The Stock Market is gonna crash!?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Bull-freakin'-crap. Seems that a TDS vaccine is needed more than a corona virus vaccine. It's turning the Trump-demented into mindless zombies.
I like Trump for the most part. Things are really good in his presidency.

He just made a mistake here. Is it not ok to point that out?

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
I disagree. As much as I can't stand Trump and his non-policies, this seems a little more fundamental. It looks to me like the market is just now coming to grips with the fact that people are not going to work, and people are not getting on airplanes, and because of that oil is tanking, and all the possible ramifications of all those things for tourism, supply chains, etc. On top of that, we've had a bull market for what, 10 years now?? This all screams snowball to me.
And with the interest rate being what it is and the dollar being strong, we are poised to continue to see a bull market... Even with the election (mostly because it is looking like there won't be any uncertainty there and Trump will be reelected).

The problem is that uncertainty was introduced because the leader of our country basically said that they aren't prepared for or concerned about something that the rest of the world is concerned about but also unprepared for.

So the market is reacting violently.

NotOnTV

BRB -- Taking an okie leak
Sep 14, 2010
Gondor
I like Trump for the most part. Things are really good in his presidency.

He just made a mistake here. Is it not ok to point that out?
No it is fair to criticize. In calming down, I'm coming to the realization that the shelves at Lowe's, CVS, Walgreens, WalMart in my area are wiped of N-95 masks and hand sanitizer, and that we are indeed flat footed in having to deal with diagnosis and treatment of a pandemic. China may end up with the "last laugh" so to speak and we could very well end up looking like arrogant fools as a country when it's all said and done. I am still not sold that this will become an epidemic on the relative scale of the 1918 Spanish flu, but it would be reckless to discount that possibility.

Anyhoo, I'm wondering where you get your numbers when you say inflation is currently a problem. I'm not really seeing it here in our neck of the woods.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
No it is fair to criticize. In calming down, I'm coming to the realization that the shelves at Lowe's, CVS, Walgreens, WalMart in my area are wiped of N-95 masks and hand sanitizer, and that we are indeed flat footed in having to deal with diagnosis and treatment of a pandemic. China may end up with the "last laugh" so to speak and we could very well end up looking like arrogant fools as a country when it's all said and done. I am still not sold that this will become an epidemic on the relative scale of the 1918 Spanish flu, but it would be reckless to discount that possibility.

Anyhoo, I'm wondering where you get your numbers when you say inflation is currently a problem. I'm not really seeing it here in our neck of the woods.
It's not a problem because the rest of the world is doing the same thing we are doing... But 12 years of extremely low interest rates makes it easier to borrow money, which in turn increases the money supply, which means inflation.

I think a Euro is $1.10 right now, right? I mean that's the best it's been in a very, very long time. So we are in amazing shape... But it doesn't mean that inflation doesn't exist. It's just masked by a few things...

Nov 6, 2010
So just got the news that my company cut 150 jobs. From my understanding this was a restructuring that had been in the works for a couple months and nothing to do with the current scare. Bad timing for those folks though, with all this going on, I don't think there is going to be much hiring going on. And of course if a recession takes hold, then they'll all start laying off. Crazy how the chain reactions can cause a snowball effect so quickly.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Stupid overreaction on all fronts tells me
That the human race has seemingly lost all perspective and logic. Would hate to see the reaction to a real emergency. What’s irresponsible is an over reaction.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Engineered crash is engineered.
How is this engineered...inquiring minds want to know? Don't doubt it, but how...and why?

Also, tell me why are we overreacting to this tiny virus with less than 600 us cases and a decline in it's native China? When will the media print stories on any positives related too it's likely impending demise instead of it's unlikely killing of millions? Will the market have to crash completely first?

PokeJ

Sheriff
Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
"Be fearful when others are greedy and greedy when others are fearful - Warren Buffet"
- @Bowers2
I wish we had the money to buy this. We are fully invested to the extent our risk profile will allow for our retirement timeline. We're just going to have to ride it out.
That’s probably the best advice for everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jakeman

Unhinged Idiot
A/V Subscriber
Apr 4, 2005
Limbo
I wish we had the money to buy this. We are fully invested to the extent our risk profile will allow for our retirement timeline. We're just going to have to ride it out.
I’ve upped my contribution to the max. My liquid money is going to sit this out for a while.

You can’t ever really time the bottom, so I’ll wait until it looks like this is over then buy some stuff I wouldn’t mind holding long term that looks like it might be on sale.

I don’t think this is the time to be buying speculative, or new stuff.

We’ll see.

Oct 30, 2007
The stock market didn't like the announcement of the European travel ban. Stock market index futures are down more than 4% on the news. Tomorrow could be another ugly day.

The Dow closed in bear market territory today for the first time since the financial crisis. The S&P 500 & Nasdaq will probably do the same tomorrow unless we get get a strong bounce from a stimulus announcement. These are interesting times for sure.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
Folks, no person on the planet has ever seen the type of panic and fear that will likely be experienced tomorrow. Mark it down. Financial markets will almost totally collapse. Paper losses will be beyond massive and life changing in many ways.

I hope I’m wrong. I hope everyone is as patient as me and simply decides to ride it out - thus mitigating some of the inevitable disaster. Boy, I hope I’m wrong and everyone here gives me grief.

But it’s hard to be hopeful.

jobob85

Alcoholistic Sage
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009
Folks, no person on the planet has ever seen the type of panic and fear that will likely be experienced tomorrow. Mark it down. Financial markets will almost totally collapse. Paper losses will be beyond massive and life changing in many ways.

I hope I’m wrong. I hope everyone is as patient as me and simply decides to ride it out - thus mitigating some of the inevitable disaster. Boy, I hope I’m wrong and everyone here gives me grief.

If as a percentage it beats “black Monday” it will be an amazing event.

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN

So for the guy that doesn't pay too close attention and puts the company match amount into a ML index, do I ride it out or pull back for a couple of months? Were only talking a few hundred dollars here if I go to 0% for say 2 months while this blows over and then I go back to my normal contribution. During a normal downturn no changes because I'm buying more shares every pay period, but something like this where it's gonna crater, am I just pissing away money near term?

I'm guessing a lot of people are asking the same thing which is not good.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO

So for the guy that doesn't pay too close attention and puts the company match amount into a ML index, do I ride it out or pull back for a couple of months? Were only talking a few hundred dollars here if I go to 0% for say 2 months while this blows over and then I go back to my normal contribution. During a normal downturn no changes because I'm buying more shares every pay period, but something like this where it's gonna crater, am I just pissing away money near term?

I'm guessing a lot of people are asking the same thing which is not good.
Assuming you won’t need it for +10 yrs, I absolutely wouldn’t change anything. Buying at low prices with expected share price growth is a wonderful place to be.

jakeman

Unhinged Idiot
A/V Subscriber
Apr 4, 2005
Limbo
I’m not a financial advisor, but pick a good fund that has performed well long term, and max your contributions.

Buy low. Sell high. If you’re young you need to be putting as much into the market in solid funds and companies as you can afford and still cover your monthly expenses. When the market rebounds, lower your contribution rate if you want. That’s going to be your call. If your company matches, even better. I’d figure out what contribution level would get you to the yearly max, and move it to that.

I’m over 50 and maxed mine the last couple of years in May, then started contributing in a Roth catch up. I lost the match, but my plan offers deferred compensation in the form of contributions to my fund, so I was able to continue to get their match. It just shows up as a different account in my portfolio. .

Just my opinion, but that’s what I’m doing.

Good luck with your decision.

Last edited: