Thanks Coach Boynton for putting in such hard work!!

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Oct 30, 2007
The thing I don't understand is the regression. Last year we averaged 65.7 PPG in conference play. This year we're only averaging 56 PPG in conference play. We have everyone back and much better depth. How can we be this much worse when we should be better?

Waters, McGriff, & Dziagwa are all averaging fewer PPG than last year. Laurent went from a 46% 3-point shooter at Umass to a 24% 3-point shooter here. Why aren't we making changes to the offense if what we're doing isn't working?

There is no logical explanation for our regression. Either the players have given up, or the coaches are failing. Either way, it's a tough spot to be in.

Oct 7, 2015
St. Elmo, CO
Just a bunch of petty whining, about what you'd expect from a rat like him. I remember one of the things was him crying because Holder asked them to turn the lights off when they left the gym. Just throwing whatever he could out there to make himself look like less of a rat
So, Underwood had a problem with Holder saving the planet?
Perhaps Holder should have sent the electric bill to Underwood to pay.

And Underwood probably had a problem with lowering the thermostat to 68F.

I'm glad he's gone. And he still owes for two months of HBO.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
The thing I don't understand is the regression. Last year we averaged 65.7 PPG in conference play. This year we're only averaging 56 PPG in conference play. We have everyone back and much better depth. How can we be this much worse when we should be better?

Waters, McGriff, & Dziagwa are all averaging fewer PPG than last year. Laurent went from a 46% 3-point shooter at Umass to a 24% 3-point shooter here. Why aren't we making changes to the offense if what we're doing isn't working?

There is no logical explanation for our regression. Either the players have given up, or the coaches are failing. Either way, it's a tough spot to be in.
I think that's fair. It's also why I'm a little tempered in my enthusiasm for the future of the program.

Dec 9, 2013
The coaches don’t play. The coaches don’t miss free throws. The coaches don’t let the opposing team block them out and get the rebound that they should have got. The coaches don’t shoot 20% from the three point line. The coaches don’t let the other team blow past them for a layup.The coaches can’t play for them.
It’s on the players!
Perfect example of how a coach matters from your list. Monday night KU was playing w a short bench in a road game on a 2 day turn. We had them in foul trouble and they looked tired at the end of the 1st half when we switched to man and started driving the ball. Instead of pressuring them to start the half & challenging them or testing their endurance we come out in the 2nd half in a soft zone and let them go 5/5 w multiple open looks for 3. We call TO & thankfully get out of the zone. Problem is we left in by choice our most defensively challenged player & matched him up against their best athlete who promptly took the ball right at him and blew by him for an open layup.

I was at the game pissed because we stayed zone & thankful when we went man. Then pissed when I saw our personal. Then more pissed when after the blow by our coach runs down the bench and grabs a player to sub in like he’s somehow shocked we just gave up a layup.

Sep 23, 2018
Stillwater
Perfect example of how a coach matters from your list. Monday night KU was playing w a short bench in a road game on a 2 day turn. We had them in foul trouble and they looked tired at the end of the 1st half when we switched to man and started driving the ball. Instead of pressuring them to start the half & challenging them or testing their endurance we come out in the 2nd half in a soft zone and let them go 5/5 w multiple open looks for 3. We call TO & thankfully get out of the zone. Problem is we left in by choice our most defensively challenged player & matched him up against their best athlete who promptly took the ball right at him and blew by him for an open layup.

I was at the game pissed because we stayed zone & thankful when we went man. Then pissed when I saw our personal. Then more pissed when after the blow by our coach runs down the bench and grabs a player to sub in like he’s somehow shocked we just gave up a layup.
Thanks for the specifics, at least you back up your arguments.

1st half get down 17 by playing less athletic crew, more athletic crew makes a comeback. Go with the less athletic crew for most of the second half and get blown out. Cant have 21 and 4 on the court at the same time

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
From Frank Bonner II: OSU coach Mike Boynton doesn't want players feeling sorry for themselves after the 0-7 start in the Big 12 Conference

Oklahoma State entered this season with NCAA Tournament hopes. OSU was picked to finish sixth in the Big 12 Conference preseason poll.

Now, the Cowboys find themselves sitting at the bottom of the conference standings with an 0-7 record. It’s a head-scratching problem for a team that started the year 7-0 and looked to be on its way to exceeding expectations.

OSU is 3-10 following the seven-game winning streak. The Cowboys need to figure out which team they are going to be — the one that started the season strong or the team that has struggled lately. OSU coach Mike Boynton believes it’s somewhere in the middle.

“When we were 7-0, I’ll go back there and there was talk about top 25,” Boynton said after a 65-50 loss to No. 3 Kansas on Monday. “Were we a top 25 team? Probably not. … Are we as bad as we played some in the last three weeks? Probably not, either.

“It’s on us to find that happy medium, wherever that is. Whatever this team’s capacity to have success is, we have an obligation to find that.”

Nov 18, 2010
Imagine if our FOOTBALL team had never made a bowl game under Mike Gundy.
Now imagine Mike Gundy went 3-6 in the big 12 last year.
Now imagine Mike Gundy went 0-9 in the big 12 this year.

Would you guys still want to wait another year to find a new coach?

Feb 18, 2009
So - it’s not going to happen. Even at 0-18. But if it did, who is it going to be. It can't be another cash saver, blue light special. It has to be someone that can do at OSU what lowly (tongue pressed firmly in cheek) Scott Drew has been doing at Baylor. F*****G Baylor. They had a player murder another one, no pre or post season play, went 0-18 and he's been kicking our ass ever since.

It can't be another coach with no experience in the drivers seat, including Doug. If it's any of those, we'll be right back on here in 3-4 years having the same discussion.

Last edited:

Celldweller7

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Jul 17, 2004
A very specific place
So - while it’s not going to happen. Even at 0-18. But if it did, who is it going to be. It can't be another cash saver, blue light special. It has to be someone that can do at OSU what lowly (tongue pressed firmly in cheek) Scott Drew has been doing at Baylor. F*****G Baylor. They had a player murder another one, no pre or post season play, went 0-18 and he's been kicking our ass ever since.

It can't be another coach with no experience in the drivers seat, including Doug. If it's any of those, we'll be right back on here in 3-4 years having the same discussion.
Unless there is a hot mid-major coach available, I assume we'd do what most programs do and be reactionary, hiring a journeyman coach with a middling career but lots of experience.

Nov 18, 2010
Yep. Holder needs to retire in March so we can have someone else making the decision.
This would seem to be the first step. Finding a good coach is hard enough without your Athletic Director hiring other people to "search" for the replacement. (By search, I mean, our AD hired a guy to hire a guy he already knew who was already in Stillwater...still shaking my head about this.)
If our current AD can't be bothered to do his own coaching search, then it seems self-evident we need to hire someone else to be the ATHLETIC DIRECTOR at OSU.

Feb 18, 2009
It's mathematically impossible to do worse. We are 0-8 in the big 12. If my mom coached this team, they couldn't do worse than 0-8.
And? I think we’re on the same page but I’m talking next move.

For all the good Holder has done for OSU, and it’s been a lot, he’s totally pillaged the men’s basketball program. The next coach can’t come from his decision tree, it has to be bold and aggressive.

FTR - not self

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2010
Actually 2 of 3. Underwood has the 19th ranked team in the country & is atop the Big10.
And reportedly Holder and he did not get along. Which is why he left and is now building a top 20 program at Illinois. This reinforces the need for a new AD. Our guy seems to have a personality that makes it difficult for him to get along with coaches.

Last edited: