Thanks Coach Boynton for putting in such hard work!!

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Nov 25, 2009
Kedah Malaysia
Football is 80% schemed, designed and called by the coaches. It is a sport where each play is a dead ball situation and being called by the GENERAL in charged. ...and the General is the Head Coach etc. The coaches are responsible to put the players in the positions to make plays.

Basketball is 80% guerrilla battles. The head coach may call a time-out, call certain plays but players automatically audible it most of the times. Players dictate and decide the game but coaches prepare, motivates and if lucky determine the schemes and pace to play but finally players hunch where to be to make plays.

Whatever, All Head Coaches are responsible for the team performance. All about accountability. Good teams usually will have leaders on and off the field/court. Players and coaches ongoing communicating and listening to one another. Good head coaches creates an environment where leaders can emerge.

OrangeAggie

Assistant to the Moderater
A/V Subscriber
Feb 6, 2004
Edmond
Football is 80% schemed, designed and called by the coaches. It is a sport where each play is a dead ball situation and being called by the GENERAL in charged. ...and the General is the Head Coach etc. The coaches are responsible to put the players in the positions to make plays.

Basketball is 80% guerrilla battles. The head coach may call a time-out, call certain plays but players automatically audible it most of the times. Players dictate and decide the game but coaches prepare, motivates and if lucky determine the schemes and pace to play but finally players hunch where to be to make plays.

Whatever, All Head Coaches are responsible for the team performance. All about accountability. Good teams usually will have leaders on and off the field/court. Players and coaches ongoing communicating and listening to one another. Good head coaches creates an environment where leaders can emerge.
Then why is there such a high correlation between good coaches and long term success? I can easily name dozens of coaches who have been consistent winners for decades at multiple schools.

That tells me it's more about the guy holding the clipboard than the individuals on the court.

Jan 9, 2005
Oklahoma
Holder became AD because Boone Pickens demanded that if OSU wanted the millions.
Boone's support comprised the bulk, if not entirety, of Holder's qualifications.
Boone is dead.
Why is Holder still the AD?

Aug 16, 2012
Holder became AD because Boone Pickens demanded that if OSU wanted the millions.
Boone's support comprised the bulk, if not entirety, of Holder's qualifications.
Boone is dead.
Why is Holder still the AD?
There are dozens of venues on campus that would not have materialized otherwise. Think some wealthy people just walked up to the bursar's office and dropped off a check of their own volition? Look at the names on the newer facilities that have nothing to do with Boone's endowment. That is due to the persuasion of Holder.

Think he had nothing to do with the money we get from Nike and the litany of cutting edge uniforms the players put on every game?

There are a good dozen or so coaches he has brought in and/or retained that are doing quite well.

Done a lot more good for the school than some want to give him credit for. Perfect? Nah, but you have to look at the body of work, not just specific examples.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
There are dozens of venues on campus that would not have materialized otherwise. Think some wealthy people just walked up to the bursar's office and dropped off a check of their own volition? Look at the names on the newer facilities that have nothing to do with Boone's endowment. That is due to the persuasion of Holder.

Think he had nothing to do with the money we get from Nike and the litany of cutting edge uniforms the players put on every game?

There are a good dozen or so coaches he has brought in and/or retained that are doing quite well.

Done a lot more good for the school than some want to give him credit for. Perfect? Nah, but you have to look at the body of work, not just specific examples.
Great fundraiser. Makes solid hiring decisions for minor sports. Basketball hiring decisions are still suspect.

JoeHero

I don't say blah blah blah
A/V Subscriber
May 8, 2006

Yep. Also Boone wanted someone that would manage the funds responsibly. Can't blame someone for making that a condition of a 100+ million donation.

I appreciate everything Holder has done for the athletic department. I just don't want him making the decision for the next basketball coach.

RutherfordFan

Federal Marshal
Feb 5, 2008
Oklahoma City

Exactly this. I don't like what has happened in basketball but I recognize Holder has done a zillion great things for osu. Though some yahoos dont recognize it. Now let's fix basketball. He made a good hire with Underwood and Ford had moments. Looks like Boynton gamble will fail.

Football facilities, soccer, baseball new stadium, track. Holder has been massive for all those sports. Now I do think it might be time in a year to say thank you and applaud him. My one criticism might be a smidge too budget conscious which is great but football and basketball I would go over budget if I had too at times and you might make up for it with some extra crowd etc. We all recognize football pays for everything except historically mens basketball and and baseball. Football subsidizes everything else.

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
On Tour with the Gap Band
strikeupthegapband.com
Yep. Also Boone wanted someone that would manage the funds responsibly. Can't blame someone for making that a condition of a 100+ million donation.

I appreciate everything Holder has done for the athletic department. I just don't want him making the decision for the next basketball coach.

Considering how he got played by Fogler, I don't even want Holder making the decision of who will make the decision for the next basketball coach, lol.

Sep 8, 2014
The back 40
First of all.....
This is his 3rd year
Recruiting is the life blood of any program

If the Seniors have that little of talent, and if he hasn't recruited better players than them by now, then that's on him.

Second, and in regards to Cam not being coached to shoot from out if position etc....

