Thanks Coach Boynton for putting in such hard work!!

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Nov 14, 2010
Not like any were beating down the doors. And other people's answer to Boynton was Gottlieb. Any belief we'd be better at this point?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Yes
And....
Before you ask
It's simply my opinion and based on nothing else
But....
1) I think we'd have better players in the system
I think Gottlieb would have recruited better and had better retention of his best players
2) We would have had much better crowds the last 2 years with Gottlieb. While it would have turned some people off, it would have energized a larger amount of people at OSU and would have given a spike to attendance, at least intitially.
3) From and x and o perspective.....Would it be worse than what we have now? I can't imagine Gottlieb not having a vast vast understanding of the game of basketball.
4) If we were going to bring in a guy that was going to have to learn on the job, like Boynton is doing, why not that person be Gottlieb?

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2010
Boynton should have never said "The time is now!"

He's getting better each year. Our talent is getting better each year. He's not an established fast builder like Chris Beard, nor do I think he has the ability to put it together that like Beard or coach as well. He's special in that regard.

I think it's going to be real simple. Cunningham will have to give us a big bump next year, and I think he will.

What will be interesting will be the different opinions coming based on how well we do next year....

Miss the NCAA -- almost all will be in agreement he needs to go.
NCAA first round loss -- This will have some dependency on how the season goes and if this is a big upset, but I think 80% of the fan base will have given up on Boynton if they don't win first round game with Cunningham. If we have a great year (top 2-3 in league play) and then run into one of those crazy upsets, it will be less than 80%.
NCAA second round loss -- This will be about 50/50. 50% will say the program is heading in the right direction. 50% will say "if you can't get past the first weekend with Cade Cunningham, you will never get past the first weekend."
NCAA Sweet 16 -- 80/20 to keep him
Elite 8 -- 95/5 to keep him
Final 4 -- Travis Ford Contract Extension!!

Mar 27, 2008
Not like any were beating down the doors. And other people's answer to Boynton was Gottlieb. Any belief we'd be better at this point?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Better under Gottlieb? I don't think so.

I still have hope that Coach Boynton will get this thing turned around. I think he's a good young coach who is still learning on the job. I think he will continue to get better and has the right work ethic to be great. The problem is that while he is still learning he's going against Hall of Fame coaches in one of the toughest leagues in the nation. I think a bigger issue than that though currently is we are handicapped by our seniors this year who we all have respect for, and this is nothing against them, but they just don't have the elite level talent that it takes to be competitive in the Big12. Boynton is bringing in talent that will make us competitive again. It will be interesting to see how the rest of this season goes and how our 2020 recruiting class fills out.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Better under Gottlieb? I don't think so.

I still have hope that Coach Boynton will get this thing turned around. I think he's a good young coach who is still learning on the job. I think he will continue to get better and has the right work ethic to be great. The problem is that while he is still learning he's going against Hall of Fame coaches in one of the toughest leagues in the nation. I think a bigger issue than that though currently is we are handicapped by our seniors this year who we all have respect for, and this is nothing against them, but they just don't have the elite level talent that it takes to be competitive in the Big12. Boynton is bringing in talent that will make us competitive again. It will be interesting to see how the rest of this season goes and how our 2020 recruiting class fills out.
Eh, simply an opinion built on "hope" & "think(ing) he's a good young coach..." "Think he'll get better..."

I hope you're right, but you could pretty much say all of the same things about Gottlieb.

Aug 16, 2012
Yes
And....
Before you ask
It's simply my opinion and based on nothing else
But....
Based on what? The fact Hardaway, one of his anointed saviors, in his first year at Memphis has them on the brink of sanction for giving a kid money?

