The Ocasio-Cortez Thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Something about AOC's background is very fishy to me.

How can somebody graduate with honors in economics from Boston University, and have to get a job as a waitress? There should have been plenty of jobs for this woman in New York with that degree graduating in 2012. Hell, I had an opportunity in New York after graduating in 2011 with an economics degree from OSU... And there were no honors for me!

It just doesn't add up.

steross

Bookface/Instagran legend
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city

How can somebody graduate with honors in economics from Boston University, and have to get a job as a waitress? There should have been plenty of jobs for this woman in New York with that degree graduating in 2012. Hell, I had an opportunity in New York after graduating in 2011 with an economics degree from OSU... And there were no honors for me!

It just doesn't add up.
It was the perfect post-college job for her goal.

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal

It just doesn't add up.
now, now, now you leave Sandy alone.... she was just trying to help her destitute mom.

she's always been an activist by trade and an economist by schooling....

A scrappy army
Ocasio-Cortez's father died of lung cancer when she was a sophomore in college. He was 48. Her Puerto Rican mother cleaned houses to support her two kids. But the money wasn't enough, and she had to fight off foreclosure.

After Ocasio-Cortez graduated from college, she wanted to help, so she moved home to the Bronx and supplemented her nonprofit jobs by waiting tables and mixing drinks at night.

THE TRUTH ABOUT ALEXANDRIA OCASIO-CORTEZ: The inside story of how, in just one year, Sandy the bartender became a lawmaker who triggers both parties
https://www.insider.com/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-biography-2019-1

SLVRBK

Johnny 8ball's PR Manager
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
Katy, TX

It just doesn't add up.
IIRC her degree is not in economics but in International Relations with something like a certificate in economics...something like 4 Econ classes, less than a minor

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
IIRC her degree is not in economics but in International Relations with something like a certificate in economics...something like 4 Econ classes, less than a minor
this is from SNOPES

A spokesperson for the university told us: “She graduated in 2011 with a Bachelor of Arts degree with two majors in International Relations and Economics. Latin Honors awarded was cum laude that is not tied to an individual major but the degree.”

A spokesperson for the congresswoman added: “She was awarded a double major [degree] in both International Relations and Economics.”

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
this is from SNOPES

A spokesperson for the university told us: “She graduated in 2011 with a Bachelor of Arts degree with two majors in International Relations and Economics. Latin Honors awarded was cum laude that is not tied to an individual major but the degree.”

A spokesperson for the congresswoman added: “She was awarded a double major [degree] in both International Relations and Economics.”
https://bastionofliberty.blogspot.com/2019/02/ocasio-cortez-economics-major.html

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Regardless of the definition of her economics major, a degree with honors from Boston University gets you a well paying job in NYC if you graduated in 2012.

Now... as Steross said... I guess she knew she wanted to work in those non-profits and didn't expect to make any money, so she took up tending bar to supplement her income. In this case, it's disingenuous of her and of her critics to call her a bartender or a waitress.

OSU79

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 22, 2009
Back home in God's (Green) Country
So the shampoo makes your hair fall out? And they won't shower with shampoo?

My entire life I've showered almost exclusively with bars of soap. Dial, Irish Spring, whatever is cheap when I buy a 12 pack. Drives my wife and kids crazy that I don't use shampoo. Drives them even crazier that I am 62 and retain a full head of hair with little gray. I also shave in the shower, using only that same bar of soap as "shaving cream."

I would totally dominate that concentration camp.

Nov 8, 2007
Bartlesville
My first thought during all of her statements was she said that agents yelled at her and threatened her physically and sexually. Ummm...so why not have them arrested on the spot?

John C

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Oct 13, 2011
9EE5F269-6C7F-43F6-9F43-1ADE939B7723.jpeg

Maybe she doesn’t know what potable means? This pic is from a federal court filing back when O was in the WH.

Nov 16, 2013
tractor
So the shampoo makes your hair fall out? And they won't shower with shampoo?

My entire life I've showered almost exclusively with bars of soap. Dial, Irish Spring, whatever is cheap when I buy a 12 pack. Drives my wife and kids crazy that I don't use shampoo. Drives them even crazier that I am 62 and retain a full head of hair with little gray. I also shave in the shower, using only that same bar of soap as "shaving cream."

I would totally dominate that concentration camp.
Damn, there goes my exceptionalism. I thought I was the only one that used the one bar theory.