1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

The Jamie Blatnick Thread

Discussion in 'OSU Sports Forum' started by ostatesteeler44, Aug 1, 2010.

1. OrangeAggie

OrangeAggie Assistant to the Moderater A/V Subscriber

Re: More bad news... Blatnick!!!!

There's nothing wrong with hanging around in bars. If our student athletes are 21+, let them go out and have a good time, that's what college is all about.

Contrary to the popular belief of some, it is possible to go out and have some drinks with friends without having to spend the night in jail.

2. Chris H.

Chris H. administrator emeritus A/V Subscriber

I for one am glad we have a higher standard...

3. thrills

thrills Cowboy

Convicted of felony...probably gone, though his 'good kid' status could/should save him.
    Charges reduced and admission of guilt should be 3-4 games.
    Extenuating circumstances regarding the fight and/or charges dropped should be internal handling, maybe a game or two suspension.

Don't we have a policy on this stuff? I predict charges reduced and he's back after missing some games. If they don't reduce charges he will be getting treated differently than normal public that has decent representation and a clean background. Felonies from fights, even with a bottle, are rare.

4. Bay Area Poke

Bay Area Poke Cowboy

Has anyone read any witness statements or talked to any witnesses? I talked to someone who says they were there and they indicated that denning started the altercation but blatnick threw the first actual punch. However, the stories I have read state that blatnick was the instigator. Also, the stories I have read all state blatnick's height and weight but don't mention denning's. If he was an ex OL, he was probably a big dude as well. I'm curious as to what the facts are in that regard. Man this sucks, why can't guys be smart and just walk away? I'm really disappointed in this situation, all the way around--as I know you all are as well.

5. FightingtoWin

FightingtoWin Deputy

Deano just reported the the two guys (Blatnick and Denning) have made up so there is a chance the charges could be reduced

6. StillvilleKid

StillvilleKid Deputy

Handling things internally does not mean that you let things slide...it just means that you do not give a public statement one way or the other. There are enough "insiders" around the program that word will get out eventually. How many elite teams do you hear of publicizing punishments or indictments of their players? Did Stoops ever comment about Madu's impressive blood-alcohol level? Did Mack make some kind of public declaration when Sergio Kindle ran his car into an apartment complex in the wee hours of the morning?

It's fine to want a higher standard. However, IMO it set an ugly and dangerous precedent when Bo Bowling was allowed to return to the team. If you are willing to let someone with that rap sheet be a member of your team and represent your university, what kind of message are you sending to the rest of those guys?

7. im4okst

im4okst Protecting this house. A/V Subscriber

This is from the Blitz's Facebook (exactly like what ladycowboy is saying):

OKBlitz.com Update: A source tells OKBlitz.com Sports Director John Holcomb that Jamie Blatnick and Stephen Denning have "already made up" and that Denning doesn't want Blatnick to face severe consequences.

8. dvten25

dvten25 Deputy

If that is true than Denning should be applauded because it would be hard for me to forgive someone for doing that to my face. I hope that is the case, and if it is, then I still think Blatnick should face a couple game suspension.

9. giantpoke

giantpoke Cowboy

damn if this doesn't sound DD-ish.
    words are being eaten by a bunch of us now.

10. malpoke

malpoke Deputy

....at 1:30am??? Why so late? Didn't he ran enough stairs? Fall practice start next week...and the opening game starts next month?

Discipline! Student athletes must have Discipline.

There is time to study, time to workout, time to play, time to party/hang-out and time to rest & sleep. At 1:30am is surely time to sleep. Why was he still there?

Student athletes must commit themselves to schedules and time-lines.

11. malpoke

malpoke Deputy

3 game suspension and a position change. As a punishment to Blatnick, we move him interior to DT. He will struggle the first 3 weeks in the season, and that served the suspension anyway.

12. StillvilleKid

StillvilleKid Deputy

You do know that the bars don't close until 2:00 am right?

13. bleedn orange

bleedn orange Cowboy

Link
    http://bit.ly/atvlw9

14. BeatOU

BeatOU --- ... ..- Staff A/V Subscriber

Why does a police report/statement need to go into when people are on the OSU roster? Additionally, making official comments that DETAIL a person's medical information would violate HIPPA laws, wouldn't it?

http://www.okblitz.com/uploadedFiles/Blatnik news release.PDF

15. StillvilleKid

StillvilleKid Deputy

Interesting how this "news release" says that Blatnik instigated the fight, but someone on here who was at Murphys says that Denning started the fight by grabbing Blatnik by the throat, after which Blatnik threw the beer bottle. Perhaps these so called "witnesses" missed the first incident and only saw Denning get hit by the bottle and everything after?

16. OSUfanCliff

OSUfanCliff Deputy

Pepe' I think you have made some apt points. Not everything that has happened with the program since the current management has taken over has gone well. But I would first differentiate between major NCAA violations and mistakes in judgment.

In my opinion, there should be no tolerance whatever for major NCAA violations. While I am happy to support Coach Gundy in his present position, I would turn against him like on a dime if it ever turned out that he exposed or allowed someone on his staff to expose the university to probation and sanctions by running a dirty program. My support for Gundy as head coach is contingent on his running a clean program.

However, acceptance of errors in judgment is a relative thing. I recognize that sometimes a manager must choose between two undesirable alternatives. In some cases, there is no ideal or correct option. Sometimes, a manager may rightfully be subjected to criticism regardless of the decision he makes since there is simply no ideal or right decision to be made. And sometimes making the right decision--if there is one to be made--should involve more than simply remaining consistent for the sake of consistency.

You hit hard on secrecy. However, in a number of the areas you mentioned, privacy is an issue. Sometimes the only protection for individual privacy is secrecy. For example, do you think it is your right to be made aware of all the drug testing carried out by the athletic department? If not, why do you feel aggrieved by dismissals, suspensions, and arrests "that are suddenly sprung on the nation and that emanate from the most obscuring cloak of secrecy…"

Of course, there is secrecy. There must be. Our players desire privacy for themselves in certain matters and they have a right to it. And I might mention that if Oklahoma State University cannot provide reasonable privacy for our student athletes, there are other schools who can and will.

Do you not, yourself, desire a measure of privacy in your affairs? If so, why would you deny the same thing to our athletes? Do they deserve any less than you would wish for yourself? There is no way to maintain confidentiality in matters of privacy without secrecy.

Finally, despite your pointed concerns and stern warnings, I understand that Coach Gundy currently has wide support from the Cowboy Nation.

17. WorldseriesofPoke

WorldseriesofPoke Territorial Marshal

That release indicates Blatnicks first name is Anton. Anton Blatnick is a bad*ss name. It sounds like Keyser Soze's consigliere.

18. OrangeAlum

OrangeAlum Deputy

Valid point. Why go by Jamie?

19. Pepe' Le Poke

Pepe' Le Poke Sheriff

While I don't advocate the legalization of MJ, had Denning and Blatnick been smoking weed rather than gallons of 3.2, I'm thinking the whole thing would have gone down something like this:

Mr. Media Days!

Whatever Dude.

I can't believe that you're like the big stud that goes to Media Days, I used to own you at practice. He he.

Yea right, when I was like a 240 pound Freshman and you were like a Senior. Whatever.

We're really going to suck on Defense this year if you're the big stud lineman.

Dude!

Blatnick flicks a roach at Denning as he turns to walk towards the Pool Tables.

Hey butt head, that singed my eyebrow and could have burned my eye.

Whatever.

You guys chill out, there's a couple of cops in here.

Butt head.

Man, I'm hungry.

20. trippin629

trippin629 Sheriff

True: emotional issues while high < emotional issues while drunk