Today’s media

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Mar 11, 2006
Yesterday, The NY Times changed a headline that factually reported the news because it hurt the feelings of liberals. The NY Times actually apologized because their headline was NOT biased.

Today, I have had MSNBC on in my office most of the day. There is simply no other description of today’s MSNBC except HATE speech. It is downright ugly. I watched for 30 minutes at one time and there was not one minute that Trump was not called a “liar”, or a “coward”, a “white supremacist”, or a “horrible racist”.
They have also not interviewed one person that is not from the far extreme left. It is a sad echo chamber. It is so sad how hypocritical and extreme that the media has become.

I have posted several times that I am not a Trump supporter. I am still not. But to compare the level of visceral HATE to what MSM tries to lump on Trump is beyond silly. I don’t blame anyone for the murderous rampage in El Paso or Dayton with exception of the shooters, but the media is certainly #1 for stoking fear and hate. And sadly it is not just social media. It is MSM.

Mar 11, 2006
Put Fox news on and you'll find yourself in HR.
I have four TVs in my office. I had all three major cable news channels. CNN was bad as well. They had a message at the bottom of their screen at one point that said “Tucker Carlson incorrectly states that white supremacist is a hoax”. Whether you agree with that opinion or not... Carlson’s statement was an opinion. CNN has that during their “news” program.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
I have four TVs in my office. I had all three major cable news channels. CNN was bad as well. They had a message at the bottom of their screen at one point that said “Tucker Carlson incorrectly states that white supremacist is a hoax”. Whether you agree with that opinion or not... Carlson’s statement was an opinion. CNN has that during their “news” program.
Not disagreeing with you, just saying MSNBC is fair game, Fox news is an HR risk. It's like a Obama sticker on your workspace is okay, but a Trump sticker is considered hate speech.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
The mainstream media has driven off all but the most radical gullible sheep. They have lost all credibility with anybody who has two brains cells to rub together. They have created a situation where they must cater to what their remaining viewers want to see, rather then actually reporting news, or they risk going out of business. I'm not sure they would report the truth anyway but the fact is, even if they wanted to, they can't.

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
I will not watch the TV versions of any the MSM anymore, but I still go to the websites. It is much easier to pick and choose quickly what is worth reading (not much), as well as see all the crazy stuff. I have a habit though of going to CNN and then Fox news. It is REALLY interesting to see the same stuff from opposite sides and the stuff that only one or the other will report while the other one completely ignores it.

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
1565222536848.png
With his latest blockbuster, “Unfreedom of the Press,” Mark Levin presents a unique indictment of the liberal media today

It is sweepingly comprehensive, covering the history of the American press from before the nation’s founding through modern times, yet accessibly succinct — 226 pages, excluding the acknowledgments and notes.

It is tough on the mainstream media but is anything but a ranting screed. A passionate patriot, Levin says this book’s purpose “is to jump-start a long-overdue and hopefully productive dialogue among the American citizenry on how best to deal with the complicated and complex issue of the media’s collapsing role as a bulwark of liberty, the civil society, and republicanism …”

The media’s alliance with a political party (the Democratic Party) is not the first time we’ve seen this phenomenon in our history. Levin notes that from the 1780s to the 1860s (the party-press era), most newspapers aligned themselves with a politician, a campaign or a political party. But there were at least two critically important differences.

During the party-press era, “newspapers lined up fairly evenly behind one party or the other or one candidate or the other,” so balanced competition alone served as a safeguard against manipulation of the citizenry by a monolithic media. Also, and perhaps more important, newspapers “transparently proclaimed their partisanship.”

Today’s liberal media are wholly in the tank for the Democratic Party, but they steadfastly deny it, which facilitates their ability to deceive and indoctrinate the public.

https://www.amazon.com/Unfreedom-Press-Mark-R-Levin/dp/1476773092/ref=asc_df_1476773092/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=353263677590&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12358463549912017288&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9031087&hvtargid=pla-751852011748&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=69532441125&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=353263677590&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12358463549912017288&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9031087&hvtargid=pla-751852011748

Attachments

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
View attachment 72241
With his latest blockbuster, “Unfreedom of the Press,” Mark Levin presents a unique indictment of the liberal media today

It is sweepingly comprehensive, covering the history of the American press from before the nation’s founding through modern times, yet accessibly succinct — 226 pages, excluding the acknowledgments and notes.

It is tough on the mainstream media but is anything but a ranting screed. A passionate patriot, Levin says this book’s purpose “is to jump-start a long-overdue and hopefully productive dialogue among the American citizenry on how best to deal with the complicated and complex issue of the media’s collapsing role as a bulwark of liberty, the civil society, and republicanism …”

The media’s alliance with a political party (the Democratic Party) is not the first time we’ve seen this phenomenon in our history. Levin notes that from the 1780s to the 1860s (the party-press era), most newspapers aligned themselves with a politician, a campaign or a political party. But there were at least two critically important differences.

During the party-press era, “newspapers lined up fairly evenly behind one party or the other or one candidate or the other,” so balanced competition alone served as a safeguard against manipulation of the citizenry by a monolithic media. Also, and perhaps more important, newspapers “transparently proclaimed their partisanship.”

