The Market Thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

OSUCowboy787

Territorial Marshal
Dec 31, 2008
Keller, Texas

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
Have both, if gold goes down below $1500 might buy a pound. Might buy some $100 face value 90% silver coinage as well, but until then what? Enquiring minds want suggestions.
You might have enough for yourself, but what about for barter later. In a horrible inflationary economy a barter system will crop up. Thus having a good supply of things that are going to be valuable for trade IS a good investment. Personally I don't see us getting that far though.

Last edited:

jobob85

Alcoholistic Sage
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009
Have both, if gold goes down below $1500 might buy a pound. Might buy some $100 face value 90% silver coinage as well, but until then what? Enquiring minds want suggestions.
Physical assets, real estate, precious metals (as you stated), canned goods, frozen foods, liquor, liquor, and liquor.

Pokey

Territorial Marshal
Sep 13, 2013
Left field
Back in the early 70’s we had inflation around 14-20% per month for a time. Is this lower or higher than you believe will transpire?

Pokey

Territorial Marshal
Sep 13, 2013
Left field
You might have enough for yourself, but was about for barter later. In a horrible inflationary economy a barter system will crop up. Thus having a good supply of things that are going to be valuable for trade IS a good investment. Personally I don't see us getting that far though.
I sure hope we don’t get that far either. I do have some items for barter but buying things I won’t use seems silly. Commodities, utilities?

ksupoke

We don't need no, thot kuntrol
A/V Subscriber
Feb 16, 2011
dark sarcasm in the classroom
Now that we are printing money rapidly to pay for the government substitute salaries and bailing out businesses, how soon should we expect noticeable inflation? Other than metals, what do you feel would be good investments during such times? Sure don’t want to go like Venezuela, and don’t believe we will. Ideas? Opinions?
Other than new money on the street and the debt that has to be serviced what is it that leads you to believe we are headed for crippling (20% + level) inflation. This country is never going to get back to level, that’s not an unknown it’s a known and inflation hasn’t been a serious issue.
The levers that would push us towards that simply don’t exist, at least yet.

Pokey

Territorial Marshal
Sep 13, 2013
Left field
Other than new money on the street and the debt that has to be serviced what is it that leads you to believe we are headed for crippling (20% + level) inflation. This country is never going to get back to level, that’s not an unknown it’s a known and inflation hasn’t been a serious issue.
The levers that would push us towards that simply don’t exist, at least yet.
I hope you’re right, but we’re rolling up bills and debt we can’t service, and the Fed said they would do whatever it takes to float the economy. Unlimited printing has to have a tangible effect on inflation.

ksupoke

A/V Subscriber
Feb 16, 2011
I hope you’re right, but we’re rolling up bills and debt we can’t service, and the Fed said they would do whatever it takes to float the economy. Unlimited printing has to have a tangible effect on inflation.
Interesting, all the qe of the gbjr era and subsequent handouts from bho didn’t create any dangerous levels of inflation and that was truly corporate handouts that created virtually no additional consumption, literally most of that money went directly to pumping up valuations of large corp entities. This plan, written by business people, is to maintain payroll and not only allow for necessary spending but to ensure new consumption coming out of the near shutdown of many companies, large and small, there are a large number of safeguards in place to ensure these funds don’t end up as just an addition to cash and c/e. If it lasts longer you’ll see more and every country is doing it so the supply/demand chain won’t break any time soon.
There’s plenty of pork but frankly anyone who didn’t expect that ain’t the sharpest crayon in the box.
Other than gold pundits, I’m one btw, and guys like Schiff who’s been crying hyperinflation from every mountaintop he could find, I’m still curious about the origin of your hyperinflation worries.

