The official thread for all things Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA)

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

SiggyPoke

Territorial Marshal
Nov 4, 2003
Tulsa
I'm reading two contradictory statements here.

The PUA program covers a range of non-traditional workers, including:
  • Freelancers
  • Independent contractors
  • Self-employed workers
In terms of who isn’t eligible for this program, you can’t claim benefits if:
According to this, one of the primary descriptions for a freelancer, is someone who works from home. Am I missing something here? If you're someone like me who is self-employed and can work remotely (also from home) and are still being effected by lack of work due to this pandemic and I'm not eligible for this since I can work from home?

ksupoke

We don't need no, thot kuntrol
A/V Subscriber
Feb 16, 2011
dark sarcasm in the classroom
I'm reading two contradictory statements here.

The PUA program covers a range of non-traditional workers, including:
  • Freelancers
  • Independent contractors
  • Self-employed workers
In terms of who isn’t eligible for this program, you can’t claim benefits if:
According to this, one of the primary descriptions for a freelancer, is someone who works from home. Am I missing something here? If you're someone like me who is self-employed and can work remotely (also from home) and are still being effected by lack of work due to this pandemic and I'm not eligible for this since I can work from home?
Latest guidance, you should qualify under the last paragraph.

The PUA benefits are payable if you don’t qualify for regular Unemployment Insurance (UI) benefits in California or another state and also do not qualify for state Disability Insurance or Paid Family Leave benefits. This includes:

Business owners
Self-employed individuals
Independent contractors
You can also be eligible if you qualified for regular UI benefits, but have already collected all of those benefits.

If you are not a US citizen, you can only be paid PUA benefits if you were legally working in the US when you were affected by COVID-19. You can only claim benefits for the weeks that you were legally allowed to work.

You must also meet one of the following criteria:

You have been diagnosed with COVID-19 or are experiencing symptoms of COVID-19 and are seeking a medical diagnosis.
You are unable to work because a health care provider advised you to self-quarantine due to concerns related to COVID-19.
A member of your household has been diagnosed with COVID-19.
You are providing care for a family member or a member of your household who has been diagnosed with COVID-19.
A child or other person in the household for whom you have primary caregiving responsibility is unable to attend school or another facility that is closed as a direct result of the COVID-19 and the school or facility care is required for you to work.
You became the breadwinner or major support for a household because the head of the household has died as a direct result of COVID-19.
You have to quit your job as a direct result of COVID-19.
Your place of employment is closed as a direct result of COVID-19.
You were scheduled to start a job that is now unavailable as a direct result of the COVID-19 public health emergency.
You are unable to reach the place of employment as a direct result of the COVID-19 public health emergency.
If you work as an independent contractor with reportable income, you may also qualify for PUA benefits if you are unemployed, partially employed, or unable or unavailable to work because the COVID-19 public health emergency has severely limited your ability to continue performing your customary work activities, and has thereby forced you to stop working.

SiggyPoke

Territorial Marshal
Nov 4, 2003
Tulsa
Latest guidance, you should qualify under the last paragraph.

The PUA benefits are payable if you don’t qualify for regular Unemployment Insurance (UI) benefits in California or another state and also do not qualify for state Disability Insurance or Paid Family Leave benefits. This includes:

Business owners
Self-employed individuals
Independent contractors
You can also be eligible if you qualified for regular UI benefits, but have already collected all of those benefits.

If you are not a US citizen, you can only be paid PUA benefits if you were legally working in the US when you were affected by COVID-19. You can only claim benefits for the weeks that you were legally allowed to work.

