This is what happens...

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
Didn’t say they didn’t have talent. I’m saying he didn’t get the 4 and 5 star high school recruits.
My bad... When you said that, it was in response to the comment "It's NOT coaching...it's talent availability." There was no mention of 4*/5*... only talent.... So it made it appear as if you were saying that Bill Snyder was able to coach well despite not having talent.

Nov 16, 2013
tractor
I have seen this story play out before. Here is what is coming:
1. Barry Trammell will tell us how grateful we should be to have Gundy and he is the greatest we've ever had and runs a clean program. Blevins will join in.
2. Sportsanimal boys, including Trabor, will mimic Trammell.
3. We will be told that the players have to make plays and its not on the coaches.
4. There will be a kumbya moment with the media and Gundy, the Kyle's and Trabor be effusive in praise of his new found openness.

Holder will have a hard time firing the new media darling. Nevermind that Gundy should not have been let on the bus back to Stillwater Saturday night.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
No one is getting fired for bedlam performance only...if so only two or three schools in the conference would keep yogurt (lol, auto correct) current coaches and those two or three would lose those in a few years. While Gundy indeed sucks on Bedlam...so does the rest of the conference so the solution is to bring recruiting equity to the conference to level the playing field. Then fire Gundy all you want of he continues to lose on an equal/level playing field.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
No one is getting fired for bedlam performance only...if so only two or three schools in the conference would keep yogurt current coaches and those two or three would lose those in a few years. While Gundy indeed sucks on Bedlam...so does the rest of the conference so the solution is to bring recruiting equity to the conference to level the playing field. Then fire Gundy all you want of he continues to lose on an equal playing field.
Correct. They haven’t lost to anybody that the so called experts thought we wouldn’t lose to in the preseason. We are right on the chalk line if we don’t lose to Tech, Baylor or TCU. Haven’t exceeded non bias expectations but we haven’t fallen below expectations,,,yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tmcats

Wrangler
Feb 13, 2014
i watched expecting a good close game. regrettably, it wasn't.

i also expected afterward to find the usual suspects lamenting about gundy being some sort of unskilled, hapless neophyte. good lord.

so, i didn't read this whole thread but what i got of it was expected. and from that, i'd advise oSu fan to be careful what you wish for in the outfall. ku ran off mark mangino; k-state the same with dana altman.

it's not mike's fault to have a blueblood down the road in football just as k-state has in hoops. firing mike gundy or coach weber doesn't fix that reality. it would only serve to give fans' illogic a degree of permanence.

PF5

Cowboy
Jan 3, 2014
Les Miles years (2-2 vs ou) ou was ranked #4 & #3 for the two OSU wins, and #1 & #2 for two losses...
In 2001 OSU beat ou 16-13...ou was 10-1 going into Bedlam and ranked #4, while OSU was 3-7...ou ended #6 in final ap poll (11-2)
In 2002 OSU beat ou 38-28...ou was 10-1 going into Bedlam and ranked #3, while OSU was 6-5...ou ended #5 in final ap poll (12-2)
In 2003 ou beat OSU 52-9...ou was 8-0 going into Bedlam and ranked #1, while OSU was 7-1, ranked #14...ou ended #3 in final ap poll, (12-2) KState beat ou in Big12 championship 35-7.
In 2004 ou beat OSU 38-35...ou was 7-0 going into Bedlam and ranked #2, while OSU was 6-1, ranked #20...ou ended #3 in final ap poll (12-1)
I guess my point is, ou was pretty damn good during these years and we managed to go 2-2...so I'm not interested in the idea that ou has so much more talent and is just better than us...

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth

i also expected afterward to find the usual suspects lamenting about gundy being some sort of unskilled, hapless neophyte. good lord.

so, i didn't read this whole thread but what i got of it was expected. and from that, i'd advise oSu fan to be careful what you wish for in the outfall. ku ran off mark mangino; k-state the same with dana altman.

it's not mike's fault to have a blueblood down the road in football just as k-state has in hoops. firing mike gundy or coach weber doesn't fix that reality. it would only serve to give fans' illogic a degree of permanence.
Why is this so clear to everyone not wearing orange or crimson?

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Les Miles years (2-2 vs ou) ou was ranked #4 & #3 for the two OSU wins, and #1 & #2 for two losses...
In 2001 OSU beat ou 16-13...ou was 10-1 going into Bedlam and ranked #4, while OSU was 3-7...ou ended #6 in final ap poll (11-2)
In 2002 OSU beat ou 38-28...ou was 10-1 going into Bedlam and ranked #3, while OSU was 6-5...ou ended #5 in final ap poll (12-2)
In 2003 ou beat OSU 52-9...ou was 8-0 going into Bedlam and ranked #1, while OSU was 7-1, ranked #14...ou ended #3 in final ap poll, (12-2) KState beat ou in Big12 championship 35-7.
In 2004 ou beat OSU 38-35...ou was 7-0 going into Bedlam and ranked #2, while OSU was 6-1, ranked #20...ou ended #3 in final ap poll (12-1)
I guess my point is, ou was pretty damn good during these years and we managed to go 2-2...so I'm not interested in the idea that ou has so much more talent and is just better than us...
His problem was he couldn't beat anyone else so he snuck up on ou...until he didn't...let er rip (score good guys 9- lousy rotten cheaters 52)...
Give me 10 wins with a loss to ou over 3 or 6 wins and a win over ou...but that's just me...evidentially. I want to beat them as much or more than any OSU fan, but I think it's going to take real college football recruiting reform in order for that to happen on a consistent level. Miles best year at OSU was 9-4...Gundy has done that or better EIGHT times. How's Les doing at KU vs LSU...program level matters man, jimmy's and joes matter. That being said, we need to win out in 2020 to make this an ok year...otherwise we under preformed.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2008

Don't be coming in here being all logical and using reasoning.. what kind of place do you think this is? :)

This is a sports forum where 90% of the posts are not about sports!! Cmon Man!

Nov 6, 2010

While I agree there are always ridiculous overreactions, some of us understand and acknowledge all of your comments and still feel like there is just a malaise about the football program right now. A few years ago, we would beat OU for a handful of recruits every year. Now, the kids we're signing don't even have an offer from OU. Gundy was dancing in the locker room after big wins, and now, just hum drum press conferences. We were blowing teams out on a regular basis, now every win is a nail biter. From 2010 to 2017 we had 6 10 plus win seasons, a conference championship and a BCS bowl win. Now, our ceiling seems to be 8 wins, and in a year we were supposed to contend for the conference, we'll be fortunate to win 7 (shortened season I know). While OU was stomping a mudhole in us Saturday, I saw Lincoln Riley fist pumping and going crazy with enthusiasm, while our sideline was devoid of emotion. To put it in coaching terminology, a lot of us feel like we need a spark. And we also know losing Gundy might be a disaster and we'd never find anyone that would come close to his success. However, we are still getting bored and cannot ignore the trajectory we're on right now. Even with all that, I don't want OSU to fire Gundy, but I do feel we need a spark from somewhere.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
While I agree there are always ridiculous overreactions, some of us understand and acknowledge all of your comments and still feel like there is just a malaise about the football program right now. A few years ago, we would beat OU for a handful of recruits every year. Now, the kids we're signing don't even have an offer from OU. Gundy was dancing in the locker room after big wins, and now, just hum drum press conferences. We were blowing teams out on a regular basis, now every win is a nail biter. From 2010 to 2017 we had 6 10 plus win seasons, a conference championship and a BCS bowl win. Now, our ceiling seems to be 8 wins, and in a year we were supposed to contend for the conference, we'll be fortunate to win 7 (shortened season I know). While OU was stomping a mudhole in us Saturday, I saw Lincoln Riley fist pumping and going crazy with enthusiasm, while our sideline was devoid of emotion. To put it in coaching terminology, a lot of us feel like we need a spark. And we also know losing Gundy might be a disaster and we'd never find anyone that would come close to his success. However, we are still getting bored and cannot ignore the trajectory we're on right now. Even with all that, I don't want OSU to fire Gundy, but I do feel we need a spark from somewhere.
No doubt we need a spark...the fire is barely a flicker, but it's still a flicker. We need some offensive life and I really thought that SI was going to bring that to the offense...alas it's ou...IF we don't show up with some fire in our belly vs Tech this week and get beat, I'm personally going to drive the fire Gundy train on Sunday...I'm in conductor training now.

These last three games will show if we have a coaching staff worth it's salt...OR if we need a new start.

Nov 16, 2013
tractor
No one is getting fired for bedlam performance only...if so only two or three schools in the conference would keep yogurt (lol, auto correct) current coaches and those two or three would lose those in a few years. While Gundy indeed sucks on Bedlam...so does the rest of the conference so the solution is to bring recruiting equity to the conference to level the playing field. Then fire Gundy all you want of he continues to lose on an equal playing field.
I respect you opines Rack, but have you looked at the past 3 games? We are 1-2, with the 1 being against a team that got blown up Saturday and no qb. This isn't just Bedlam, it 30% of the season

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I respect you opines Rack, but have you looked at the past 3 games? We are 1-2, with the 1 being against a team that got blown up Saturday and no qb. This isn't just Bedlam, it 30% of the season
Yep, gotta turn this crap around. I still thinks it's the QB position and that SI is the guy...just need to pull the trigger and skin that smoke wagon. We don't win out OR at least 2 out of 3, I'll be on the fire the staff bandwagon.

Nov 6, 2010
No doubt we need a spark...the fire is barely a flicker, but it's still a flicker. We need some offensive life and I really thought that SI was going to bring that to the offense...alas it's ou...IF we don't show up with some fire in our belly vs Tech this week and get beat, I'm personally going to drive the fire Gundy train on Sunday...I'm in conductor training now.

These last three games will show if we have a coaching staff worth it's salt...OR if we need a new start.
I can't even really lay too much blame on anyone for the loss, the Oline issues are just unbelievable, but I'd like to know the whole story behind Galloway, Bray and Farrell, as they were at least partially Gundy related. If we had those guys to start the season, I don't think we're in this funk right now. I think we need to brace ourselves for a loss to Tech. They are going to have Bowman, and there really is not much difference in talent between them and us now with Chuba hobbled and the Oline wiped out. Our defense is built to stop a team like Tech, but defense is a lot about emotion, and if we are down after getting smoked Saturday, I"m afraid we'll lose again. If Gundy can get the team up for that game and pull out a win, he will have done a good coaching job for sure.

PF5

Cowboy
Jan 3, 2014
His problem was he couldn't beat anyone else so he snuck up on ou...until he didn't...let er rip (score good guys 9- lousy rotten cheaters 52)...
Give me 10 wins with a loss to ou over 3 or 6 wins and a win over ou...but that's just me...evidentially. I want to beat them as much or more than any OSU fan, but I think it's going to take real college football recruiting reform in order for that to happen on a consistent level. Miles best year at OSU was 9-4...Gundy has done that or better EIGHT times. How's Les doing at KU vs LSU...program level matters man, jimmy's and joes matter. That being said, we need to win out in 2020 to make this an ok year...otherwise we under preformed.
so Miles "snuck up on ou" when OSU was bad...1st 2 years: 4-7 and 8-5 (wins) then 9-4 and 7-5 (losses)...so according to your statement, when they couldn't beat anybody, they were 4-7 and 8-5, so let's use 8 win season as our 'can't beat anybody else' record: Miles was 2-1 with 8 or fewer win seasons, Gundy is 1-6 with 8 or fewer win seasons...the years where you should be able to "sneak up on them".
and you want 10 win seasons? fine, Gundy's done it 6 times and final ap poll in those years: 14, 11, 20, 17, 3, 13...

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I can't even really lay too much blame on anyone for the loss, the Oline issues are just unbelievable, but I'd like to know the whole story behind Galloway, Bray and Farrell, as they were at least partially Gundy related. If we had those guys to start the season, I don't think we're in this funk right now. I think we need to brace ourselves for a loss to Tech. They are going to have Bowman, and there really is not much difference in talent between them and us now with Chuba hobbled and the Oline wiped out. Our defense is built to stop a team like Tech, but defense is a lot about emotion, and if we are down after getting smoked Saturday, I"m afraid we'll lose again. If Gundy can get the team up for that game and pull out a win, he will have done a good coaching job for sure.
Yes, this is a big game...bigger than Bedlam in terms of Gundy's career going forward. We need the team to show up pissed off...Tech just beat Baylor and have beaten WVU as well...so we can't just show up and expect it. We have to get the offense moving...and that means make the switch and stick with it. Who's your guy? You have to have a guy...admit it and move the freak on. Not that it matters, but Tech is not playing great on the road this year...haven't won on the road. Got to cement that and the Pokes really need to step it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.