Today’s liberal media are wholly in the tank for the Democratic Party, but they steadfastly deny it, which facilitates their ability to deceive and indoctrinate the public.

https://www.amazon.com/Unfreedom-Press-Mark-R-Levin/dp/1476773092/ref=asc_df_1476773092/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=353263677590&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12358463549912017288&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9031087&hvtargid=pla-751852011748&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=69532441125&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=353263677590&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12358463549912017288&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9031087&hvtargid=pla-751852011748
Interesting, I will add it to my reading list. Also just finished this book and it is VERY interesting in regards to the overall situation today and how we got here.

1565222902179.png

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
I will not watch the TV versions of any the MSM anymore, but I still go to the websites. It is much easier to pick and choose quickly what is worth reading (not much), as well as see all the crazy stuff. I have a habit though of going to CNN and then Fox news. It is REALLY interesting to see the same stuff from opposite sides and the stuff that only one or the other will report while the other one completely ignores it.
Told ya. It's a chore. It takes all day to do it.

It's not only what they say but now it's also what they won't say.

Just took a week off to hit Vegas and just get lost. I didn't read or watch any politics and I gotta say...life is beautiful.

Aug 16, 2012
those cable media outlets are a direct reflection of their ownership, and frankly, they are not in business to report news.
Funny how the Bond movie Tomorrow Never Dies plot was 10-15 years ahead of itself with the protagonist being a media mogul that manipulated events and how they are reported.

Jul 22, 2011
Funny how the Bond movie Tomorrow Never Dies plot was 10-15 years ahead of itself with the protagonist being a media mogul that manipulated events and how they are reported.
I recently watched the movie “Network” for the first time. I found myself disinterested half way through. The concept of a news conglomerate allowing a mentally unstable man to scream and rant solely for ratings while they embed themselves with communist revolutionaries just seemed so...
quaint and outdated.

Last edited:

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Youtube is always pushing "breaking news" on their site and a majority of those videos are from CNN which of course I refuse to watch. I hit the X to remove the breaking news group from my page and they say OK, we won't show you this again. But they always do. Every time there's a big story, like the shootings, they plaster that breaking news category back on my front page right near the top.....desperate to push a little propaganda. I hit the remove button and again they say OK we won't show you this again. BS.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Interestingly on the msn websites I've noticed that even when the DOW has a stellar day it's no longer on the front page (update, so far today it's still on their front page at least), but when it has a bad day it's not only front and center but there are multiple stories highlighting the fact it had a bad day. The intensity of the media's bile for the current President is really an interesting study in history. It's as if they think we are all fools and don't see their bias.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2012
Youtube is always pushing "breaking news" on their site and a majority of those videos are from CNN which of course I refuse to watch. I hit the X to remove the breaking news group from my page and they say OK, we won't show you this again. But they always do. Every time there's a big story, like the shootings, they plaster that breaking news category back on my front page right near the top.....desperate to push a little propaganda. I hit the remove button and again they say OK we won't show you this again. BS.
Yeah, these types of amalgamation sites pretend to allow you to customize what feeds they present, but no matter what you delete, they always show up

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Exactly. Just look at what the media has been able to convince millions of people about Trump.

That he's a racist even though right up until he switched from Democrat to Republican (just a few years ago), he was praised by the NAACP.
That he's homophobic even though he waved a rainbow flag DURING his presidential campaign.
That he's a monster on illegal immigrants even though Obama deported more people and the kids in cages pictures are from when Obama was in office.
That he is anti-Semitic even though he is allowing his grandchildren to be raised in Jewish traditions.
That he is a Russian agent even though he has actually been tougher on Russia than his predecessor.

When you look at the narrative they've managed to make people believe, what does that say about the intelligence of this country and our future. Not much.

StillwaterTownie

Federal Marshal
Jun 18, 2010
Where else but Stillwater
Exactly. Just look at what the media has been able to convince millions of people about Trump.

That he's a racist even though right up until he switched from Democrat to Republican (just a few years ago), he was praised by the NAACP.
That he's homophobic even though he waved a rainbow flag DURING his presidential campaign.
That he's a monster on illegal immigrants even though Obama deported more people and the kids in cages pictures are from when Obama was in office.
That he is anti-Semitic even though he is allowing his grandchildren to be raised in Jewish traditions.
That he is a Russian agent even though he has actually been tougher on Russia than his predecessor.

When you look at the narrative they've managed to make people believe, what does that say about the intelligence of this country and our future. Not much.
Big Deal. Only a tiny minority of people pay regular attention to the national news media. But it might as well seem to you that at least 200 million people pay attention to it every day.

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
Big Deal. Only a tiny minority of people pay regular attention to the national news media. But it might as well seem to you that at least 200 million people pay attention to it every day.
once again Townie makes up another lie out of thin air.... absolutely pathetic

TV news viewership appears to be slightly more common, with 37% watching often compared to 33% getting news from a website or app frequently.

Interestingly enough, more people watch local TV news (64%) than watch cable TV news (53%) or national evening network TV news (50%). This is one area in which pay-TV continues to excel, as most subscribers are very satisfied with their ability to watch local TV news and consider local programming a key differentiator for pay-TV relative to streaming services.

TV Remains the Preferred Format
Although digital rivals TV for news consumption, TV comes on top for Americans were they to choose one platform. Some 44% prefer TV for getting the news, compared to 34% who prefer to get it online, 14% on the radio, and 7% via print.
https://www.marketingcharts.com/industries/media-and-entertainment-106770