Thanks Coach Boynton for putting in such hard work!!

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma
Last year when underwear was having a season about like the one we are having now everyone was laughing at Illinois and thanking him for leaving. Now, he is the good one that Holder let slip away. Fickle bunch with a short memory fans are. Hopefully next year when Cunningham has us good enough to be top 20 this year will be forgotten. And, if not, the school will have ample justification to get a new coach and not look like the unsupportive place that is churning coaches as we would appear if we fired Boynton now.
Fickle bunch eh? We aren't just getting beat, we are getting beat badly. Most all of these conference games have periods where we are down 20+ points. Our upper classmen are far worse when the should be improving with experience and maturity. Yor Anei should be a beast by now. The dude is scoring like 2 points a game. Underwood won 7 conference games and game in the Big 10 tournment last season, BTW. If only Boynton could accomplish that.

Feb 18, 2009
Okay.....
So.....
We don't want a journeyman with a middling career and we don't want a guy with no head coaching experience.

So.....who would that be would be my question?

Can we get a guy that has proven head coaching experience, that has proven to be a winner as a Head Coach, to come to OSU.

At least one that won't be coming with some kind of baggage like a Kelvin Sampson type.

It seens that we are either going to have to hire a young guy with no Head Coaching experience at this level, or a proven guy that has baggage.

I don't see a guy like Gregg Marshall coming to OSU.

It's going to be a young guy like Boynton, an ecperienced guy like Sanpson that has baggage, or a guy with experience that has been a journeyman with a middling career

For instance.....
A guy like Bruce Webber is not someone I would want.
A guy like Bruce Webber is “an experienced coach with a middling career.” No one wants that. I’ve also posted the same question, who could it be?

We don’t know what Marshal would do.

We don’t know what any coach would do. You have to swing for the fences to hit a HR. We can’t slap swing or bunt again. Well, we can I just hope we don’t.

Im not even advocating Marshal but I hope whichever AD makes this decision, they don’t go into it with a “he won’t come here” mentality. At least Holder talked to Self. That’s the approach I want the next round.

And I’ve been a huge HCMB fan, I want it to work so bad, but I can’t see it anymore.

Nov 14, 2010
Beard played for a title and Underwood has his team ranked in the top 25 in year 3. What the hell are you talking about?
Yeah....
Beard has struck lightning in a bottle the last couple years at Tech.

That's 2 years.

That"s a short burst of success not a proven track record at this level

Hell ....George Mason have made the Final Four too

Edit...Florida Gulf Coast. They were sweet 16

Tech is now 13-8 this year and are in 7th place in the league.

Plus...Beard worked at Tech for 10 years as an assistant too, so they had an inside track on the guy and knew all about him.

Underwood is 42-44 at Illinois

He has no proven success at all other than a ru. at Stephen F. Austin, which I don't consider a Mid Major

Last edited:

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma
Yeah....
Beard has struck lightning in a bottle the last couple years at Tech.

That's 2 years.

That"s a short burst of success not a proven track record at this level

Hell ....Florida Gulf Coast and George Mason have made the Final Four too

And now they are 13-8 this year

Plus...Beard worked at Tech for 10 years as an assistant too, so they had an inside track on the guy and knew all about him.

He has no proven success at all other than a ru. at Stephen F. Austin, which I don't consider a Mid Major
Haha. Is this dude freaking serious? Beard had his team in a position to win the championship with under 2 minutes left in the game last year and that is not a proven track record? You gotta be kidding me.

Nov 14, 2010
Haha. Is this dude freaking serious? Beard had his team in a position to win the championship with under 2 minutes left in the game last year and that is not a proven track record? You gotta be kidding me.
No....
It's 1 year

They've now had 2 very good years in a row which is a short burst.

What Drew has done at Baylor is a proven track record

Besides....Underwood bolted at OSU after his 1st year.

And....as I said....Beard spent 10 years at Tech as an assitant so he had a link and a has a reason to want to stay.

Is there a guy out there with that kind of link to OSU that we think is that caliber of a coach?

That's why I mentioned Kyle Keller

Last edited:

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
Fickle bunch eh? We aren't just getting beat, we are getting beat badly. Most all of these conference games have periods where we are down 20+ points. Our upper classmen are far worse when the should be improving with experience and maturity. Yor Anei should be a beast by now. The dude is scoring like 2 points a game. Underwood won 7 conference games and game in the Big 10 tournment last season, BTW. If only Boynton could accomplish that.
UW won 12 games the entire year. We have won 10 so far. The B12 is far stronger top to bottom. I said about the same not perfectly identical. Both are horrible which is all that matters to my point.

Nov 14, 2010
WTH? Chris Beard made the 2nd round of the NCAA tourney at Arkansas Little Rock, the Elite Eight in his 2nd year at Tech, and the Title game in his 3rd year at Tech. Not a proven track record? You're embarrassing yourself.
He spent 1 year at Little Rock

You can't get shorter than that

He has had 2 good years at Tech and is currently 13-8 and in 7th place in the league.

That's a short bursts of success during a short stint at Tech and a 1 year stint at Little Rock.

