportunity that exists in this country regardless of the color of your skin. Nothing was handed to me. So, I ask...what is this "white privelege" you speak of. Seems to me to be just another word thrown around to make white people feel guilty simply because we are white. Guess what, I dont identify with my skin color. I identify as an Anglo Saxon mutt. I am offended by questionnaires that ask for me to voluntarily identify my race, religion, or any other demographic info. So take your "white privelege" mantra and shove it up your ass.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Agree. In general I continue to see both extremes pushed forward by political parties and the media and I think people are falling into the trap. On the COVID-19 issue it seemed many would like to behave as though you were either a protester to open things up or a person that wants the country shut down until a vaccine is available. In reality, most people (not all) were somewhere in the middle and when you have a good discussion you find you're probably pretty similar to someone you think you disagree with. The current response to George Floyd is probably similar. The world isn't MSNBC and Fox News.

A-freaking-men!!!

I'd add that the world isn't Twitter, either.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
You are part of the problem and am embarrassed that you want to represent OSU.
Wow. This person got the ban hammer pretty quick.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
To perfect examples of white privilege.

Fyi...I grew up in a single parent household with my mom earning a whopping $650 per month. We all worked to help make ends meet and had little to our names. I could have blamed my dad for not paying child support, my step father for being an abusive p.o.s., or the education system for not paying teachers enough. I could have resorted to theft, drugs, alcohol, or any other vice. But no...i busted my ass to make straight As get high scores on my ACT and SAT, went to college, got a degree, and worked my way up in life. Thats the opportunity that exists in this country regardless of the color of your skin. Nothing was handed to me. So, I ask...what is this "white privelege" you speak of. Seems to me to be just another word thrown around to make white people feel guilty simply because we are white. Guess what, I dont identify with my skin color. I identify as an Anglo Saxon mutt. I am offended by questionnaires that ask for me to voluntarily identify my race, religion, or any other demographic info. So take your "white privelege" mantra and shove it up your ass.
Many times, black students that do bust their butts are called whitey or uncle Tom. Similar to those that dare have an opinion against Democrats when they are adults. Sad

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2009

1EE97D88-5FB3-454D-9AF0-130733DE2720.jpeg

You my man pokearound are racist. All I had to do is read your cry baby post. And sadly you’re so angry and Blind to even know it.

Last edited:

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
I don't have a problem with the term. To me it is more about awareness and empathy than division. There is nothing wrong with or to feel bad about acknowledging that being born white in the USA over the last half century is a pretty darn good situation to be in. It doesn't guaranty success or even define a person, it is just an advantage.
It seems this advantage has been confused with the blessing of having two parents that love their child so much that they’ll work their asses off to make sure the child has all of its wants met.

Apr 7, 2006
View attachment 81404

You my man pokearound are racist. All I had to do is read your cry baby post. And sadly you’re so angry and Blind to even know it.
Again I ask, why is this necessary? You don't know him or his motives. Why do people find it convenient to recklessly use terns like 'white privilege' and 'racist' when we're striving for equality and peace? It isn't necessary.

Nov 6, 2010
It seems this advantage has been confused with the blessing of having two parents that love their child so much that they’ll work their asses off to make sure the child has all of its wants met.
This is a huge statement, and I could not agree more that it has more to do with all our societal ills than any other factor. But I'd give it a slightly different slant, in that I believe almost everyone loves their children, but not everyone loves or at least respects their marriage, or the institution in general.