This video has caused a controversy.

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Deere Poke

I'd rather be in the woods
A/V Subscriber
Feb 13, 2014
Bixby-Bristow OK
I like you knowing without hesitation. Maybe someday I’ll have that conviction. I’m not saying that I have a bleeding heart for armed robbery just that I think the shock of it unfolding in front of me would cause hesitation.
That's where people with military training have an advantage over us citizens. I like to think I would react without hesitation cause hesitation could get me dead but I really don't know.

OSU79

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 22, 2009
Back home in God's (Green) Country
You know that’s a quote from general Mattis? I find it a funny one and I’m sure it was meant for his troops but still, it’s a classic.
Yeah, I knew it was from Mattis, but @jakeman would rather beat me outta two bucks than shoot me. If he has a plan for killing me it likely involves withholding McDonald's and watching me waste away over 79 days until I die at a svelte 248 lbs.

Deere Poke

A/V Subscriber
Feb 13, 2014
Bixby-Bristow OK
The eye for an eye scripture is part of the old testament. It's part of the Mosaic law that Christians aren't bound by. This is what Christ taught in the 5th chapter of Matthew: Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth: But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.

Christ taught to turn the other cheek, and to be harmless as doves. But he also drove the retailers out of the temple with a scourge, though there's no actual account of him harming anyone during this act.

There is no real consensus among Christians on the justification of violence. Some believe in absolute pacifism and other believe there are times when it's justified. It's something that everyone has to decide for themselves.
Luke 22:36 Jesus command after the last supper.
He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one.

Oct 30, 2007
Luke 22:36 Jesus command after the last supper.
He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one.
This is an interesting piece of scripture. Two verses later the disciples say that they have 2 swords, and Christ said that was enough. Why did he want his disciples to have 2 swords when they were preparing to face a great multitude that was armed with swords & staves?

When Christ was captured, one if the disciples cut off the ear of a priest. Christ healed the priest and taught: “Put your sword in its place, for all who take the sword will perish by the sword."

There are differing interpretations of Luke 22:36. Some believe it's about preparing for violence. Others believe the only purpose for the swords was so that Christ would have an opportunity to show his power to his captors. To each their own interpretation I guess.

Deere Poke

A/V Subscriber
Feb 13, 2014
Bixby-Bristow OK
This is an interesting piece of scripture. Two verses later the disciples say that they have 2 swords, and Christ said that was enough. Why did he want his disciples to have 2 swords when they were preparing to face a great multitude that was armed with swords & staves?

When Christ was captured, one if the disciples cut off the ear of a priest. Christ healed the priest and taught: “Put your sword in its place, for all who take the sword will perish by the sword."

There are differing interpretations of Luke 22:36. Some believe it's about preparing for violence. Others believe the only purpose for the swords was so that Christ would have an opportunity to show his power to his captors. To each their own interpretation I guess.
I take from it Christ is telling them he will no longer be there to defend them when he fulfills the prophecy and they will have to defend themselves after it is fulfilled. There is a big difference between taking up the sword to attack someone and defending ones self if attacked.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
It amazes me to see people saying things like: he should have knocked him out or shot him in the leg or disarmed him and held him at gunpoint until the police arrived, etc., etc.

Do you know what all of those things have in common? They all force the law abiding gun owner to put his life MORE at risk in order to put the criminals life LESS at risk. I'm sorry but that's a bunch of crap.

Nov 16, 2013
tractor
The eye for an eye scripture is part of the old testament. It's part of the Mosaic law that Christians aren't bound by. This is what Christ taught in the 5th chapter of Matthew: Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth: But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.

Christ taught to turn the other cheek, and to be harmless as doves. But he also drove the retailers out of the temple with a scourge, though there's no actual account of him harming anyone during this act.

There is no real consensus among Christians on the justification of violence. Some believe in absolute pacifism and other believe there are times when it's justified. It's something that everyone has to decide for themselves.
The old testament is God's word as well.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
I understand the shooting, being made in a moment of fear and uncertainty; but you lose the opportunity for the wrongdoer to achieve salvation and ask forgiveness for his trespasses and become a Christian and spread the word of the Christian gospel if he is murdered.

I suppose fear is more important than faith to some people. I understand it. I just don't agree with it.

Now this is what I’m also looking for and I gotta say that this site has way more informed members than the one I took this video from.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005

Deere Poke

A/V Subscriber
Feb 13, 2014
Bixby-Bristow OK
I understand the shooting, being made in a moment of fear and uncertainty; but you lose the opportunity for the wrongdoer to achieve salvation and ask forgiveness for his trespasses and become a Christian and spread the word of the Christian gospel if he is murdered.

I suppose fear is more important than faith to some people. I understand it. I just don't agree with it.
And on the inverse he may have taken 3+ Christians out of the world and went on livnig in sin and teaching many others to do the same. It's a lose lose situation in which you have about 1/2 a second to decide what you are going to do. There is no way to know if the guys intent is to kill all the witnesses after the cash drawer was opened. If your gonna pull a gun on a guy with a gun you better shoot cause the situation just got escalated.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
I was going to put funds into his canteen but wife doesn’t want to get involved.
Wait, why would you do that? Do you think the life sentence isn't justified?? The man shot one of the perps then while he was incapacitated, went and got another gun and shot him again killing him. This was unjustified murder. The kid was no longer a threat. He also ran outside trying to chase those that fled and shooting bullets at them that endangered bystanders and was unwarranted as they were no longer a threat running away.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
@llcoolw , why the angry face??? Angry at Ersland???
Wait, why would you do that? Do you think the life sentence isn't justified?? The man shot one of the perps then while he was incapacitated, went and got another gun and shot him again killing him. This was unjustified murder. The kid was no longer a threat. He also ran outside trying to chase those that fled and shooting bullets at them that endangered bystanders and was unwarranted as they were no longer a threat running away.
I think he got a raw deal. If Bob Macy was the DA, he never would’ve been charged. Remember the grocer who did fire at the guys who robbed him, while they were running away? Yes. He was wrong when he finished off the kid. However, that was the 7th armed robbery at that location. This guy had one his employees seriously hurt during one of them. They came to him with a gun. He didn’t go to their house with one. I don’t know why he didn’t say he considered the downed suspect still a threat because of the backpack or that the kid threatened him. (This was around the time when suspicious packages were being blown up by bomb squads)
Now going over to the guy who just got a head shot with a reloaded gun and shooting him 5 more times just doesn’t make much sense. He was mad would be an understatement. Maybe he did him a favor but we will never know. If I was a juror, he wouldn’t have gotten life. Maybe 10-15 but no way life.