Thanks Coach Boynton for putting in such hard work!!

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Nov 18, 2010
And? I think we’re on the same page but I’m talking next move.

For all the good Holder has done for OSU, and it’s been a lot, he’s totally pillaged the men’s basketball program. The next coach can’t come from his decision tree, it has to be bold and aggressive.
100% agree. If someone important wants Holder at OSU, give him a different title and a new office..in another building. But we need a real AD to heal our once respected basketball program. Our current AD doesn't seem to care about it.

Well

Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Dec 17, 2009
For all the good Holder has done for OSU, and it’s been a lot, he’s totally pillaged the men’s basketball program. The next coach can’t come from his decision tree, it has to be bold and aggressive.
100% agree. If someone important wants Holder at OSU, give him a different title and a new office..in another building. But we need a real AD to heal our once respected basketball program. Our current AD doesn't seem to care about it.
If Holder doesn't want to go. How do we get rid of him. I'm all in.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
And reportedly Holder and he did not get along. Which is why he left and is now building a top 20 program at Illinois. This reinforces the need for a new AD. Our guy has a personality that makes it impossible for him to get along with coaches.
By not get along, you mean Holder wouldn't give him the raise he asked for? Underwood then went on the open market and got an even higher salary than he was asking for Holder to give. I think we know which university benefitted most from Holder's decision to not give the bigger raise (not ours).

poknround

Banned
Banned
Oct 25, 2009
Wabashaw, WI
Im still amazed at how many people blasted me for starting this topic, yet game after game there seems to be more people coming into the light. I know that there is not likely to be a mid(late) season change, but its still my opinion that we need to cut the cord at end of season. One recruit who will likely play for one season is not enough to convince me that he can right the ship. I just dont think he manages games well or that he knows how to put players in a position to be successful. #letspartways

Oct 30, 2007
Im still amazed at how many people blasted me for starting this topic, yet game after game there seems to be more people coming into the light. I know that there is not likely to be a mid(late) season change, but its still my opinion that we need to cut the cord at end of season. One recruit who will likely play for one season is not enough to convince me that he can right the ship. I just dont think he manages games well or that he knows how to put players in a position to be successful. #letspartways
Good that you have at lest come around to realizing not having a coach for 2+ months would be worse. If we make a move, it needs to be one let go while another is hired simultaneously. Also, it would have to be an absolutely huge hire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 30, 2007
And reportedly Holder and he did not get along. Which is why he left and is now building a top 20 program at Illinois. This reinforces the need for a new AD. Our guy has a personality that makes it impossible for him to get along with coaches.
By not get along, you mean Holder wouldn't give him the raise he asked for? Underwood then went on the open market and got an even higher salary than he was asking for Holder to give. I think we know which university benefitted most from Holder's decision to not give the bigger raise (not ours).
I do not buy into this. Underwood was not the right guy IMO.

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
I do not buy into this. Underwood was not the right guy IMO.

Last year when underwear was having a season about like the one we are having now everyone was laughing at Illinois and thanking him for leaving. Now, he is the good one that Holder let slip away. Fickle bunch with a short memory fans are. Hopefully next year when Cunningham has us good enough to be top 20 this year will be forgotten. And, if not, the school will have ample justification to get a new coach and not look like the unsupportive place that is churning coaches as we would appear if we fired Boynton now.

Nov 14, 2010
Okay.....
So.....
We don't want a journeyman with a middling career and we don't want a guy with no head coaching experience.

So.....who would that be would be my question?

Can we get a guy that has proven head coaching experience, that has proven to be a winner as a Head Coach, to come to OSU.

At least one that won't be coming with some kind of baggage like a Kelvin Sampson type.

It seens that we are either going to have to hire a young guy with no Head Coaching experience at this level, or a proven guy that has baggage.

I don't see a guy like Gregg Marshall coming to OSU.

It's going to be a young guy like Boynton, an ecperienced guy like Sanpson that has baggage, or a guy with experience that has been a journeyman with a middling career

For instance.....
A guy like Bruce Webber is not someone I would want.

Last edited:

JoeHero

I don't say blah blah blah
A/V Subscriber
May 8, 2006
Okay.....
So.....
We don't want a journeyman with a middling career and we don't want a guy with no head coaching experience.

Can we get a guy that has proven head coaching experience, that has proven to be a winner as a Head Coach, to come to OSU.

At least one that won't be coming with some kind of baggage like a Kelvin Sampson type.

It seens that we are either going to have to hire a young guy with no Head Coaching experience at this level, or a proven guy that has baggage.

It's going to be a young guy like Boynton, an ecperienced guy like Sanpson that has baggage, or a guy with experience that has been a journeyman with a middling career

For instance.....
Or a successful coach from a mid major

pokefan05

Knickas on Backward
A/V Subscriber
Dec 6, 2006
Tulsa
Okay.....
So.....

For instance.....
We should hire kelvin sampson. Would piss ou fans off and with the relaxed ncaa rules now, he can cal and text as much as he wants.

Nov 14, 2010
Like we did with Underwood and tech did with beard
I don't consider Stephen F. Austin or Little Rock Mid Majors

Beard coached at Texas Tech as an assistant for 10 years, so they had a tie to him

But, he had 1 season at Little Rock and has struck lightning in a bottle at Tech the last 2 years, and is now 13-8 this year

Underwood is 42-44 at Illinois

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2007
Okay.....
So.....

For instance.....
My first call would be to Fred Hoiberg at Nebraska. He's an excellent college coach, and we're a better program than Nebraska. He would be an excellent hire if we could pull him away from the Cornhuskers.

Gregg Marshall would be an absolute homerun hire, but I don't think we would pay him enough to get him to leave Wichita State. It's sad that Wichita State's AD is more willing to support their basketball program than our AD.

I've always kind of liked Steve Alford. We could probably pull him away from Nevada.

I know it sounds crazy, but Kelvin Samson has really grown on me at Houston. I used to hate him as a Sooner, but I love the way his teams play. I wouldn't be opposed to him as a candidate if I was convinced he would run a clean program.

These are just off the top of my head. I think we could hire a successful coach if we aren't shopping in the bargain bin. If a change is made, we need to spend the money to hire a proven commodity.

RAGMAN

Greenhorn
Jan 7, 2020
Edmond, OK
Why do we keep deluding ourselves into the belief that a better recruiting class will make this guy a coach? There is no evidence of that. I understand that the mind set of many is to not want to believe what the every game result shows. The sign of every good coach is the continual improvement of his players and team as the season progresses. Even the worst of Eddie’s teams got better as a year went on. Tulsa (a team we beat) takes down Wichita State today. Syracuse (a team we throttled) played Duke to the end today. We are getting worse as each game is played. All he can say is that we lack confidence. This guy does not have it. We can just hope that somehow he will get better. Cade Cunningham will be an 18 year old phenom with no coach to make him better.

JoeHero

I don't say blah blah blah
A/V Subscriber
May 8, 2006
I don't consider Stephen F. Austin or Little Rock Mid Majors

Beard had 1 season at Little Rock and has struck lightning in a bottle, and are now 13-8 this year

Underwood is 42-44 at Illinois
Beard played for a title and Underwood has his team ranked in the top 25 in year 3. What the hell are you talking about?