The rich paying their fair share

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jul 20, 2018
You found me out everything I’ve posted since I joined has been a giant ruse that offered cover for my admiration for bho. Let’s just take a look at a few companies whose primary shareholders (ie ultra wealthy) are materially subsidized by the US taxpayers: I’m not talking about the Mom and pop restaurant success story, I’m referring to Solyndra, every Elon musk company, Walmart, Target big pharma the railroads, the military industrial complex and so on and so on.
Yes, they take more (in total) from the taxpayers than the individual handouts.
Oh ok. So now we're moving the conversation to the ultra wealthy shareholders of companies who take in more from the government than they pay in taxes? Let's take Walmart. How much money does Walmart get from the federal government each year?

Jonkr06

Territorial Marshal
Aug 18, 2007
Katy, TX
I always find it interesting how often this board defends the rich. Must have a lot of high rollers on here.

Now if we're talking about the 'rich' as the Government defines it...which is actually middle to upper middle class in today's world...then I agree 100%. If we're taking about the actual, truly wealthy, I couldn't give two shits about how much they pay. When you're the top percentage of the top percentage, you could flush cash down the toilet all day, every day and it wouldn't make a single difference to you, your kids, your grandkids, etc. Forgive me if I don't feel sorry for them. They have benefitted from the system a million times more than the system could ever screw them over.
Some don’t understand the rich already pay their fair share. Others are envious and greedy.
Now I guess there is a third group: those that don’t care about fair treatment of others. And follow the non-golden rule: do unto others as you wish as long as its not me.
Lol, do you honestly think the super wealthy got where they are by being fair? Keep fighting for them though. They surely need your help.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying our tax code is fair. It is far from it.

ksupoke

We don't need no, thot kuntrol
A/V Subscriber
Feb 16, 2011
dark sarcasm in the classroom
Oh ok. So now we're moving the conversation to the ultra wealthy shareholders of companies who take in more from the government than they pay in taxes? Let's take Walmart. How much money does Walmart get from the federal government each year?
The ultra wealthy is what this conversation is about, to answer your question - if I’m remembering correctly in 17 Forbes published that every Walmart in the country receives between $1M and $1.6M in public assistance annually. I would have to find and reread the article to see what all is included in that figure but I can assure you it’s not all gvt assistance received by Walmart and it’s employees.

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
The ultra wealthy is what this conversation is about, to answer your question - if I’m remembering correctly in 17 Forbes published that every Walmart in the country receives between $1M and $1.6M in public assistance annually. I would have to find and reread the article to see what all is included in that figure but I can assure you it’s not all gvt assistance received by Walmart and it’s employees.
Are you talking about them accepting food stamps?

ksupoke

We don't need no, thot kuntrol
A/V Subscriber
Feb 16, 2011
dark sarcasm in the classroom
Are you talking about them accepting food stamps?
That’s certainly part of their subsidies but by no means is that the entirety of what they receive. But just using that as the por Walmart’s profits are buffeted by over $100m per annum by taxpayers. Sometimes the line between the recipients is blurred but the payer is never in question, it’s always the taxpayers. I would also caution not to get laser focused on the Walmart element there are so many others the gvt provides taxpayer funded handouts to that we sometimes demonize Walmart as being the only one and that’s not accurate.

Last edited:

StillwaterTownie

Federal Marshal
Jun 18, 2010
Where else but Stillwater
Some don’t understand the rich already pay their fair share. Others are envious and greedy.
Now I guess there is a third group: those that don’t care about fair treatment of others. And follow the non-golden rule: do unto others as you wish as long as its not me.
Oh, really? I wonder why Trump won't release his tax returns and now who else won't do it is Trump Jr, Oklahoma Republican candidate for governor, Kevin Stitt. I'm certainly not voting for him.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
Doesn’t matter. Read the article. The rich are paying WAY more than what should be considered a fair share.
The problem with "fair" is it is a moral term, and no two people are ever going to agree on it, that is unless they approach from the same ethical worldview. Thus, talking about taxes in terms of "fair" is pure bullspit at the outset. You are falling into a trap by using the term. The question isn't about "fairness" it is about funding the essential functions of the government efficiently. And our government spends money on things so far beyond its essential functions that it is simply unbelievable.

For fiscal year 2017
Federal revenues: $3.316 trillion
Federal spending: $3.982 trillion
Deficit: $665 billion
Debt: $20.24 trillion

I've asked this question before and have never gotten anything close to a satisfactory answer, with federal revenues in excess of $3 trillion, why isn't that enough?

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
It's funny how when conservatives want to talk about morals liberals are all "we can legislate morals" but when liberals want to legislate morals they want "fairness" and have no problems with legislating their morals.

Mar 11, 2006
Lol, do you honestly think the super wealthy got where they are by being fair? Keep fighting for them though. They surely need your help.

Love it.
You assume anyone that is wealthy got there but not being fair and honest.

Well done. Appreciate the insight to your views. Now I understand better why you want to attack their money.

Jul 20, 2018
Exactly how does a store get public assistance from the federal government? I could see where, maybe, a local or state government gave them a break on local property taxes for a few years if they built a Walmart in their town but I have no idea what you're talking about a Walmart getting "public assistance".

cowboyethics344

Federal Marshal
Apr 2, 2008
Oh, really? I wonder why Trump won't release his tax returns and now who else won't do it is Trump Jr, Oklahoma Republican candidate for governor, Kevin Stitt. I'm certainly not voting for him.
Considering Donald Trump has lost nearly a billion dollars being in office, I would say it’s fair to say that trump doesn’t need to explain himself to liberals like Obama who started their presidency with less than a million and amassed multimillion dollars in wealth.

Jonkr06

Territorial Marshal
Aug 18, 2007
Katy, TX

Love it.
You assume anyone that is wealthy got there but not being fair and honest.

Well done. Appreciate the insight to your views. Now I understand better why you want to attack their money.
The richest of the rich? In general, yes, I do believe that. Convince me otherwise if you disagree.

As I already pointed out, I am not referring to the 'rich' who make $250K/year. Those, for the most part, are honest hard-working people just like the rest of us. Stand up for them because they're the ones getting screwed by footing more and more of the bill with hard-earned dollars that actually affect their livelihood.

NotOnTV

BRB -- Taking an okie leak
Sep 14, 2010
Gondor
The richest of the rich? In general, yes, I do believe that. Convince me otherwise if you disagree.

As I already pointed out, I am not referring to the 'rich' who make $250K/year. Those, for the most part, are honest hard-working people just like the rest of us. Stand up for them because they're the ones getting screwed by footing more and more of the bill with hard-earned dollars that actually affect their livelihood.
You made the assertion, you provide the basis.

Bowers2

Stackin' Joe's Cups
A/V Subscriber
Jul 31, 2006
Edmond

The billionaires you're talking about are few and far between. If I remember right, from the Millionaire Next Door, over 85% of millionaires are self made, first generation millionaires who live well within their means. Now, I will concede that living well within your means is getting much harder to do now-a-days, but I think the point remains.

Jonkr06

Territorial Marshal
Aug 18, 2007
Katy, TX

You made the assertion, you provide the basis.
I feel like that would be a waste of everyone's time as minds are already made up. Also, believe it or not, I have actual work to do today. Keep fighting the good fight though.