The Market Thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

NotOnTV

BRB -- Taking an okie leak
Sep 14, 2010
Gondor
Really. Scotts has an interesting chart pattern as an usually strong stock. From its first dive with the market it came back strong and set a new high in early March and then dove again with with rest of the market. Later on April 27, it wasn't a bad time to buy when it resumed setting new highs and has continued doing so fairly regularly since. It gave off its first strong buy signal back on Jan. 29 at around $115 when it set its first all time high since August. Now at around $150. Its dividend isn't so great now. I'm no genius, since I don't want to spend time pouring over stock charts every day, but wouldn't be surprised at least some people make money who do.

Maybe Lowes and Home Depot are selling a lot of Miracle Gro. More people have time to garden.
Townie, yes it definitely takes chart analysis. Check out the late Bill O'Neill's CAN SLIM methodology if you get time. His publication, Investor's Business Daily has been staunchly conservative (although they are never-Trumper largely) but their actual content is more helpful than the WSJ for the self-guided investor.

StillwaterTownie

Federal Marshal
Jun 18, 2010
Where else but Stillwater
One of the best run companies on the planet. You can’t go wrong as long as you understand the stock price moves with the price of oil. Great investment if you buy now and have the patience to wait for oil prices to recover - which they will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Buy Exxon for its dividend alone. It's nearly 8%. CD rates still suck. If Trump is reelected, he may want to drive interest rates down so far the banks won't pay anything.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
One of the best run companies on the planet. You can’t go wrong as long as you understand the stock price moves with the price of oil. Great investment if you buy now and have the patience to wait for oil prices to recover - which they will.

Buy Exxon for its dividend alone. It's nearly 8%. CD rates still suck. If Trump is reelected, he may want to drive interest rates down so far the banks won't pay anything.
Cheap interest = cheap money = affordable expansions = growth = higher stock prices

FWIW, if you want to learn about traders, study stock charts. If you want to learn about a company, study the financials.

Last edited:

pokes16

Territorial Marshal
Oct 16, 2003
Tulsa
Townie, yes it definitely takes chart analysis. Check out the late Bill O'Neill's CAN SLIM methodology if you get time. His publication, Investor's Business Daily has been staunchly conservative (although they are never-Trumper largely) but their actual content is more helpful than the WSJ for the self-guided investor.
You a MS guy?

Sep 6, 2012
Edmond
Ahhhh gotcha. If my advisors don't step up their game then I may start using MarketSmith. Kind of a pricey tool if your money is already under management.
Your advisors, if your talking of Edward Jones and the like. They all follow the game plan of the main office. My best friend / slash advisor had a Edward Jones office until he changed to ameriprise.

NotOnTV

BRB -- Taking an okie leak
Sep 14, 2010
Gondor
Your advisors, if your talking of Edward Jones and the like. They all follow the game plan of the main office. My best friend / slash advisor had a Edward Jones office until he changed to ameriprise.
Yeah we have made the mistake of throwing a family friend who's an advisor at EJ a bone by handing him a not insignificant sum, which experienced bigger losses in the downturn and has not been as quick to recover in the upturn. We are trying to figure out an elegant way to move out of that account into our main one which has done much better under another advisor.

Given my background in finance, financial planning, and tax (before I changed careers to IT), I almost just want to retire, put it under my own management and use some of the available market tool subscriptions. The Edward Jones account has been a disappointment and the folks who run the other account have made some head-scratcher decisions.

pokes16

Territorial Marshal
Oct 16, 2003
Tulsa
Yeah we have made the mistake of throwing a family friend who's an advisor at EJ a bone by handing him a not insignificant sum, which experienced bigger losses in the downturn and has not been as quick to recover in the upturn. We are trying to figure out an elegant way to move out of that account into our main one which has done much better under another advisor.

Given my background in finance, financial planning, and tax (before I changed careers to IT), I almost just want to retire, put it under my own management and use some of the available market tool subscriptions. The Edward Jones account has been a disappointment and the folks who run the other account have made some head-scratcher decisions.
If you do, have 2 years of living expenses in cash so you don't make emotional decisions at the start. FWIW

Nov 6, 2010
So let's liven this one back up! My new best performer is Royal Caribbean. Up almost 55 percent since I bougt, just wish I had bought enough to make a difference. Anyone else with some big surprisers?

marshmo

Wrangler
A/V Subscriber
Dec 6, 2013
So let's liven this one back up! My new best performer is Royal Caribbean. Up almost 55 percent since I bougt, just wish I had bought enough to make a difference. Anyone else with some big surprisers?
I bought 200 shares of Halliburton for $5.30 in late March.
It's a little over $12 today. Wish I would've bought more.

Sep 6, 2012
Edmond

My best friend is my advisor on one account. He's done great with it. He has the small account and wants the big account and my gold account. I am about to cash out my gold account and I did cash my boeing. We bought some convertible bonds too.