Thanks Coach Boynton for putting in such hard work!!

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
I can *maybe* see leaving for more money, but what I don't understand is the sudden nature of it. The whole thing was weird, and indicated a problem behind the scenes (still unsure who is to blame for what, though).
After all of your posts on this, you come back around to this gem?

What a f'n joke man

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
After all of your posts on this, you come back around to this gem?

What a f'n joke man
How is that an "f'n joke"? I legit don't know who is to blame for what. Not sure very many people actually know anything except Holder and Underwood. My opinion, based on what I've read, Holder's past and present decisions, and the little I gathered about Underwood, is that Holder was gun shy after the Ford contract and came across as either a lowballer or gave the impression that OSU wasn't committed to hoops and that Underwood took offense and bolted on principle. Could be the Underwood was being a petty b*tch. Could be that Holder was an a-hole. Could be both. Again.....none of us really knows with 100% certainty what happened.

Last edited:

Cro

we need some celery and a can of fake snow
A/V Subscriber
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond
Ah.......the old millennial bash. Good one. Can I assume that you're boomer that's still struggling with this whole internet thing, then? If so, it makes a lot more sense given the frustrated tone of your posts. Keep at it. You'll figure it out.
LOL.... no, not a boomer. i was at OSU when the "whole internet thing" came around. kind of ironic you accuse someone else of being frustrated. maybe you should go reread some of your own posts.......

Sep 23, 2018
Stillwater
I guess we could just replace EVERY coach in the athletic department every three years until everyone on the internet is satisfied/we can no longer find anyone to coach/we win a Natty. Sounds like a good plan!

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
LOL.... no, not a boomer. i was at OSU when the "whole internet thing" came around. kind of ironic you accuse someone else of being frustrated. maybe you should go reread some of your own posts.......
Absolutely I'm frustrated with the situation. Who isn't? Are you not frustrated with the current status of OSU hoops?

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
How many games for HCMB need to win to get this thread deleted?

P.S 9 games left. BU, KSUx2, ISU, OU, KU, TT, UT, WVU
Personally, I want to see evidence that our coach has the skills necessary to compete in this league. If we're still regressing, repeating mistakes, and showing no signs of improvement, then I'd support moving on after this season.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
How is that an "f'n joke"? I legit don't know who is to blame for what. Not sure very many people actually know anything except Holder and Underwood. My opinion, based on what I've read, Holder's past and present decisions, and the little I gathered about Underwood, is that Holder was gun shy after the Ford contract and came across as either a lowballer or gave the impression that OSU wasn't committed to hoops and that Underwood took offense and bolted on principle. Could be the Underwood was being a petty b*tch. Could be that Holder was an a-hole. Could be both. Again.....none of us really knows with 100% certainty what happened.

You don't understand?

"Holder basically compounded his original mistake by getting gun shy with the next move. It's like a QB that throws an INT, then let's that rattle them for the rest of the game. The best ones know how to maintain their composure and not let a past mistake dictate their play going forward. Holder has now made three bad decisions in a row with our basketball coach.

Now........mistakes happen. I get it. And circumstances have created a LOT of really difficult scenarios. But he's the AD of a D1 program, and gets paid a lot to make those tough decisions, and so far he's botched it BADLY."

Perhaps you should read your own posts. I'm not the guy screaming in caps, unequivocally, about how much I know about how Holder "botched it BADLY", only to come around & say 'eh, who knows?"

Nov 16, 2013
tractor
I guess we could just replace EVERY coach in the athletic department every three years until everyone on the internet is satisfied/we can no longer find anyone to coach/we win a Natty. Sounds like a good plan!
There's an easier way. We leave Smith and Holliday in their current positions, the we just bring Doug home to coach both football and basketball.

JoeHero

I don't say blah blah blah
A/V Subscriber
May 8, 2006
Personally, I want to see evidence that our coach has the skills necessary to compete in this league. If we're still regressing, repeating mistakes, and showing no signs of improvement, then I'd support moving on after this season.
Yep. If we start playing as a team and guys start to get back toward their potential there will be some hope that it was just a rough patch for a new coach. If we end up 2-16 in conference play then :runaway:

Dec 6, 2006
Tulsa
www.tulsalawyer.org
It needs to be deleted and should have never been posted. Coach has recruited a top 20 class for next year (his 3rd recruiting class) which will go higher if JT Thor signs. You have to give him at least next year to see what he can do, and threads like this don't help recruiting.

