The Creepy Joe thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jul 22, 2011
The definition of a Plutocrat is: "someone whose political power derives from their immense wealth."
What's the exact opposite of a Plutocrat? (Someone whose immense wealth derives from their political power)

There's not really a name for it. If you look up antonyms for plutocrat, it just gives you "pauper or poor person".
Weird.;)

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Wake up Joe! Your thread's still alive (whether you are or not)

https://www.yahoo.com/news/black-lives-matter-co-founder-235828289.html

“Frankly, I think [the Biden campaign is] well aware that they are pretty far from the concerns that this movement has put forward—and that is not acceptable,” Garza said during a TIME100 Talks discussion. “We need to push him to be a better candidate if he’s going to be the presumptive nominee.”

"Garza co-founded the Black Lives Matter movement in 2013 in response to the unjust killing of Trayvon Martin" This is admittedly a throw in on my part to point out the TIME writer's use of the adjective 'unjust' here, despite the fact that Zimmerman was found not guilty. This is a form of offering up your opinion in what's presented as a news piece.

“I think what we have right now is an opportunity not just to play it safe, but also not to think that just appealing to a mythical white working-class voter in the Midwest is the primary concern for any campaign when they see that Black Lives Matter is in the top issues that Democratic voters care about in this country,” Garza said.

“This movement is going to continue to organize people politically, to organize people practically, and to make sure that our voices are heard at the ballot box,” she said. “But candidates like Joe Biden who refuse to meet the moment miss an opportunity to be on the right side of history.”

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater

“Frankly, I think [the Biden campaign is] well aware that they are pretty far from the concerns that this movement has put forward—and that is not acceptable,” Garza said during a TIME100 Talks discussion. “We need to push him to be a better candidate if he’s going to be the presumptive nominee.”

"Garza co-founded the Black Lives Matter movement in 2013 in response to the unjust killing of Trayvon Martin" This is admittedly a throw in on my part to point out the TIME writer's use of the adjective 'unjust' here, despite the fact that Zimmerman was found not guilty. This is a form of offering up your opinion in what's presented as a news piece.

“I think what we have right now is an opportunity not just to play it safe, but also not to think that just appealing to a mythical white working-class voter in the Midwest is the primary concern for any campaign when they see that Black Lives Matter is in the top issues that Democratic voters care about in this country,” Garza said.

“This movement is going to continue to organize people politically, to organize people practically, and to make sure that our voices are heard at the ballot box,” she said. “But candidates like Joe Biden who refuse to meet the moment miss an opportunity to be on the right side of history.”
You don't think Zimmerman could be found not-guilty and the killing still be unjust?

Are you sure this is news?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

OSU79

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 22, 2009
Back home in God's (Green) Country
You don't think Zimmerman could be found not-guilty and the killing still be unjust?

Question 1: yes, it is possible (maybe even probable)
(see how I slipped my opinion in?)

Question 2: it's definitely not news, but the author definitely slipped his/her opinion of the Zimmerman case into an article about Garza. I don't mind someone pointing this out because it is now so common that most readers aren't really aware it is being done. I started complaining about this a few years ago and showing my wife how "journalists" from both sides now do it - she sees it often now, which pleases me as she better understands media manipulation.

I used to read both Time and Newsweek BECAUSE they were the most unbiased news sources available (that was pre-internet, kids). But they understand "news" doesn't sell any longer - everything has to be slanted to one audience or the other. It's good that every now and then someone points out to those audiences that they're being slanted to.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO

Like I said, the use of adjective by the author is opining in a news story, which is not an editorial or opinion piece.
This is Journalism 101, whether you believe the killing to be unjust or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Like I said, the use of adjective by the author is opining in a news story, which is not an editorial or opinion piece.
This is Journalism 101, whether you believe the killing to be unjust or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Here is the headline:
1595187304883.png

When it says in the headline, "Alicia Garza says..." it is talking about her opinion. It is a piece about her opinion. The headline is editorial. I get that you guys continually piss and moan about the media and I generally agree with you, but jeez.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Here is the headline:
View attachment 83778
When it says in the headline, "Alicia Garza says..." it is talking about her opinion. It is a piece about her opinion. The headline is editorial. I get that you guys continually piss and moan about the media and I generally agree with you, but jeez.
You really want to keep arguing this?

Garza is not the author of the article, & Garza is not quoted as calling the killing 'unjust', that is the adjective chosen by the reporter, Pauline Cochero.

You don't get it, it was a small aside to show how 'news' stories are editorialized all the time with this stuff. You don't understand that a news piece, about someone's opinion, is not an opinion piece or editorial on the part of the journalist presenting it. You don't know what you're talking about here, end of story.

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
You really want to keep arguing this?

Garza is not the author of the article, & Garza is not quoted as calling the killing 'unjust', that is the adjective the writer used.

You don't get it.
Clearly Paulina Cachero is the author of the article, and clearly it is an opinion piece and not a news piece. I'm not the one not getting it. Cachero is editorializing in an editorial. So freaking what.

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
To use your parlance: this is an apple (news story)
this is an orange (opinion/editorial piece)

Your argument here is really silly.
So, let me help you. Consider these two headlines:

"Black Lives Matters Leader Shoots Joe Biden at Campaign Rally"

That's news. That's about something that has happened. Big event. There is a Who (BLM leader), What (a shooting), a Where and when (at a campaign rally).

"Black Lives Matter Leader Says Joe Biden is Too Moderate for Us"

There is a Who (BLM leader), but no what where and when. The article is about her opinion about Joe Biden. There is no news, unless somehow you consider a BLM leader's opinion to be news. The author slipped her own opinion into an article about the BLM leader's opinion about Joe Biden. This is NOT the example of media bias you were looking for.
1595284722061.png

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
So, let me help you. Consider these two headlines:

"Black Lives Matters Leader Shoots Joe Biden at Campaign Rally"

That's news. That's about something that has happened. Big event. There is a Who (BLM leader), What (a shooting), a Where and when (at a campaign rally).

"Black Lives Matter Leader Says Joe Biden is Too Moderate for Us"

There is a Who (BLM leader), but no what where and when. The article is about her opinion about Joe Biden. There is no news, unless somehow you consider a BLM leader's opinion to be news. The author slipped her own opinion into an article about the BLM leader's opinion about Joe Biden. This is NOT the example of media bias you were looking for.
View attachment 83837
Just stop. This is pathetic.