Thanks Coach Boynton for putting in such hard work!!

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Nov 14, 2010
If a change is made in the next couple years, the salary we pay will be really important. The average salary paid by the other 9 teams is the league is $2.74 million per year, and top 5 coaches are all above $3 million. We won't be able to hire a good coach unless we're willing to pay fair market value. We can't expect to hire a proven commodity if we're paying the lowest salary in the league.
Correct and agreed.....
Which means it will have to be a guy that is proven enough to justify that kind of a salary

Otherwise....we might as well go unproven again and hope for the best.

What would be worst case scenario is to pay that kind of salary to a guy that gets results like McDermott did at Iowa State or Grant at Alabama etc....

I.E. The Travis Ford debacle where it's not financially viable to move on when and if we need to.

That situation set us back because we had to eat it for too long

At least this route with Boynton, if and when the decision is made that wr need to move on, we won't have to wait

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2007
What would be wrong with Kyle Keller?

Stephen F. Austin is 19-3 and 10-1 in Conference this year.

They struggled last year but he had them in the NCAA tournament 2 years ago and has ties to OSU basketball when it was in its glory.
Brad Underwood's first 3 years at SFA:
1580669969246.png

Kyler Keller's first 3 years at SFA:
1580670021220.png

I've always liked Kyle Keller. He's probably ready to move up to a mid-major job. But if we're going to hire a low-major coach, I would want someone that's been dominant like Brad Underwood was at SFA.

Nov 14, 2010
Brad Underwood's first 3 years at SFA:
View attachment 77207

Kyler Keller's first 3 years at SFA:
View attachment 77208

I've always liked Kyle Keller. He's probably ready to move up to a mid-major job. But if we're going to hire a low-major coach, I would want someone that's been dominant like Brad Underwood was at SFA.
That's an unfair comparison because the top 3 leading scorers for SFA in Underwood's last year were Seniors

They didn't return a double digit scorer.
There's a reason he moved on when he did.

Underwood won with his best player being someone elses player, then bolted when his top 3 scorers were graduating

I think the fact that Keller had been able to maintain a good amount of success there after those losses and has recovered to the point of having as good of a year as they are having this year is impressive.

In my opinion, maintaining success is harder than building it in the first place

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2012
As of right now, the recruiting class besides Cunningham isn't that special. People are super high on Rondell Walker, and I am too, but keep in mind he's rated about the same as Avery Anderson and Ice were coming out of high school. Pena is rated even lower, but some of that has to do with him reclassifying. I'm assuming Boynton loads up with a couple more studs. But as of right now, besides Cunningham it's not like things are elite.
So we are to a point that four-star players are "not that special".

Got it.

Oct 30, 2007
That's an unfair comparison because the top 3 leading scorers for SFA in Underwood's last year were Seniors

They didn't return a double digit scorer.
There's a reason he moved on when he did.

Underwood won with his best player being someone elses player, then bolted when his top 3 scorers were graduating

I think the fact that Keller had been able to maintain a good amount of success there after those losses and has recovered to the point of having as good of a year as they are having this year is impressive.
If you look at Underwood's final year at SFA, 2 of his 3 leading scorers were juco transfers he brought in. So his success wasn't just based off inheriting talent. He was absolutely dominant at SFA. He tied Brad Stevens for the most wins ever in the first 3 years of a coaching career.

Kyle Keller has done a good job at SFA. He rebuilt them in his first year, and had a decent year in his second. Last year was a disappointment. They went 14-16 primarily with his own recruits. They've bounced back this year to have a good year so far. IMO, he's a good candidate to move up to a mid-major program.

I just can't get excited about hiring a coach that coaches against teams like Incarnate Word & Houston Baptist unless he's absolutely dominant. I wouldn't be opposed to hiring Keller if he started dominating their conference over the next few years.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2010
If you look at Underwood's final year at SFA, 2 of his 3 leading scorers were juco transfers he brought in. So his success wasn't just based off inheriting talent. He was absolutely dominant at SFA. He tied Brad Stevens for the most wins ever in the first 3 years of a coaching career.

Kyle Keller has done a good job at SFA. He rebuilt them in his first year, and had a decent year in his second. Last year was a disappointment. They went 14-16 primarily with his own recruits. They've bounced back this year to have a good year so far. IMO, he's a good candidate to move up to a mid-major program.

I just can't get excited about hiring a coach that coaches against teams like Incarnate Word & Houston Baptist unless he's absolutely dominant. I wouldn't be opposed to hiring Keller if he started dominating their conference over the next few years.
Very fair

I'm huge on the connection factor

I just think it's huge at a place like OSU....

Holliday
Smith
Bratton
Gundy
Gary Ward
Eddie Sutton
Mike Holder
all bigtime ties to OSU

Last edited:

RutherfordFan

Federal Marshal
Feb 5, 2008
Oklahoma City
If a change is made in the next couple years, the salary we pay will be really important. The average salary paid by the other 9 teams is the league is $2.74 million per year, and top 5 coaches are all above $3 million. We won't be able to hire a good coach unless we're willing to pay fair market value. We can't expect to hire a proven commodity if we're paying the lowest salary in the league.
We wont. We were trying to get out of Ford deal. We are now. All is well. Lowest we will offer is 2.5 million.