Last edited:

Pokey

Territorial Marshal
Sep 13, 2013
Left field
Interesting, all the qe of the gbjr era and subsequent handouts from bho didn’t create any dangerous levels of inflation and that was truly corporate handouts that created virtually no additional consumption, literally most of that money went directly to pumping up valuations of large corp entities. This plan, written by business people, is to maintain payroll and not only allow for necessary spending but to ensure new consumption coming out of the near shutdown of many companies, large and small, there are a large number of safeguards in place to ensure these funds don’t end up as just an addition to cash and c/e. If it lasts longer you’ll see more and every country is doing it so the supply/demand chain won’t break any time soon.
There’s plenty of pork but frankly anyone who didn’t expect that ain’t the sharpest crayon in the box.
Other than gold pundits, I’m one btw, and guys like Schiff who’s been crying hyperinflation from every mountaintop he could find, I’m still curious about the origin of your hyperinflation worries.
Guess it’s just a brain fart, you seem to have faith that this administration knows what it’s doing, but honestly I’ve never given any administration that much credit. Printing money like crazy has just got to cause considerable inflation. IMO I’m just looking for a safe place to park cash where it might keep up. Wife and I are not going back to work.

Pokey

Territorial Marshal
Sep 13, 2013
Left field
Asks for advice then tells the person advising (who is miles above him in economic acumine) he must be having a brain fart over the current administration. Once an asshole always an asshole.
Look stupid, if it wasn’t clear enough I was saying that I must have had a brain fart. Boy are you annoying! Read before pouncing jerk. Please!

ksupoke

A/V Subscriber
Feb 16, 2011
Guess it’s just a brain fart, you seem to have faith that this administration knows what it’s doing, but honestly I’ve never given any administration that much credit. Printing money like crazy has just got to cause considerable inflation. IMO I’m just looking for a safe place to park cash where it might keep up. Wife and I are not going back to work.
I’ve got little to no faith in gvt but I’m immersed in the business elements of CARES and within that the ppp. My faith is in the American business owner and the American worker to do the right thing, they’ve proven that given the opportunity they will. I’m not discounting debt it’s an issue that needs to be addressed will it ever be probably not, this however was a necessary step and importantly, unlike gbjr and bho and gbsr and jc’s handouts, it doesn’t pick winners and losers, damn near every business that is suffering is eligible and if used properly it adds no debt to the company all they repay is accrued interest, use it inappropriately and you could be on the hook for every penny you take. Large business has caps on executive compensation buy backs and many other areas, small business has caps on income levels and usage.

That’s how you can tell it was written by business and that’s why it is expected to generate new, not just replacement, consumption as we come out of this.

Pokey

Territorial Marshal
Sep 13, 2013
Left field
I’ve got little to no faith in gvt but I’m immersed in the business elements of CARES and within that the ppp. My faith is in the American business owner and the American worker to do the right thing, they’ve proven that given the opportunity they will. I’m not discounting debt it’s an issue that needs to be addressed will it ever be probably not, this however was a necessary step and importantly, unlike gbjr and bho and gbsr and jc’s handouts, it doesn’t pick winners and losers, damn near every business that is suffering is eligible and if used properly it adds no debt to the company all they repay is accrued interest, use it inappropriately and you could be on the hook for every penny you take. Large business has caps on executive compensation buy backs and many other areas, small business has caps on income levels and usage.

That’s how you can tell it was written by business and that’s why it is expected to generate new, not just replacement, consumption as we come out of this.
Thanks, hope you’re right. Glad someone can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

ksupoke

A/V Subscriber
Feb 16, 2011
Thanks, hope you’re right. Glad someone can see the light at the end of the tunnel.
We are all products of our environment (in its entirety, birth to the moment at hand) and each of us reacts differently to events based on how we’ve learned during each event we’ve witnessed.

The current situation, in this regard, is no different than other situations we as individuals have faced, it’s cliche but it’s true, a man’s true colors shine brightest when faced with the darkness of adversity. Just read the virus thread to get a small sample of that.

One thing I’m grateful for is that regardless of who has been President and whether or not I agreed with the action, in my lifetime, I’ve never witnessed a sense of panic from the office but I’ve always witnessed a sense of urgency. The same cannot be said of the media, Congress or some / many in the population.

Last edited: