This is what happens...

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 14, 2010
All you people that whine about the o-line please remember this has been a problem since Wickline left and we hired a guy that wouldn't recruit, followed by hiring Henson but not making an effort to keep Henson. We replace Henson with a guy that wasn't being retained at K-State and acting like it was a trade up. Don't blame injury, blame the decisions being made about recruiting, the staff and play schemes.

There are a whole lot of high school head coaches teaching class every day and being paid $12,000 over base that could fix this mess, what is $4,000,000 getting us?
For instance

Gundy talks about OU's 3 man front and thats why we punted.

Well.....
Then...
Simply run quarterback counter

Fake a stretch to Chuba to the right

Meanwhile Right Guard and Right tackle pull back left
Pin the shade, kick the 9 tech with the backside guard and tackle

Lb's chase the fllow on the stretch to Chuba

Sanders pulls and its literally 3 on 0

If you want to know how that looks, watch OU's first touchdown where Rattler kept the ball

This is the type of stuff that every Jr. High and High School coach does to help gain numbers in the run game

Why don't we?

All we do is run inside and outside zone

It sucks!

Maybe our line is bad

But our scheme, or lack thereof, is worse and it makes their job impossible

There is no way to defend how bad our scheme is on offense.

I really didn't think Dunn would be a puppet like this.

He had leverage when he was leaving, but hasn't cashed that in part getting the OC job

Jun 16, 2020
Atlanta
For instance

Well.....
Then...

If you want to know how that looks, watch OU's first touchdown where Rattler kept the ball

This is the type of stuff that every Jr. High and High School coach does to help gain numbers in the run game

Why don't we?

It sucks!

Maybe our line is bad

He had leverage when he was leaving, but hasn't cashed that in part getting the OC job
Dunn is learning on the job which was stupid in the first place with this team. Need an experienced OC whom had called plays before.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
For instance

Well.....
Then...

Why don't we?

It sucks!

Maybe our line is bad

Yeah, the puppet part is disappointing. That scene in "Our Time" documentary where Gundy gets on to Dunn for throwing it over the middle where he says, "Run the ball, and throw it sideways!" and Dunn responds with "Yes, sir." was equal parts revealing and disappointing. I couldn't believe they showed that interaction, but it revealed a lot about how we're operating right now (and since Monken left). Gundy is killing us with that BS.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I know the truth...the truth is OSU under Gundy is 2-14 vs ou....
We are something like 16-87 without him...so, what's your point? IF it's that he's not improved or record in this terrible game ...that's fair...but to use the game we suck in historically as your main standard to judge his performance, isn't. Jimmy Johnson nor Pat Jones got a single win in this serise. From 1946 to 1994 we won 3 games.

Nov 16, 2013
tractor
We are like 16-87 without him...what's your point? IF it's that he's not improved or record in this terrible game ...that's fair...but to use the game we suck in historically as your main standard to judge his performance, isn't.
He had puked it up this season, his lack of testicular fortitude is pitiful

Nov 25, 2009
Kedah Malaysia
Les Miles years (2-2 vs ou) ou was ranked #4 & #3 for the two OSU wins, and #1 & #2 for two losses...
In 2001 OSU beat ou 16-13...ou was 10-1 going into Bedlam and ranked #4, while OSU was 3-7...ou ended #6 in final ap poll (11-2)
In 2002 OSU beat ou 38-28...ou was 10-1 going into Bedlam and ranked #3, while OSU was 6-5...ou ended #5 in final ap poll (12-2)
In 2003 ou beat OSU 52-9...ou was 8-0 going into Bedlam and ranked #1, while OSU was 7-1, ranked #14...ou ended #3 in final ap poll, (12-2) KState beat ou in Big12 championship 35-7.
In 2004 ou beat OSU 38-35...ou was 7-0 going into Bedlam and ranked #2, while OSU was 6-1, ranked #20...ou ended #3 in final ap poll (12-1)
I guess my point is, ou was pretty damn good during these years and we managed to go 2-2...so I'm not interested in the idea that ou has so much more talent and is just better than us...
The monkey will hold onto the tree firmer the harder who shake it.

It was easier to shake the monkey off the tree while it was unprepared asleep unaware of an ambush shaking

PF5

Cowboy
Jan 3, 2014
We are something like 16-87 without him...so, what's your point? IF it's that he's not improved or record in this terrible game ...that's fair...but to use the game we suck in historically as your main standard to judge his performance, isn't. Jimmy Johnson nor Pat Jones got a single win in this serise. From 1946 to 1994 we won 3 games.
So what's your point? We should be content with losing to ou cuz we always have? I'm not just tired of losing to ou, I'm tired of our HC playing to not lose Every year, tired of not planning well enough, tired of not taking chances (4th downs, trick plays, etc), tired of his being stoic on sidelines (showing NO emotion) WHICH by the way, I used to fall for: Past me: I like how he never gets too high or too low, shows team how to handle games. Now Me: Did I just see him go ape $&!t over the band playing??? (KSU).
I feel Gundy has taken this program to it's highest of heights, but maybe this is it...we could get a new HC and we go south, or we could get someone in here that takes us to the next level...I'm more than willing to take that chance!
Oh, and btw, our win % under Gundy vs ou is 13% and 16% w/out him...ha (referencing your point of our record w/out him - which btw is 16-76-7...fyi