RutherfordFan

Federal Marshal
Feb 5, 2008
Oklahoma City
OSU needs to hire Doug Gottlieb. Period. We should have hired him last time. He's coached in Jewish olympics. He can bring in name ex players to recruit really good talent and I think would turn osu basketball. We made the wrong hire last time. If not that hire a proven mid major guy who's made NCAA tournament several times not just once. We should have hired Chris Beard when we had the chance or just paid Underwood 3 million and kept him.

Nov 14, 2010
OSU needs to hire Doug Gottlieb. Period. We should have hired him last time. He's coached in Jewish olympics. He can bring in name ex players to recruit really good talent and I think would turn osu basketball. We made the wrong hire last time. If not that hire a proven mid major guy who's made NCAA tournament several times not just once. We should have hired Chris Beard when we had the chance or just paid Underwood 3 million and kept him.
I agree

Either get a Gregg Marshall type proven winner hire, or go the unproven route.

And, in that case, do like Iowa State did with Fred Hoiberg, and hire Gottlieb and make a connection back to our best years

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2012
This is just stupid on every level. You should be banned for such an ignorant post... period (the gottlieb part)

PokeJ

Sheriff
Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
We are already crappy free throw shooters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 16, 2012
I agree

Either get a Gregg Marshall type proven winner hire, or go the unproven route.

And, in that case, do like Iowa State did with Fred Hoiberg, and hire Gottlieb and make a connection back to our best years
Gottlieb is not a coach. He is a talking head on sports shows, nothing else. Holder has implied this perception as well. Why the hell do people keep bringing up his name????

POPOKE

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Feb 7, 2007
South Carolina
As of right now, the recruiting class besides Cunningham isn't that special. People are super high on Rondell Walker, and I am too, but keep in mind he's rated about the same as Avery Anderson and Ice were coming out of high school. Pena is rated even lower, but some of that has to do with him reclassifying. I'm assuming Boynton loads up with a couple more studs. But as of right now, besides Cunningham it's not like things are elite.
So we are to a point that four-star players are "not that special".

Got it.
I said I was excited for Walker too, so no reason to throw the shade. I'm just saying fringe 100 type guys aren't usually program changers their freshman years. It feels like most around here expect him to be a starter and major contributor from day 1. I think he'll be a solid role player, much like Anderson, but I don't expect much more from him next year.

Nov 14, 2010
Gottlieb is not a coach. He is a talking head on sports shows, nothing else. Holder has implied this perception as well. Why the hell do people keep bringing up his name????
Because he was given an interview for the position and there was a movement by OSU fans to get him hired

And....many of those same people believe we would be better off if we would have hired him.

And....it's not unprecedented

Fred Hoiberg was great at Iowa State

Steve Kerr went from several years in the booth to a Head NBA job.

Did John Smith have coaching experience when we hired him?

I know he wrestled in the 1992 Olympics and we hired him in 1992, but I can't remember if there was any coachimg during his Olympic days or between that and getting the job here so I'm honestly asking that question.

Larry Dierker went fron the booth to managing Houston and Houston finished in first place in four of the five years Dierker managed the team

Robin Ventura worked as a color commentatorin 2010, then got hired as the manager for the Chicago White Sox the next year in 2011.

Guys either possess the skills to be successful or they don't.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
Because he was given an interview for the position and there was a movement by OSU fans to get him hired

And....many of those same people believe we would be better off if we would have hired him.

And....it's not unprecedented

Fred Hoiberg was great at Iowa State

Steve Kerr went from several years in the booth to a Head NBA job.

Did John Smith have coaching experience when we hired him?

I know he wrestled in the 1992 Olympics and we hired him in 1992, but I can't remember if there was any coachimg during his Olympic days or between that and getting the job here so I'm honestly asking that question.

Larry Dierker went fron the booth to managing Houston and Houston finished in first place in four of the five years Dierker managed the team

Robin Ventura worked as a color commentatorin 2010, then got hired as the manager for the Chicago White Sox the next year in 2011.

Guys either possess the skills to be successful or they don't.
Gottlieb can't hit free throws, is an atrocious know it all, and hasn't paid one day of dues at any level other than the Jewish league of Israel (I guess that's an AAU team for Israeli youth). Why don't we fire Holiday and bring in Traitor Jim to coach up the baseball team. Same difference

Oct 30, 2007
Very fair

I'm huge on the connection factor

I just think it's huge at a place like OSU....

Holliday
Smith
Bratton
Gundy
Gary Ward
Eddie Sutton
Mike Holder
all bigtime ties to OSU
I definitely understand that. I love having alums as coaches. I wish that Doug Gottlieb & Desmond Mason would get into coaching. They would be excellent options to hire in the future if they proved they were capable to doing the job.