The Real Fall Camp 2019 Thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 30, 2007
And yet Corn’s numbers were comparable to Zac Robinson’s.
Explain/defend
Numbers can be misleading without context. The Big 12 was a much better conference defensively back in 2006-09. OU & Texas were both loaded with NFL talent on the defensive side of the ball. We ran a slower offense that was nearly perfectly balanced with a 50/50 run pass split. Last year we ran an uptempo offense with a 38/62 run pass split. Robinson probably would've put up much bigger numbers in our current offensive system.

Cornelius was a good player. He was better than most of our fanbase gave him credit for. He was just inconsistent. He wasn't anywhere near as good as Robinson though. There's a reason why ZR got drafted and stuck in the NFL for a few years, and TC couldn't even stick in a camp as an undrafted free agent.

Dec 31, 2014
Tulsa
That statement is 100% subjective. It is called an opinion. The third sentence is also a subjective criteria. You cherry-picked a stat to try and prove a point.

Regardless, if Ehlinger's claim to fame is he is better the TC, then why in the hell is he being touted for the Heisman?
I never said Ehlinger should be in Heisman contention. I just said he had a better year than Corn. Yes I'm obviously giving my opinion. Literally everyone here is doing that, including you. If you're going to be the opinion police you're going to have a hard time on the internet.

My whole point is that he was good/great sometimes based on what we all saw as well as stats, and then there were games when he was terrible. His story was fantastic. I'm thrilled for the guy that he came from a nowhere town and waited his turn until his redshirt senior year to start, and in the biggest games of the year he played his heart out and won every one of them, except for a missed extra point in bedlam. When OU won I was mostly sad for him because that day he was one of the best quarterbacks in the country, and we couldn't squeeze it out.

Dec 31, 2014
Tulsa
But the true question is was he average because of himself or because of the o-line play and receivers?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
That really is the case. Both things can be true that the line was terrible at times, and that Corn really struggled sometimes. He also was really, really good at times.

Sep 12, 2018
Tulsa
You can't really compare Ehlinger's stats to TC because of the drastic differences in offensive philosophy. We took a lot of low percentage shots deep downfield every game and didn't connect very often. Some of that is on TC for poor throws or bad decision making but some of it is on Yurcich for his offensive style and play calling.

CasperPoke11

The Car'a'carn
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Apr 5, 2012
Stillwater,OK
Michael Doutey talks with Bill Haisten about Oklahoma State's quarterback competition, who we think will take the starting job, when that could happen, thought's on Gundy opening up about if OSU could have beat LSU in 2011.

Dec 31, 2014
Tulsa
A la Clint Chelf. Nobody has been hammering that guy and his completion percentage was 56% his senior year. If corn is average, then Clint must have been god awful.
If you remember Chelf only really played half year before he was subbed in for Walsh against a really good defense from TCU. He’s a good comparison though. He played really well at times, but had his limitations.

CasperPoke11

The Car'a'carn
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Apr 5, 2012
Stillwater,OK
Michael Doutey talks with Bill Haisten about Oklahoma State's quarterback competition, who we think will take the starting job, when that could happen, thought's on Gundy opening up about if OSU could have beat LSU in 2011.

BTW Haisten says that Sanders has stepped up big this last week and its started to click more for him. Brown hasn't taken a step back either, so its more of a competition now than it has been at any other point of camp. He also says based on what the source told him about Sanders making a move he expects him to have the job by the Texas game.

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
Yards are not a good representation of skill with quarterbacks. 59% is not a good completion percentage. Texas’ receivers were great, but ours were better. I’m not saying Corn was the problem, but he certainly was a problem. That being said, he played fantastic against Texas, Boise, West Virginia, and OU. In those games he played like an all big 12 quarterback. It’s also true that he was flat out bad against KState, Tech, and TCU.
I see that you didn’t pay attention to @cheiforange ‘s post. He was right. The losses were on Yurcich. He ran the offense in those game. Gundy planned it in Cornelius’s better games.
I see both sides, TC was good when he was comfortable in the play, but the OC didn't put him in the best position to be successful. When things weren't working we looked bad, when things were working we could complete with anyone. I'm very hopeful that Gleeson will set whoever is QB up for success based on his (Gleeson's) history alone. I don't think the QB was the issue as much as the plays being called.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2010
South Tulsa
Corn was a nice college player, but the level of worship for him by some of our fan base is ridiculous. Yes our o-line play was terrible at times, our defense was garbage at times, but Corn was also complete trash for large portions of games last year. He also played like a madman in the big games. Both things can be true!

He was the 7th best QB in the conference last year. OSU absolutely needs better than that.
Go back and watch the Texas game. Corn almost won that by himself. He definitely salted it away in the 4th quarter.

snuffy

Free Harambe!
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 28, 2007
Oklahoma
I guess it is time to start a new Fall Camp II thread.
Keeping this group on topic is like herding rabbits. I am one of the guilty parties as my mind wanders to tangents all the time.
Tangents are ok, they are a nature of the beast while we wait for more info to come. We had to kill the last one because of petty pissing matches.

Apr 7, 2006
5 years from now there will be someone digging up the mangled remains that is the dead horse that’s been beaten regarding Cornelius’s QB performance. Can that damn horse just Rest In Peace?

Dec 21, 2008
Has there been any news about the DL? Spring game was a long time ago but I haven’t seen much about Brock or Brendon or many of the CBs? Just curious if anyone’s sources have spilled any info yet? I know it’s been a secret summer, but does anyone else else feel we might be very good?

Status
Not open for further replies.