I think Gottlieb would have recruited better and had better retention of his best players
Again, based on what? Pure speculation and since the guy is not part of AAU or any other actual playing venue, he is a nobody in the coaching world. No one could have imagined Watson's dilemma that may not even be a dilemma but it is likely to keep him from ever suiting up. No one could have imagined the three knuckleheads would start putting out windows with BB guns. Boynton was an unknown and the program in the crapper and under investigation due to something an assistant, an assistant he retained out of loyalty and to maintain some degree of continuity at a time the program had three coaches in the span of something like 18 months, did before MB ran the program. Most kids had better opportunities than OSU. Regardless, he pulled in the #2 kid in the country and has improved his recruitment ranking each year.

2) We would have had much better crowds the last 2 years with Gottlieb. While it would have turned some people off, it would have energized a larger amount of people at OSU and would have given a spike to attendance, at least intitially.
I guarantee you there are many, many, many people who go to OSU that do not have a clue who he is or care who he is other than someone who played for OSU before they were born. Presuming fans will come to see a coach is a stretch at best. IMO, fans come to see a team win, not marvel in the presence of a former player.

3) From and x and o perspective.....Would it be worse than what we have now? I can't imagine Gottlieb not having a vast vast understanding of the game of basketball.
He has a great Monday-morning perspective but that in no way means he has the ability to do the job during the game. He has no record of developing kids as a player. As I stated before, he took a team that played for the championship of the TBT four years ago and they lost first round this year under DG.

4) If we were going to bring in a guy that was going to have to learn on the job, like Boynton is doing, why not that person be Gottlieb?
Because he is not a coach. Because he has never recruited. Boynton is a coach that has a crappy team, part handed to him, part his own doing. Boynton had been a coach for 13 years when he was hired. Yes, he had to/has to learn how to become a head coach. DG would need to learn how to coach period.

Nov 14, 2010
Based on what? The fact Hardaway, one of his anointed saviors, in his first year at Memphis has them on the brink of sanction for giving a kid money?

Again, based on what? Pure speculation and since the guy is not part of AAU or any other actual playing venue, he is a nobody in the coaching world. No one could have imagined Watson's dilemma that may not even be a dilemma but it is likely to keep him from ever suiting up. No one could have imagined the three knuckleheads would start putting out windows with BB guns. Boynton was an unknown and the program in the crapper and under investigation due to something an assistant, an assistant he retained out of loyalty and to maintain some degree of continuity at a time the program had three coaches in the span of something like 18 months, did before MB ran the program. Most kids had better opportunities than OSU. Regardless, he pulled in the #2 kid in the country and has improved his recruitment ranking each year.

I guarantee you there are many, many, many people who go to OSU that do not have a clue who he is or care who he is other than someone who played for OSU before they were born. Presuming fans will come to see a coach is a stretch at best. IMO, fans come to see a team win, not marvel in the presence of a former player.

He has a great Monday-morning perspective but that in no way means he has the ability to do the job during the game. He has no record of developing kids as a player. As I stated before, he took a team that played for the championship of the TBT four years ago and they lost first round this year under DG.

Because he is not a coach. Because he has never recruited. Boynton is a coach that has a crappy team, part handed to him, part his own doing. Boynton had been a coach for 13 years when he was hired. Yes, he had to/has to learn how to become a head coach. DG would need to learn how to coach period.
Opinion

As I said clearly.... My opinion

I literally said......"It's simply my opinion and based on nothing else"

Clearly you don't think we would be better than 0-5 in the league to this point this year, 12-20 overall last year and 13-30 in Conference play the last 3 years under Boynton.

I do....
But....
Again....
As I said originally....."It's simply my opinion and based on nothing else"

Maybe there would have been a steeper learning curve for Gottlieb, but, to this point in his career, it's certainly proving to be a pretty steep one for Boynton.

I certainly hope Boynton can turn it around and get things figured out. He seems like a very likeable guy and a good fit for OSU if he could get it rolling.

But, the way this year has started to unfold it has to make OSU fans start wondering.

I do think though, that the fact that there was an entire "Bring Doug Home" campaign is pretty good evidence that there was a fairly large group of people that would have been excited by his return and would have created a pretty good buzz about him becoming coach. It stands to reason, that excitement would have led to an attendance bump, at least initially, as I said earlier.