You must also meet one of the following criteria:

You have been diagnosed with COVID-19 or are experiencing symptoms of COVID-19 and are seeking a medical diagnosis.
You are unable to work because a health care provider advised you to self-quarantine due to concerns related to COVID-19.
A member of your household has been diagnosed with COVID-19.
You are providing care for a family member or a member of your household who has been diagnosed with COVID-19.
A child or other person in the household for whom you have primary caregiving responsibility is unable to attend school or another facility that is closed as a direct result of the COVID-19 and the school or facility care is required for you to work.
You became the breadwinner or major support for a household because the head of the household has died as a direct result of COVID-19.
You have to quit your job as a direct result of COVID-19.
Your place of employment is closed as a direct result of COVID-19.
You were scheduled to start a job that is now unavailable as a direct result of the COVID-19 public health emergency.
You are unable to reach the place of employment as a direct result of the COVID-19 public health emergency.
If you work as an independent contractor with reportable income, you may also qualify for PUA benefits if you are unemployed, partially employed, or unable or unavailable to work because the COVID-19 public health emergency has severely limited your ability to continue performing your customary work activities, and has thereby forced you to stop working.
I applied and was declined.

ksupoke

We don't need no, thot kuntrol
A/V Subscriber
Feb 16, 2011
dark sarcasm in the classroom
I applied and was declined.
If you want to give me more specifics about your situation (either here or dm) I’ll see if I can help.

There is almost no one who is ineligible it depends on 3 things, your job explanation, validating that explanation and finally and most unfortunately, who is assigned your application. You can reapply after one week but you want to make sure the 1st 2 items I mentioned are nailed before you do.

Jostate

Bluecolla's sock
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
I know a bartender drawing $1,400 / week. He won't go back to work as long as that continues.

SiggyPoke

Territorial Marshal
Nov 4, 2003
Tulsa
Does anyone else filing weekly claims for PUA like me have trouble actually talking to someone at the OESC? Every time I call and get to the part to hold for a representative ends up going to a recorded message saying due to this unprecedented yada yada yada, we are unable to take your call at the time. Please try again later.

Anyone know of another option or a secret number one can call?

wrenhal

Banned
Banned
Aug 11, 2011
Does anyone else filing weekly claims for PUA like me have trouble actually talking to someone at the OESC? Every time I call and get to the part to hold for a representative ends up going to a recorded message saying due to this unprecedented yada yada yada, we are unable to take your call at the time. Please try again later.

Anyone know of another option or a secret number one can call?
Ok. I've now had both my kids that have filed, have issues. Calling is a bit of luck. You have to keep calling and at the last prompt, instead of pressing 1, press 5 to speak with someone about other stuff. (I don't remember the wording).
Then sit for up to 2.5 hours.
Honestly, The couple of times I finally got through to somebody this way I ended up getting hung up on. So your best bet is to do the next option.

The other option is, between 9-3 (latest I'd get on is 3), you can get on with the "Virtual Agent" on the website. After you click I Agree, type in the message box: "chat with a live agent". It should put you in the queue. Prepare to be there anywhere from 1-2 hours. Keep checking it so you don't miss them. I periodically typed something just to keep the chat going.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Last edited:

SiggyPoke

Territorial Marshal
Nov 4, 2003
Tulsa
Ok. I've now had both my kids that have filled, have issues. Calling is a bit of luck. You have to keep calling and at the last not, instead of paying 1, press 5 to speak with someone about other stuff. (I don't remember the wording).
Honestly, The couple of times I finally got through to somebody this way I ended up getting hung up on. So your best bet is to do the next option.

The other option is, between 9-3 (latest I'd get on is 3), you can get on with the "Virtual Agent" on the website. After you click I Agree, type in the message box: "chat with a live agent". It should put you in the queue. Prepare to be there anywhere from 1-2 hours. Keep checking it so you don't miss them. I periodically typed something just to keep the chat going.

Thanks for the tip. You got hung up on for what reason?

wrenhal

Banned
Banned
Aug 11, 2011
Ok. I've now had both my kids that have filled, have issues. Calling is a bit of luck. You have to keep calling and at the last not, instead of paying 1, press 5 to speak with someone about other stuff. (I don't remember the wording).