Coaches either teach it, or they are allowing it.

Either require them to do as they are instructed to do, or sit their ass on the bench.

In any event, whichever issue it may be...it's a coaching issue
This again..

I don’t expect untalented kids to magically become all stars but I do expect them to move away from the ball and work to at least try and get open. I expect them not to jack dumb shots. I expect them to hold on to the ball and not make dumb decisions. I expect them to hustle and blockout to at least try and get rebounds or at the very least get in position so the more talented player on the other team has to go Over their backs to get a board.

I expect them to at least play defense as good as a well coached high school team..move your feet so you aren’t beat to the goal or on the baseline, help each other out especially on the weak side, try to keep at least a hand in your opponents face, keep your feet on the ground and don’t go for fakes...

Is that to much to ask?

I’m still ok with one more year for Boynton...but man, this backwards slide sure looks like coaching slip ups to me.

Feb 3, 2020
OKC
This again..

I don’t expect untalented kids to magically become all stars but I do expect them to move away from the ball and work to at least try and get open. I expect them not to jack dumb shots. I expect them to hold on to the ball and not make dumb decisions. I expect them to hustle and blockout to at least try and get rebounds or at the very least get in position so the more talented player on the other team has to go Over their backs to get a board.

I expect them to at least play defense as good as a well coached high school team..move your feet so you aren’t beat to the goal or on the baseline, help each other out especially on the weak side, try to keep at least a hand in your opponents face, keep your feet on the ground and don’t go for fakes...

Is that to much to ask?

I’m still ok with one more year for Boynton...but man, this backwards slide sure looks like coaching slip ups to me.
Great points.... I really like MB and think he is a great person and genuine but it feels like his grace period is running out.

I didn't care for Underwood at all. However, there is no doubt he held the players attention... something Ford didn't seem to do and Coach MB might be in that category. I dearly want Coach to succeed but he needs to find a bad cop to offset him as a good cop real soon.

Apr 14, 2009
Great points.... I really like MB and think he is a great person and genuine but it feels like his grace period is running out.

I didn't care for Underwood at all. However, there is no doubt he held the players attention... something Ford didn't seem to do and Coach MB might be in that category. I dearly want Coach to succeed but he needs to find a bad cop to offset him as a good cop real soon.
Mike isn’t going anywhere for awhile.

Feb 18, 2009
Anderson, Boone, Boone, Ice, Yor
Holder has done a ton of good for our university, but he has also had quite a few big blunders too. A lot of good, and a lot of bad.
I know of two for sure:

Not cashing out when the value of Boone's donation hit $430mm (or something like that I don't remember. Past $100 million I stop paying attention :D)

Travis Ford immediate contract extension. (I don't think the Underwood departure was a blunder. Holder was right when he told him he hadn't done anything more than Ford had done and he would be crucified if he granted another contract like that again so soon. That's not wrong and he stuck to his guns and learned a lesson.)

What are the other things that are "a lot of bad." I am sure they are out there, I just don't know what they are.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked

I know of two for sure:

Not cashing out when the value of Boone's donation hit $430mm (or something like that I don't remember. Past $100 million I stop paying attention :D)

Travis Ford immediate contract extension. (I don't think the Underwood departure was a blunder. Holder was right when he told him he hadn't done anything more than Ford had done and he would be crucified if he granted another contract like that again so soon. That's not wrong and he stuck to his guns and learned a lesson.)

What are the other things that are "a lot of bad." I am sure they are out there, I just don't know what they are.
If Underwood turns out to be a really good coach, then Holder absolutely screwed up that contract as well. The fact that he screwed up with Ford has no bearing on if Underwood was worth $xxxx/yr based on market value and his abilities. It just appears to me that Holder has no clue how to find a good basketball coach.

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
On Tour with the Gap Band
strikeupthegapband.com

I know of two for sure:

The life insurance debacle was pretty bad too........ And the head butting with Gundy. I don't consider that 100% on Holder, but I do think all of that could have been handled better.

Feb 18, 2009
If Underwood turns out to be a really good coach, then Holder absolutely screwed up that contract as well. The fact that he screwed up with Ford has no bearing on if Underwood was worth $xxxx/yr based on market value and his abilities. It just appears to me that Holder has no clue how to find a good basketball coach.
Certainly Possible.

And Underwood is a good coach, anyone who says otherwise is sour grapes. He's proven himself enough to know he's got a good handle of the game. He's exactly the coach that our fans would have liked. Hard nosed, blue collar, mid american. I know one of his former players personally. When their family started whining about how mean he was I thought "well, knowing you guys I think he's the perfect guy then."

From all those angles it's a botch but I get Holder not caving after season that saw him struggle out of the gate in conference, earn a bid and first round exit. It was exactly the same as Ford. Is that "a lot of bad" as was asserted? Maybe. What if he had given him the extension and Underwood struggled to get players or juco transfers. It would have been just as bad as what we have now.

Aug 7, 2006
To be fair, other than Boynton, the other two guys he hired were fairly sought after at the time of them being hired here. The contract with Ford and the miscommunication between he and Underwood aren't great though.