The Real Fall Camp 2019 Thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 14, 2006
Has there been any news about the DL? Spring game was a long time ago but I haven’t seen much about Brock or Brendon or many of the CBs? Just curious if anyone’s sources have spilled any info yet? I know it’s been a secret summer, but does anyone else else feel we might be very good?
Tape Doesn't Lie Podcast had an extensive breakdown. Very informative.

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
ICYMI from the weekend, first from Bill Haisten...

After having been a 2007 OSU walk-on – after having pitched for five years in the minor-league systems of the New York Yankees, Los Angeles Dodgers and Kansas City Royals – Brandon Weeden became a superstar for Mike Gundy.

Any list of the best Gundy-coached Cowboys would include Russell Okung, Kendall Hunter, Dez Bryant, Zac Robinson, Weeden, Mason Rudolph, Brandon Pettigrew, Justin Blackmon and James Washington.

The most important of the Gundy-coached Cowboys? The most impactful?

That would be Weeden, who combined the maturity of having been an older QB with the best arm talent in OSU history. He was 26 when he became the starter.

“Mason is the more decorated player because (he was a three-year starter),” Gundy said, “but Weeden vaulted himself into being a face of Oklahoma State football.”
Frank Bonner II spoke to center Johnny Wilson on the QB battle...

Oklahoma State quarterbacks Dru Brown and Spencer Sanders continue to split reps during the quarterback battle, which gives center Johnny Wilson plenty of practice snapping balls to both players.

Wilson has snapped to former OSU quarterbacks Mason Rudolph and Taylor Cornelius during his time with the Cowboys. He could potentially start his senior season by snapping to two quarterbacks in the same game.

Wilson said snapping to both quarterbacks isn’t a problem for him.

“I don’t even notice,” Wilson said of the quarterback changes. “They just change in and out — a little different voices, but that’s it.”
Also from Frank, a look at where Coach Gundy stacks up against other OSU head coaches in tenure, number of wins and win percentage.

Bowl game appearances: 13

The head coaches before Gundy combined for 16 bowl game appearances before he took over in 2005. Gundy didn’t make a bowl game his first season but has taken the Cowboys to 13 consecutive bowl games.

The expectation is that this year will be the 14th consecutive bowl appearance for Gundy and the Cowboys. By the time Gundy is finished coaching, he will have more than doubled Oklahoma State’s bowl appearances from when he first started.

Nov 6, 2010
Seeing Thomas Harper swat away that pass gets me excited. Duffie says he has tremendous ball skills. Hoping he can be like a Tyrann Mathieu type for us.
Yea, I think we definitely got a good one with him. There is a place for the taller corners obviously with the height of some of the receivers, but there is also a place for the small quicker ones that can beat people to the spot. He seems to fit that bill.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
Patently false and it is clear you have no idea what the word objective means. Go look at stats from last year and TC's were better in most despite playing in one less game.
Once again, yards are not a good metric to judge a good quarterback on. Ehlinger completed nearly 65% of his passes compared to Corn's 59%. Corn didn't even get invited to an NFL training camp. Seems pretty objective to me.
Watch much football? We throw the ball down field WAY more than most programs. 59% (about 2 less completions per game) in our offense is like 65-70% (or more) in the dink and dunk offenses. Even with a lower completion rate, Corns YPA was higher than Ehlinger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Corn was great at times, but also had some bad stretches as well. Corn played (passed) at a higher level than Ehlinger, especially when he was on, and he was not a bad runner either. Ehlinger was more consistent from what I saw, but I admit I only saw maybe 3 games he played.
All that matters...
Passing Yards
TEX
S. Ehlinger22-42, 283 YDS, 2 TD
OKST
T. Cornelius23-34, 321 YDS, 3 TD

Josephus33

Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Dec 31, 2014
Tulsa
Watch much football? We throw the ball down field WAY more than most programs. 59% (about 2 less completions per game) in our offense is like 65-70% (or more) in the dink and dunk offenses. Even with a lower completion rate, Corns YPA was higher than Ehlinger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quite a bit. YPA is a very good metric, IMO. While your point is a good one, we do more than our fair share of dink and dunk.

I’m not trying solely to compare Ehlinger and Cornelius. Corn was better at some things than him last year. My issues with Corn are his accuracy, number of interceptions, and his inconsistency. He had 3 games in the 40’s with completion percentage, and he led the league in picks. He threw for the 4th most yards in the nation last year, but he also threw it the 4th most times.

Compare him with Rudolph, the year before.

Rudolph - 170 rating
318/489 (65%), 4900 yds, 10 y/a, 37tds, 9ints

Cornelius - 144 rating
288/485 (59%), 4000 yds, 8.2 y/a, 32tds, 13ints

The guy who won the Heisman last year threw it 100 fewer times for 400 more yards and ten more TD’s. He did that by being accurate. We don’t need a Heisman winner to win the conference, but we need someone at least as good as Rudolph.

Josephus33

Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Dec 31, 2014
Tulsa
I’m ready to move on from Corn and actually talk about Fall Camp 2019. I heard a lot of guys on the team want Dru Brown to start. I also saw Sione Asi jogging in town shirtless yesterday and my goodness is he a large man.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
Quite a bit. YPA is a very good metric, IMO. While your point is a good one, we do more than our fair share of dink and dunk.

I’m not trying solely to compare Ehlinger and Cornelius. Corn was better at some things than him last year. My issues with Corn are his accuracy, number of interceptions, and his inconsistency. He had 3 games in the 40’s with completion percentage, and he led the league in picks. He threw for the 4th most yards in the nation last year, but he also threw it the 4th most times.

Compare him with Rudolph, the year before.

Rudolph - 170 rating
318/489 (65%), 4900 yds, 10 y/a, 37tds, 9ints

Cornelius - 144 rating
288/485 (59%), 4000 yds, 8.2 y/a, 32tds, 13ints

The guy who won the Heisman last year threw it 100 fewer times for 400 more yards and ten more TD’s. He did that by being accurate. We don’t need a Heisman winner to win the conference, but we need someone at least as good as Rudolph.
But you continue to argue completion percentage as the "reason" Corn was way down the list of B12 QB's. That's just silly. YPA is WAY more important than completion %.

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
From Frank Bonner II...

The Oklahoma State defense had its struggles last season, but the Cowboys expect to be better in defensive coordinator Jim Knowles’ second year on the job.

There are still a lot of questions surrounding the defensive line, but the secondary should be pretty solid for the Cowboys this season.

“I think our defensive backfield has a chance to be really, really good and with depth,” Knowles said. “All those young guys who were thrown into the fire last year, they’ll be better.”

Sophomores Jarrick Bernard, Tanner McCalister and Kolby Harvell all saw playing time as freshmen and will be relied on heavily this year. Two players OSU has always been able to count on are third-year starters A.J. Green and Rodarius Williams at cornerback.

The Cowboys need both Green and Williams to play well this season while helping the younger players continue to progress.

Josephus33

Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Dec 31, 2014
Tulsa
But you continue to argue completion percentage as the "reason" Corn was way down the list of B12 QB's. That's just silly. YPA is WAY more important than completion %.
I agree with you, but it’s also true completion percentage is far more important than yards, and there were a lot of people citing his yardage.

Status
Not open for further replies.