The Market Thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Nov 6, 2010
Right...makes no sense. "The most hated rally in history".
I don't think anyone hates making money. From what I understand, the new jobless claims were much lower than expected. And of course as we have discussed, where else do you put your money right now?

NotOnTV

BRB -- Taking an okie leak
Sep 14, 2010
Gondor
I don't think anyone hates making money. From what I understand, the new jobless claims were much lower than expected. And of course as we have discussed, where else do you put your money right now?
Oh for sure...I'm just talking about the punditry and the bears having fits that this seems to make no sense (except for the fact that it's the only place to get yield now).

Oct 30, 2007
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/05/26/2020-election-democrats-281470
"We are about to see the best economic data we’ve seen in the history of this country," says a top former economic adviser to Obama.

I sure hope this prediction materializes. The 4th quarter could be interesting with the election and a possible resurgence of the virus, but the next few months could be really fun. If things go well, there's a very real chance that stock market indices will be at all time highs by the end of the year.

Who would've ever envisioned an 11 year bull market followed by a 4 week bear market?

Last edited:

steross

Bookface/Instagran legend
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
Better question. Who cares? Market goes up go with it. I used to care why. Don’t anymore as that clouds your thought process.
Well, for all my life until Trump came along, people called republicans cared about a big federal government domineering over our lives, capitalism, and free markets.. But, now that has done a 180 and republicans are for massive trillion dollar deficits, the federal gov trampling states rights, and domestic deployment of the military. I never thought I would see it but here we are.

Back to the market, if you aren’t looking at the whys, then you really aren’t looking at anything at all. Which isn’t a horrible strategy as the markets zig and zag but go up over time. I don’t know what thought process is involved in ignoring.

pokes16

Territorial Marshal
Oct 16, 2003
Tulsa
Well, for all my life until Trump came along, people called republicans cared about a big federal government domineering over our lives, capitalism, and free markets.. But, now that has done a 180 and republicans are for massive trillion dollar deficits, the federal gov trampling states rights, and domestic deployment of the military. I never thought I would see it but here we are.

Back to the market, if you aren’t looking at the whys, then you really aren’t looking at anything at all. Which isn’t a horrible strategy as the markets zig and zag but go up over time. I don’t know what thought process is involved in ignoring.
Pay attention to price, everything else is noise. Buy things that are going up, sell them or short them when they go down. Oh, and Don't fight the Fed...

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth

Nothing has changed...we are still against big fed's and think the bail out was a silly overreaction to a silly overreaction. Conserving states rights didn't each governor make his/her own choices on covid, as it should be? As far as the military deployed domestically...what did I miss? Btw, Trump isn't a republican so his rhetoric out of his mount initially isn't...and the action end up being conformed by to the party and changed...thank God.

steross

A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
Nothing has changed...we are still against big fed's and think the bail out was a silly overreaction to a silly overreaction. Conserving states rights didn't each governor make his/her own choices on covid, as it should be? As far as the military deployed domestically...what did I miss? Btw, Trump isn't a republican so his rhetoric out of his mount initially isn't...and the action end up being conformed by to the party and changed...thank God.
In my opinion, you have missed the past four years. If you can honestly say to me that you have not seen anything changed from history with respect to our current president's actions and the support he receives from conservatives despite that, there is really no reason to discuss it.

pokes16

Territorial Marshal
Oct 16, 2003
Tulsa
In my opinion, you have missed the past four years. If you can honestly say to me that you have not seen anything changed from history with respect to our current president's actions and the support he receives from conservatives despite that, there is really no reason to discuss it.
To my point, does any of this type of conversation make you money? Not being a jerk, just saying, that all the opinions etc etc are not what makes people money.

steross

A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
To my point, does any of this type of conversation make you money? Not being a jerk, just saying, that all the opinions etc etc are not what makes people money.
Well, what you said is crazy IMO, but I didn't really want to debate it. Pay attention to price only. Well, even the most limited of technical analysts would not consider only price (except the rare point and figure guys). Volume for example, can be critical. And, after scolding me for not paying attention to only technical details, you then tossed in "don't fight the fed" which is clearly a macro trend. So, in essence, your advice to me is to ignore all but the price and the fed. Well, what if price is trending below the 200dma (oops, moving averages are noise) what if price is going down while the fed is pumping up? Do you fight the price or the fed?

I look at this a lot like I evaluate a patient with chest pain. If someone has an ECG (price) that shows a possible heart attack I am worried. Add to that a troponin (volume) and I am pretty certain. At that point, smoking history, age, family history doesn't really matter but are icing on the cake.
On the other hand, if someone has a normal ECG and a normal troponin but is a heavy smoker and dad had a heart attack at age 41 I am not at all certain but still worried. If it is none of it, I have no worries at all.

Same with the market. If price/ volume action are clearly trending, I don't argue. But, if they aren't as clear, I look to other things to color my concern level.

That is what I do. I do just fine. I learned long ago there are many ways to do this and I'm not arrogant enough to think my method is the only one or even the best. It is just the best for me.

Last edited:

bleedinorange

Federal Marshal
Jan 11, 2010
In Pokey's head
Lol anarchists, the thuggish attempt to disrupt business in Trump's economy has failed as badly as all the faux rioter/looter outrage. April jobs report is 2.1m added. The most in one month in US history. All markets are within shouting distance of their all time highs. Trump's miserable week is being erased by his foresight in re-opening the economy. The limp wrist dems among whom the biggest balls are found on their women held out and refused to open their states in an effort to stifle the economic recovery and came out looking like the fools they are. This is unadulterated good news and I challenge the lefty idiots on this forum to find their dark cloud here. All the alphabet news agencies and their doomsayer economists predicted (hopefully) 8.1 million more unemployed. Read it and weep girly men. MAGA!

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO

Man, what a silly statement.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
That still describes some of us who are registered as Republicans. I feel I have been abandoned by the party.

NotOnTV

BRB -- Taking an okie leak
Sep 14, 2010
Gondor
Broad-brushy and strawman-y.