Last edited:

Cro

we need some celery and a can of fake snow
A/V Subscriber
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond

actually, Gottlieb has coached some.........

Nov 14, 2010
Yup, I was just waiting on the Bring Doug Homers to show their faces on this thread.
Why not?
We're 0-5 in the league this year
We were 12-20 overall last year and we have been 13-30 in Conference play the last 3 years under since Gottlieb was not chosen.

The point is, What would have been worse? and.... If you're going to hire a guy with this steep of a learning curve, why not it be a guy like Gottlieb that would have created a buzz at OSU.

Seriously though, Gottlieb is never going to be our coach, and even the people like me who wanted Gottlieb are surely hoping that Boynton speeds up his learning curve and gets things figured out and starting tonight.

He has me convinced that he is a great fit, and had me convinced that he has the potential to become a very good coach here.

This year has brought that into question, at least for me.

But... I hope he gets things turned around and has a long and prosperous career here.

Go Pokes!

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2012
actually, Gottlieb has coached some.........
Two stints at the Maccabiah Games, player assistant at a Jr. College, assistant at a high school and the TBT last year. Know all about his coaching experience and how it is more than insufficient to be remotely considered as a D1 coach.

Aug 16, 2012
Opinion

As I said clearly.... My opinion

I literally said......"It's simply my opinion and based on nothing else"

Clearly you don't think we would be better than 0-5 in the league to this point this year, 12-20 overall last year and 13-30 in Conference play the last 3 years under Boynton.

I do....
But....
Again....
As I said originally....."It's simply my opinion and based on nothing else"

Maybe there would have been a steeper learning curve for Gottlieb, but, to this point in his career, it's certainly proving to be a pretty steep one for Boynton.

I certainly hope Boynton can turn it around and get things figured out. He seems like a very likeable guy and a good fit for OSU if he could get it rolling.

But, the way this year has started to unfold it has to make OSU fans start wondering.

I do think though, that the fact that there was an entire "Bring Doug Home" campaign is pretty good evidence that there was a fairly large group of people that would have been excited by his return and would have created a pretty good buzz about him becoming coach. It stands to reason, that excitement would have led to an attendance bump, at least initially, as I said earlier.
I get the opinion part, but I struggle to understand why this opinion even exists. The BDH contingent only offers speculation and whatifs, but no tangible, proven reasons why it would benefit the program. I believe you are a coach if I recall correctly. If you were an AD, would you hand over your team to the guy in the broadcast booth just because he used to go to school there and had a smattering of short-term coaching gigs with no real responsibility for recruitment or player development?

We are not UNC, Duke, etc. Sutton or those like him are not coming here....ever (again). We need to redevelop the program, essentially from scratch and not worry about short-term results. We need to give the guy time to develop kids and get results. Anything less does nobody any good.

Aug 16, 2012
Why is Gottlieb even being discussed in this thread? If we want to be upset by something, it should be why didn't we go after Beard instead of Underwood.
Because there are several posts that have resurrected the bring Doug home nonsense.

In hindsight, going after BU seems stupid and was counterproductive. But everyone has to admit, at the time, it was a darn good hire. He just turned out to be a snake and no one saw it coming.

Nov 2, 2004
Broken Arrow
Because there are several posts that have resurrected the bring Doug home nonsense.

In hindsight, going after BU seems stupid and was counterproductive. But everyone has to admit, at the time, it was a darn good hire. He just turned out to be a snake and no one saw it coming.
Hiring MB is the disaster...Underwood wanted to get paid and didn't, that was the best coached team we have had in 10years.

Nov 2, 2004
Broken Arrow
Yup, I was just waiting on the Bring Doug Homers to show their faces on this thread.
Here is one...but hey you guys be happy with the last place finish in the league and no tourny...yet again. But MB is a NICE guy and he will get in turned around even though the offense and defense looks completely lost every game. There is has been no improvement in 2.5 years...he keeps recruiting people that he has to kick off the team. But hey DG has never been a coach, but if MB is what being a coach in the past gets you then you can have it...complete garbage.