Thanks Coach Boynton for putting in such hard work!!

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Holder priced several 1000 people out of Season tickets which is a large part of our pitiful attendance

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the demand was still high for Ford's first 3 years. So maintaining price integrity, at that time, made sense. I agree after that, however, that prices should've been slashed further. Kinda hard to do, though, when you've still got people willing to pay the asking price, & then sell the seats around them on the cheap. Doesn't make sense.

He gave Ford a contract that held OSU hostage then either didn't vet Underwood well enough or didn't foster a relationship with him well enough to make him happy at OSU.

Agreed that the length of the Ford deal was a mistake. How can it not be possible that Underwood completely played the situation? How is it automatically somehow Holder's fault in that situation?

So....it either was a bad hire or poorly handled

Or, he was a hot coach, we needed one, it worked, then he bolted for more $$ at a non--football school in a better conference.

As a result..that situation threw egg straight in OSU's face and it sits at Holder's feet.

He doubled down on that by hiring a search firm to hire
Mike Boynton.

Like I said.....
Holder has done a lot of good for OSU, but his part in the denise of basketball is substantial.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
He didn't really bolt for more money. As has been stated - it was somewhere around $250k per year. After reading all the various accounts of how everything went down, I personally believe that Holder tried to play it safe due to his blunder with the Ford contract, and it came across to Underwood that Holder wasn't committed to basketball at OSU and/or that he wasn't valued as a legit coach. You don't pull a stunt like he did for an extra $250k/yr unless you are really connected to the destination or you're really pissed at your current employer. Based on what I read, the latter seems plausible.

If you're Underwood (or any employee), you are going to value yourself based on your abilities. An employer's screwup with a previous employee should have zero impact on what you're worth in the overall market. If the employer doesn't value you as an employee, then you'll go somewhere that they do. That's called a free market, and it's always fair for someone to go where they will be valued appropriately.

Holder basically compounded his original mistake by getting gun shy with the next move. It's like a QB that throws an INT, then let's that rattle them for the rest of the game. The best ones know how to maintain their composure and not let a past mistake dictate their play going forward. Holder has now made three bad decisions in a row with our basketball coach.

Now........mistakes happen. I get it. And circumstances have created a LOT of really difficult scenarios. But he's the AD of a D1 program, and gets paid a lot to make those tough decisions, and so far he's botched it BADLY.

Oct 12, 2019
Dustin,ok
Birry does anyone at OSU athletics do a good job or should all be fired ? Have you ever been pleased by anyone’s performance.? I get it that we have very best facilities and we are in the most fertile recruiting area for all sports, and our resources are unmatched.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Birry does anyone at OSU athletics do a good job or should all be fired ? Have you ever been pleased by anyone’s performance.? I get it that we have very best facilities and we are in the most fertile recruiting area for all sports, and our resources are unmatched.
Yes, if Underwood had stayed & had any struggles, we would've jumped the gun & given him a ridiculous contract.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Patron, does anyone at OSU athletics deserve criticism, or should they all be retained forever, and celebrated regardless of their actual performance?

Cro

we need some celery and a can of fake snow
A/V Subscriber
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond
Patron, does anyone at OSU athletics deserve criticism, or should they all be retained forever, and celebrated regardless of their actual performance?
only bitches, gripes and complaints - never any suggestions or solutions................ dodge and deflect.... right on cue, birry...:rolleyes:

Last edited:

pokefan05

Knickas on Backward
A/V Subscriber
Dec 6, 2006
Tulsa
I stand by my statement that many people I know in the department were not unhappy when he left. Very toxic guy.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Interesting considering Dave Hunziker would absolutely swoon over the guy every chance he got. Gundy is toxic, but he is still here? All head coaches of high level D1 football and basketball programs are going to be ego maniacs. Its almost a pre-requisite for success in the job. It's the AD's job to manage the relationship and keep them happy.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Interesting considering Dave Hunziker would absolutely swoon over the guy every chance he got. Gundy is toxic, but he is still here? All head coaches of high level D1 football and basketball programs are going to be ego maniacs. Its almost a pre-requisite for success in the job. It's the AD's job to manage the relationship and keep them happy.
In all fairness, Dave's take is worth about the same as Robert Allen's.

Cro

we need some celery and a can of fake snow
A/V Subscriber
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond
Do you disagree with my opinion about how Holder has handled the HC position for OSU basketball?
nope. i'm not a holder fan at all, I think i've made that perfectly clear. i was obviously referring to the fact that you have plenty of complaints but never any solutions. you've been posed many a question on here about replacements, etc, and everytime you ignore or deflect. i suppose it's the millennial way, so I shouldn't be surprised.

JoeHero

I don't say blah blah blah
A/V Subscriber
May 8, 2006
He didn't really bolt for more money. As has been stated - it was somewhere around $250k per year.
It's not 250k per year if ours is 2.5 per and Illinois is 3 per. That's 500k per year and over the life of the contract is about 3 mil+ more. We're not talking a trivial amount here.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
nope. i'm not a holder fan at all, I think i've made that perfectly clear. i was obviously referring to the fact that you have plenty of complaints but never any solutions. you've been posed many a question on here about replacements, etc, and everytime you ignore or deflect. i suppose it's the millennial way, so I shouldn't be surprised.
Ah.......the old millennial bash. Good one. Can I assume that you're boomer that's still struggling with this whole internet thing, then? If so, it makes a lot more sense given the frustrated tone of your posts. Keep at it. You'll figure it out.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
It's not 250k per year if ours is 2.5 per and Illinois is 3 per. That's 500k per year and over the life of the contract is about 3 mil+ more. We're not talking a trivial amount here.
I can *maybe* see leaving for more money, but what I don't understand is the sudden nature of it. The whole thing was weird, and indicated a problem behind the scenes (still unsure who is to blame for what, though).