And....as I said, he had a link to Tech which gives him reason to stick, unlike Underwood at OSU.

Now....currently is 13-8 and 7th in the league

I'll be interested to see how he sustains his success at Tech.

Last edited:

RutherfordFan

Federal Marshal
Feb 5, 2008
Oklahoma City

He has had 2 good years at Tech and is currently 13-8 and in 7th place in the league.

That's a short bursts of success and very short stints at both places

And....as I said, he had a link to Tech which gives him reason to stick, unlike Underwood at OSU.

Chris Beard is 50 times the coach Boynton is.

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma

That's a short bursts of success and very short stints at both places

Chris Beard had 106 wins in his first 4 full years of Division 1 basketball. Scott Drew had 41 wins. Scott Drew didn't even make the tourney until his 6th year of coaching Div-1. How about you give Beard a couple more years before you call him a flash in the pan? I can't believe you are trying to stick to this argument.

Nov 14, 2010
Chris Beard had 106 wins in his first 4 full years of Division 1 basketball. Scott Drew had 41 wins. Scott Drew didn't even make the tourney until his 6th year of coaching Div-1. How about you give Beard a couple more years before you call him a flash in the pan? I can't believe you are trying to stick to this argument.
Any comparison to what Drew had to inherit at Baylor is invalid

I'm not calling Beard anything

He's done fantastic in his short time at Tech

I'm simply saying it's just that. A short peruod of time.

His track record is over a short period of time and not proven over several years like a guy like Scott Drew's is.

Beard could very well end up being a flash in the pan, or a Hall of Fame coach.. Who knows, because at this point it's too early to tell

And....I'm also pointing out rhe fact that the guy we hired had no ties to OSU and bolted and that Beard coached at Tech for 10 years as an assistant which gives him the link to stay there.

Aug 16, 2012
Okay.....
So.....
We don't want a journeyman with a middling career and we don't want a guy with no head coaching experience.

So.....who would that be would be my question?

Can we get a guy that has proven head coaching experience, that has proven to be a winner as a Head Coach, to come to OSU.

At least one that won't be coming with some kind of baggage like a Kelvin Sampson type.

It seens that we are either going to have to hire a young guy with no Head Coaching experience at this level, or a proven guy that has baggage.

I don't see a guy like Gregg Marshall coming to OSU.

It's going to be a young guy like Boynton, an ecperienced guy like Sanpson that has baggage, or a guy with experience that has been a journeyman with a middling career

For instance.....
A guy like Bruce Webber is not someone I would want.
To answer that question, note that in the face of adversity, the Astros just hired the most banal, uninspiring retread available. We have three realistic choices.
1. Unproven
2. Stepping stone
3. Retread.

Sutton II is NOT coming to Stillwater so you have to pick your poison from 1-3 above.

But what is also not happening...Boynton getting fired in the next 14 months so the discussion has as much merit at this time as asking who are we getting to replace any other coach.

And why do people keep forgetting the upcoming recruiting class is more than just Cunningham???

JoeHero

I don't say blah blah blah
A/V Subscriber
May 8, 2006
He's trolling

Aug 16, 2012
I don't consider Stephen F. Austin or Little Rock Mid Majors

Beard coached at Texas Tech as an assistant for 10 years, so they had a tie to him

But, he had 1 season at Little Rock and has struck lightning in a bottle at Tech the last 2 years, and is now 13-8 this year

And built the program through solid recruiting

Nov 14, 2010
To answer that question, note that in the face of adversity, the Astros just hired the most banal, uninspiring retread available. We have three realistic choices.
1. Unproven
2. Stepping stone
3. Retread.

Sutton II is NOT coming to Stillwater so you have to pick your poison from 1-3 above.

But what is also not happening...Boynton getting fired in the next 14 months so the discussion has as much merit at this time as asking who are we getting to replace any other coach.

And why do people keep forgetting the upcoming recruiting class is more than just Cunningham???
Agreed

We did the stepping stone witb Underwood

We did the unproven with Boynton

I really hope, if or when it comes to it, we don't go the retread route.

Oct 30, 2007
We have three realistic choices.
1. Unproven
2. Stepping stone
3. Retread.

Oklahoma was in a very similar position not too long ago after Capel was fired. Their athletic director responded by hiring a proven commodity in Lon Kruger. He's stayed at Oklahoma for almost a decade, and he's taken them all the way to the Final 4. Our tradition is even better than OU's. Why wouldn't we be able to do the exact same thing?

I think we could hire & retain a proven commodity if we were willing to pay fair market value for a good coach. We wouldn't be able to keep them if Duke or UNC came calling, but we're far from a stepping stone program under normal circumstances.

Aug 16, 2012
Fwiw, he has pulled in the #33 recruiting class two years ago, the #16 class last year and had a team where four players are now playing professionally, and has signed the #9 class for this fall. BU's classes include #13 incoming, a drop last year but the class was essentially one 4-star, and #25 his first year.
Boynton has moved up our rankings, but his premier player to date has a little legal issue nobody could have anticipated.
Getting the players in is paramount.