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2008
Corinth, TX
Yeah, the puppet part is disappointing. That scene in "Our Time" documentary where Gundy gets on to Dunn for throwing it over the middle where he says, "Run the ball, and throw it sideways!" and Dunn responds with "Yes, sir." was equal parts revealing and disappointing. I couldn't believe they showed that interaction, but it revealed a lot about how we're operating right now (and since Monken left). Gundy is killing us with that BS.
I haven't been able to watch "Our Time"

So Gundy is the primary issue with the offensive play-calling. Many of us suspected it, but "Run the ball, and throw it sideways" says it all. Even Pat Jones would throw it over the middle. To go from being one of the most dynamic offenses to "this" in only a few years.

Please no more add-on years to the contract. It can't hurt recruiting, because elite level players are not a critical component to Gundy's method of operation and we should be able to maintain the 35-45th ranked recruiting classes.

This is starting to remind me of those coaches that took their teams to the promised land (or historical levels of success for the program), then the coach was allowed to keep coaching too long. Those coaches typically can't keep up with changes to the game and/or lose their drive (scout up-coming games, make adjustments, don't work, etc).

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
So what's your point? We should be content with losing to ou cuz we always have? I'm not just tired of losing to ou, I'm tired of our HC playing to not lose Every year, tired of not planning well enough, tired of not taking chances (4th downs, trick plays, etc), tired of his being stoic on sidelines (showing NO emotion) WHICH by the way, I used to fall for: Past me: I like how he never gets too high or too low, shows team how to handle games. Now Me: Did I just see him go ape $&!t over the band playing??? (KSU).
I feel Gundy has taken this program to it's highest of heights, but maybe this is it...we could get a new HC and we go south, or we could get someone in here that takes us to the next level...I'm more than willing to take that chance!
Oh, and btw, our win % under Gundy vs ou is 13% and 16% w/out him...ha (referencing your point of our record w/out him - which btw is 16-76-7...fyi
My point is that we suck vs ou...it could get better with a coaching change but that is the tip of the iceburg if we REALLY want to compete with them long term, and isn't that what we all want? The lessor teams in the conference need to rise up and demand equal treatment in terms of things I outlined prior. OU and Texas driving the ship isn't acceptable without equal participation and some recruiting / offers / gray shirting rules that enable a more equitable talent distribution. Otherwise the current power structure will remain unchanged forever. I've been watching this for over 50 years...it hasn't changed except for a brief period of time in the 90's when ou and osu both sucked.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
We scored 16 points on tulsa at the beginning of the year when healthy. The only team that scored less on tulsa was a 1 win university of south florida team which scored 13 pts. East carolina scored 30 on tulsa. Do you think we have better players than east carolina? This offense has been trash since the moment we stepped off of the bus.
We did kick three offensive lineman off the team...got our QB1 hurt and tried to play QB2 who wasn't up to the task before going with SI who led us to the win. Tulsa's a top 25, maybe top 20 team this year. IF they beat Houston this weekend, I say they beat Cincinnati and win their conference. IMHO, they are our top win this year. It is what it is, our defense (that has carried us all year), stunk it up in Norman...and our offense was non-existent like it has been all year due to having a less than serviceable Offensive line.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Relax guys.. In a few years we’ll have another solid squad and a chance to compete.
We have a "chance" (16% historically) to win...we always have a chance to compete. The debate here is how do we improve our chances of victory. IMHO that's going to take FAR FAR more (which we should be working on) than just a coaching change. It's a lazy mans game to call for a coaches head because we suck vs ou. We need to dive deep and figure out that it's far more than just a coach and even Boones millions that will FIX that. Lazy fans want coaches heads when things don't go well...it rarely makes a difference in situations like ours vs ou or anyone vs bama, ect...You really want to have a 50% or even 25% chance to win vs Blue Bloods? Give us more than lazy coaching change ideas. A system that encourages and rewards Blue Bloods is to blame and it has to come down.

1. Too few teams in the college football playoff..ZERO chance for the "little" guy..Biased selection committee whose real goal is to maximize viewership/money and to them that means maintain the status quo of blue blood dominance.
2. Too much money in the blue blood programs that isn't shared equitably with the rest of the teams
3. Too many top prospects going to about 10 to 15 teams ONLY and everyone else has to pick up scraps
4. Sports media and conference office dominance by Blue Blood teams and their Alumni

These three are a big part of the problem and programs like ours have to be willing to rise up with others to talk about fixing or at least tweaking them IF we really want competitive equity. Otherwise we need to just shut up and take it because it's just going to continue until those things (and many others) that are stacked against teams like us, change.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2006
I think one of Gundys major issues is that he tries to act like Bedlam is another game. OU does not. They have new schemes, trick plays and extra energy coming into the game. Miles did the same. Gundy and staff need to start spending significant time making plans exclusively for OU. We're almost always the underdog - so we need to pull out all the stops. If I recall, Bill Young drew up a defensive scheme specifically for OU in 2011.

I'm okay with us behaving as though this game is our Super Bowl. In reality it is- just look at this board. More than half the time in the last decade our loss to OU eliminated us from the conference race, so it makes sense anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.