Thanks for the tip. You got hung up on for what reason?
One time the person asked me for a piece of information I gave it to them and they said they had to look something up and they hung up The other one was in the middle of talking to me and they hung up.

SiggyPoke

Territorial Marshal
Nov 4, 2003
Tulsa
One time the person asked me for a piece of information I gave it to them and they said they had to look something up and they hung up The other one was in the middle of talking to me and they hung up.

Interesting. I was talking to a woman today after about two hours on hold and she seemed very helpful and got to the point of giving me a case number in case I had any further issues and then suddenly the call failed. I don't believe that means she hung up, but damn the call failing is still an issue they need to resolve. I never get that while on the phone with anyone else (at least in recent memory).

wrenhal

Banned
Banned
Aug 11, 2011

Interesting. I was talking to a woman today after about two hours on hold and she seemed very helpful and got to the point of giving me a case number in case I had any further issues and then suddenly the call failed. I don't believe that means she hung up, but damn the call failing is still an issue they need to resolve. I never get that while on the phone with anyone else (at least in recent memory).
Did you get the case number?
Hopefully it all gets resolved soon for you.

SiggyPoke

Territorial Marshal
Nov 4, 2003
Tulsa
Has anyone else who applied for PUA, was accepted and has recieved some money been having issues continuing to receive money even though you have filed weekly claims?

Jostate

Bluecolla's sock
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
It's hard to staff up positions where the perspective employee would take a pay cut to come to work.

wrenhal

Banned
Banned
Aug 11, 2011
Has anyone else who applied for PUA, was accepted and has recieved some money been having issues continuing to receive money even though you have filed weekly claims?
One of my sons was receiving unemployment insurance which is UI It's not the same thing but he had several weeks that he got nothing it was showing zero and he should have gotten payments. That's when I got on and ended up eventually getting on to chat and finding out that he had his account marked for fraud. But yet no one contacted him to tell him this. No letter no email no phone call no text nothing. So the only way to find out what was going on was to contact them eventually and get them to tell him that he needed to fax in a copy of his driver's licensed and social security number. Which why in this day and age does the government of Oklahoma not accept a freaking email where you've scanned in the documents they want. That is just ridiculous.

The other kid was being denied and wasn't even able to file in more claims because of some clerical error that they really never verified as to what the problem was but once I got a hold of them in chat I was able to say hey not being allowed to file my weekly claims and they went oh okay here there's something wrong let me turn that back on for you and there it was. So that's a different thing.

Basically what I'm saying is you won't know what's wrong until you contact them but it's more than likely something simple.
The sucky part about it is I have now faxed in his driver's license and social for the one kid two times and have yet to have it fixed he is waiting on eight weeks worth of payments now.

SiggyPoke

Territorial Marshal
Nov 4, 2003
Tulsa
One of my sons was receiving unemployment insurance which is UI It's not the same thing but he had several weeks that he got nothing it was showing zero and he should have gotten payments. That's when I got on and ended up eventually getting on to chat and finding out that he had his account marked for fraud. But yet no one contacted him to tell him this. No letter no email no phone call no text nothing. So the only way to find out what was going on was to contact them eventually and get them to tell him that he needed to fax in a copy of his driver's licensed and social security number. Which why in this day and age does the government of Oklahoma not accept a freaking email where you've scanned in the documents they want. That is just ridiculous.

The other kid was being denied and wasn't even able to file in more claims because of some clerical error that they really never verified as to what the problem was but once I got a hold of them in chat I was able to say hey not being allowed to file my weekly claims and they went oh okay here there's something wrong let me turn that back on for you and there it was. So that's a different thing.

Basically what I'm saying is you won't know what's wrong until you contact them but it's more than likely something simple.
The sucky part about it is I have now faxed in his driver's license and social for the one kid two times and have yet to have it fixed he is waiting on eight weeks worth of payments now.

Interesting. When I spoke with the lady she didn't indicate there was anything wrong and that I was doing everything correctly. I'll try getting in touch with someone again. Thanks!