Oct 30, 2007
How many games for HCMB need to win to get this thread deleted?

P.S 9 games left. BU, KSUx2, ISU, OU, KU, TT, UT, WVU
The most realistic goal at this point is probably to win 5 more games and sneak into the NIT. That would give our younger guys more experience, and give us some momentum going into next season.

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
On Tour with the Gap Band
strikeupthegapband.com
The most realistic goal at this point is probably to win 5 more games and sneak into the NIT. That would give our younger guys more experience, and give us some momentum going into next season.

I'm on board with this. Heck, even winning 4 of 9 would at least give me a sliver of hope for next season.

What I really would like to see going into next season though, is a total revamp of the offense. A system that relies less on ball screens and dribbling, and more on screens off the ball, screening for the screener, and back cuts. Against a zone, extremely quick ball reversals along the perimeter with dribble penetration timed up to use the momentum of defenders against themselves. None of this pass, hold the ball for three or four seconds, and then pass again... None of this trying to use the dribble to set up the pass. Use the pass to set up the pass.

I also don't like and don't get how much zone D we've played this year. I think MB should go back to a more traditional man defense, more along the lines of what we played primarily his first season as coach when Carroll, Solomon, and Smith were running people out of the gym the back half of that season.

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
strikeupthegapband.com
don’t forget Shine and considering two of those guys are pro players now I think you may have answered your own question

Well, totally disagree with that...... what we have run on offense for the majority of the year is mindbogglingly bad basketball. Lack of screens off the ball, lack of screening for the screener, lack of movement away from the ball, too many ball screens, too much dribbling, not enough quick ball reversals that require a second pass immediately after the first pass. It doesn't take pro talent to do these. It doesn't take pro talent to at least be in the running for the NIT.....

And, as far as defense goes, I think the reason he's running so much zone is he knows we don't have the athleticism to play the passing lanes like what he wants. But, we really backed off of playing the passing lanes a lot the final half of his final season as an assistant, and his first year as HC. I wish we would go back to that. Instead, he's really tried to do exactly what Ford tried to do. Establish multiple defenses to blend into the flow of a game, but we end up not excelling at any of them. In other words, we have no identity on D now.

Last edited:

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
strikeupthegapband.com
don’t forget Shine and considering two of those guys are pro players now I think you may have answered your own question

And for the record, no one wants me to be wrong as much as I do. I would love for Boynton to really get things going next season, and have a long run of success here. I'm just not seeing the actual coaching to get it done at this point.

Sep 23, 2018
Stillwater
And for the record I’m not going to continue to support last in the big 12. This year has been majorly disappointing, but what concerns me more than anything is the player turnover. I think a coach deserves to develop his own players, but another year of lack luster performance and high turnover and I’ll be ready to move on, but I will NEVER be in the bring Doug home camp

JoeHero

I don't say blah blah blah
A/V Subscriber
May 8, 2006
It needs to be deleted and should have never been posted. Coach has recruited a top 20 class for next year (his 3rd recruiting class) which will go higher if JT Thor signs. You have to give him at least next year to see what he can do, and threads like this don't help recruiting.
The whole point of being here is to share ideas. 1-8 in conference play will have people thinking that a change needs to be made.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Yep. If we start playing as a team and guys start to get back toward their potential there will be some hope that it was just a rough patch for a new coach. If we end up 2-16 in conference play then :runaway:
Agreed. I liked a lot of what I saw on Wednesday. We didn't look great, but definitely looked a lot quicker, more organized, and just sharper in all respects. Kinda curious if Lindy's absence factored into that....

Well

Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Dec 17, 2009
Agreed. I liked a lot of what I saw on Wednesday. We didn't look great, but definitely looked a lot quicker, more organized, and just sharper in all respects. Kinda curious if Lindy's absence factored into that....
I believe that it did. And its sad that an injury had to keep him out, instead of the coach restricting his playing time.