the ESPN + thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jan 1, 2011
Houston
I can't really trust anything, when the B12 commissioner says 1 game for each team and we find out that only 4 out of 10 are participating. In addition to that 2 never will, but i bet they get their share of the extra money from + for the B12

snuffy

Free Harambe!
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 28, 2007
Oklahoma
I can't really trust anything, when the B12 commissioner says 1 game for each team and we find out that only 4 out of 10 are participating. In addition to that 2 never will, but i bet they get their share of the extra money from + for the B12
Where does it say one game per season?

Oct 30, 2007
Where does it say one game per season?
https://www.tulsaworld.com/sports/c...cle_35eb5bd1-ba64-591d-a340-f832dd4db5f5.html
Q: What sports are we talking about here?
A: Non-revenue ones, mostly. The idea is to give women’s basketball, baseball, softball, wrestling and the like a platform. But, yes, the eight participating schools will have one football game per season and a combined “upwards of 75” men’s basketball games on ESPN+.

Commissioner Bowslby made this comment during the Big 12 media day.

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
ESPN is nuts
KSU-OSU would get lots of viewers on national TV, a flip of the channel

But in a “+” streaming platform, they picked two of the smallest fan bases which are the only folks that would be interested enough to cough up $$

For example, no one in Arkansas or Mizzu will pay “+” for our game but they would sure watch if on ABC or ESPN

Mar 11, 2006
https://www.tulsaworld.com/sports/c...cle_35eb5bd1-ba64-591d-a340-f832dd4db5f5.html
A: Non-revenue ones, mostly. The idea is to give women’s basketball, baseball, softball, wrestling and the like a platform. But, yes, the eight participating schools will have one football game per season and a combined “upwards of 75” men’s basketball games on ESPN+.

Its always been one game. For the last several years the Big12 football contract provided one hold back game for all Big12 schools. Texas has sent their game to the Longhorn Network and OU has always kept their game as PPV. OSU last year gave their game back to Fox and Fox showed the game, but in previous years they have had their one game not be televised.
In last several years, there has never been more than one home game not on traditional TV.

snuffy

Free Harambe!
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 28, 2007
Oklahoma

Thanks, the way I heard it on the news was that it was a minimum of one game.

Apr 18, 2009
NW OKC
Thanks, the way I heard it on the news was that it was a minimum of one game.
According to what I heard the contract language was.. "at least one football game.." So either the Texas Lawyers, BI 12 is in Dallas, were so drunk and full of themselves they did not comprehend .."at least.." could mean more than one or did not give a crap, it was just a payday for them.

Nov 23, 2010
According to what I heard the contract language was.. "at least one football game.." So either the Texas Lawyers, BI 12 is in Dallas, were so drunk and full of themselves they did not comprehend .."at least.." could mean more than one or did not give a crap, it was just a payday for them.
I'm sure they knew that, it wasn't explicit, but the statement is really, "each participating team has turned over the one game not already covered by the grant of rights to ESPN+. ESPN+ is now an eligible network for participating teams during the network selection process each week." Our games can appear on networks still owned by Fox - Fox, FS1 and FS2, or Disney networks - ABC, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU or ESPN+.

Sep 12, 2013
Broken Arrow, OK
It means one thing. They suck at communication. Which is their frickin business!!!

snuffy

Free Harambe!
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 28, 2007
Oklahoma
Gonna be more than that most likely... maybe 3 conference games, but most non-conference will be on there.
Tramel said in thebradionthe preview he got from the Big 12 had multiple out of conference game sfor OU and OSU and 3 conference game each.

PistolPete'sMustache

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Aug 3, 2010
Tulsa, OK
So is it four participating schools or eight?

Edit: Looked it up, looks like BU, KU, KSU, and OSU start this year, TT, TCU, ISU, and WVU will be added next year.

Last edited:

PistolPete'sMustache

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Aug 3, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Next question, do we know how many baseball games will be on this service? I'd pay the $50 for the full year if all the baseball games will be available. I hated trying to use my in-laws' password on Fox Sports Go, it was never reliable.

snuffy

Free Harambe!
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 28, 2007
Oklahoma
Next question, do we know how many baseball games will be on this service? I'd pay the $50 for the full year if all the baseball games will be available. I hated trying to use my in-laws' password on Fox Sports Go, it was never reliable.
I would email the OSU SID or the Big 12, they may know and it help the PR aspect of this.

Nov 23, 2010
All home games that are not picked up by ESPN or Fox (presumably not including the RSNs which were spun off), that would mean all but 2 games if last year is a guide.

PistolPete'sMustache

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Aug 3, 2010
Tulsa, OK
So you can buy a year for $50, which brings it down to $4.16 per month. If you just wanted it for this month's football games, $5 seems fine for two games. It looks like it will be useful for basketball and baseball (and other non-revenue sports if you're into them) so it seems worthwhile to me. My only problem is after cutting the cord, it seems like we're now being nickle and dimed for every streaming service and internet costs are going up.