Thanks Coach Boynton for putting in such hard work!!

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Mark me down as someone that understands the original intent of this thread, enjoys the freedom to have it up for discussion, but is also glad that Boynton is proving it to not age well. Really impressed with how we've rallied the last few weeks.

Oct 7, 2015
St. Elmo, CO
My comment in post #577 was intended to be tongue in cheek. I actually think DG would have success here, and would support him being hired if Boynton can't put it together. I also think that ship has sailed, and he won't ever coach here without going into coaching to develop his resume.
And my post was also sarcasm meaning Doug Gottlieb, as head coach, could do no worse than what we have now as far as the last 3 years results. DG could have done better, but not any worse.

I'm not calling for Boynton's head per se. The way we were playing earlier gave me no confidence in his ability to make the pieces fit. But lately, he's showing progress and making better decisions, getting better results.

Sep 24, 2011
Perhaps the "now" part of the thread title is too much, but Boynton brought this on himself with last year's record and an 0-8 Big 12 start. And just because we have played better does not change this season. Yes, if we pull off a run and make the tourney, Boynton will have proved his coaching. But that 0-8 start really looks bad now that we are playing better. If not for that horrendous start, we could be playing for the dance. This was a veteran team with some good newcomers. Boynton coached them poorly.

Many on this board were screaming to stop letting them jack threes and attack the basket. The so called experts assured us this was impossible. But the key to our turnaround has been attacking the basket. And playing the guys who can do that. It took a total disaster to get Boynton to make that change. Something that should have been obvious. So good for Boynton for making those changes. Bad for Boynton for basically throwing our season down the tubes before doing it.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Perhaps the "now" part of the thread title is too much, but Boynton brought this on himself with last year's record and an 0-8 Big 12 start. And just because we have played better does not change this season. Yes, if we pull off a run and make the tourney, Boynton will have proved his coaching. But that 0-8 start really looks bad now that we are playing better. If not for that horrendous start, we could be playing for the dance. This was a veteran team with some good newcomers. Boynton coached them poorly.

Many on this board were screaming to stop letting them jack threes and attack the basket. The so called experts assured us this was impossible. But the key to our turnaround has been attacking the basket. And playing the guys who can do that. It took a total disaster to get Boynton to make that change. Something that should have been obvious. So good for Boynton for making those changes. Bad for Boynton for basically throwing our season down the tubes before doing it.
We beat Kstate & upset Tech. I'll wait to make my parade plans.

Oct 25, 2009
Twin Falls, ID
Im glad that there are some who understand the original reasons for the thread. During our run of what Id call "appalling play", our offense was predicated on the three ball and we are built for getting the ball inside for higher percentage shots or drawing fouls. He was not subbing players for stupid mistakes or lackluster effort. There were a lot of people during game threads asking why we were not moving on offense, trying to get the ball inside to Mcgriff, Anei, etc. So it was obvious what needed to happen to those of us following along, but our coach was not adjusting. Fast forward to the last 5 games and our offense looks completely different, players are playing with more intensity, we are rebounding better and shooting at a much higher percentage. Im definitely enjoying watching our games now. And even if we lose games, as long as we are within a reasonable point differential, I consider that success from where we were a few short weeks ago. I can appreciate that the thread rubbed some people the wrong way, but it was warranted.

Dub

Cowboy
May 31, 2007
Palo Alto, CA
www.pillowfight.us
He lost the team’s best player, the PG that everything was built around, for a solid 4 week stretch. The new recruits are talented, but not ‘1 n done‘ talented. They needed time to mature and to learn. 0-8 was certainly disappointing, but in hindsight, you can see how critical Likely is to everyone else on the team.

Aug 7, 2006
Wow, 4-2 to finish. Are you drinking early today?
I don't think he's too far off, if we keep playing like we have the last few games. KSU and ISU aren't good at all and we have them both at home. OU isn't that great and we have them in Stillwater. Texas has been quite bad lately and by the time we play them they could have already fired Shaka hoping to get the first shot at Beilein.

Oct 25, 2009
Twin Falls, ID
Thought we might be turning a corner, but we are right back to a serious lack of fundamentals.

1. Too many floaters going up at close range and not using the glass for what its there for.
2. Bad defensive sets on the inbounds plays on the WVU end
3. Terrible rebounding positioning. Nobody...and I mean nobody seals their man off the glass. They just go into a jump ball contest.
4. Lazy passes
5. Shooting threes and one guy is anywhere near the offensive glass
6. Cmon coach....chew someones ass and sit them for playing soft or making brain dead mistakes!

Sep 24, 2011
The bad news this year is that players are free to do whatever they want. Maybe the good side of that is Cunningham will be good enough to win some games, and Boynton won't screw him up by coaching him.