1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Torn ACL...advice/stories?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MicroPoke, Apr 10, 2009.

1. MicroPoke

MicroPoke Cowboy

Where: YMCA
    When: 7:30'ish last Wednesday night
    What it felt like: :x

I was in the midst of what I'm sure was going to be a spectacular dribble drive jump shot, when my knee exploded. I have been gimping around ever since. My MRI results show a complete ACL tear with meniscal tearing, and a sprained MCL. I know surgery is in my future, but which graft to choose from, is a whole other demon. The cadaver replacement however, I'm leaving on the back burner for now...I'm leaning towards the hamstring ligament rather than the patellar. I have some time before the surgery is scheduled due to swelling, so I am trying to get the much info. and past experiences from others as possible. Input is appreciated.

Thanks.

2. COWBOY86ORANGE

COWBOY86ORANGE Deputy

I partially tore both my acl and pcl playing football. I opted not to have surgery to make a quicker recovery for football, seeing as yours is fully torn, thats not an option. My advice to you: MILK IT FOR EVERYTHING ITS WORTH. As far as the pain, it never really totally goes away, when its cold out, its going to hurt. Be careful for the next 4-8 months, you will be going up stairs or something and catch your foot and it will pull your leg awkwardly, it will hurt real bad. But even with 2 partial tears I am still fully active 4 yrs later, the doc just said ill be doing something some day and complete the tear, then ill be in your shoes asking you for advice.

3. daspree

daspree Cowboy A/V Subscriber

Who will be doing the surgery? If you have not seen an orthopedic surgeon may I suggest Tony Cruise. He has done all of my surgeries, first class all the way.

Secondly I don't have a real good grasp as to what the pluses and minuses are for a hamstring ligament. Mine were patellar tendons. The pain is there. And kneeling on hard surfaces for me is not really possible. However the healing was sure and the process pretty quick. I have full use of both knees. And the strength you regain is directly proportional to the effort you put in to rehab.

I was back playing basketball competitively by 5 months. Though six is the norm I think.

My second surgery was more complex and the healing took longer as I had impact fractures plus MCL and LCL tears to go along with the ACL. However I was back at it after 6 months.

If you have a desire to play sports quickly I would recommend the patellar surgery.

If you have any more questions you can PM me. I have been through this many times.

EDIT* If you have chosen a surgeon already he will probably have a preferred method. I would tend to go with the method that he is most comfortable with. If you aren't comfortable with his method you might wish to find a new surgeon.

4. therico

therico Full JAXU Mode A/V Subscriber

#1 Left Knee (January 2005)- Playing pick-up basketball with some friends at GIA, one of the guys was about to shoot a layup for the win and I blocked his shot and landed on his foot. I just felt a rip. I was laying on the court for a bit and got up and walked away. My friends convinced me to go to the ER which was pointless because I knew I didn't break any bones and all they do is X-ray. They said it was probably a sprain and gave me some meds. The next morning I woke up in serious pain but I walked to class. While I was walking my knee would hyperextend and displace a little bit and I just thought that was weird. I played golf in pain, walked downstairs with a grip on the handrail, couldn't run very well. This went on for a few months and finally in April I said this has to stop, I saw one of the trainers and in 2 seconds he told me I no longer had an ACL and I had surgery the next week. Patella tendon graft, not a good idea. I still can't make my left leg completely straight. (Dr. Couch)

#2 Right Knee (October 2006) Playing IM football and playing QB. Rolling right, throw a pass, plant my right leg right into a hole and POW (think Jason White). That time I knew it when it happened. It was one of those shotgun sounds. The ref was about 10 yard behind me and he said he almost threw up when he heard it and saw it. One month of pre-op therapy and then Hamstring graft surgery. Much Much better!! (Dr. Pascale)

I am now 2 weeks shy of 25 and I am still playing sports (basketball, football, golf, baseball, softball, with just a little bit of fear). I am in pretty good shape now and have very strong legs. That helps with the fear of it happening again.

5. brianwr

brianwr Cleared direct Dikas A/V Subscriber

Have a partially torn meniscus in my right knee, not entirely sure how it happened, because I really had a bunch of "OWW! S**T!" moments whilst playing sports or horsing around. I've had a couple of times where the ligament displaces a little bit, and I'm done walking for two days while the swelling goes down. Mine's totally fine now, for the most part, but I'm always extra careful when I stand up from a crouched position, and I always wear a knee brace when I ski or snowboard, and I haven't had any problems in about a year and a half now, thank God.

6. State

State Cold Ass Honkey A/V Subscriber

Micro, sorry to hear that. I tore my snow skiing about 8 years ago. I was in the Navy and had a great surgeon. I went with the patella tendon option and have no real complaints. The surgery is quick- I don't even remember if I stayed over night. Get the surgery as soon as they'll let you. What can really affect your recovery afterward is how much your muscles atrophy now while you're not really using them, because they will absolutely shut down after the surgery. I had electroshock therapy to help me learn to flex them again, but ultimately it completely healed. I usually say I'm at 97% because after a long run I can tell a difference and sometimes need to ice it. And like daspree mentioned kneeling on hard surfaces is pretty uncomfortable.

My best advice though is to have someone who really likes you to help take care of you afterward. I was in Newport, RI, without any real help and having to drive a stick shift.

Oh, and massage your scar! If it gets stuck getting it unstuck hurts like a bitch. Let me know if you want more details/advice.

More to the story...snow skiing at Killington, last run on last day there and I was just doing easy turns, working on form a little. And for whatever reason, one ski didn't turn when it was supposed to. It hurt like hell and I was holding onto my leg sliding down the hill. I sat there a minute and this cute girl stopped and asked if I was ok. I was flirting and the pain was gone so I got up and told her I was ok. I started to ski again and wham! I was on the ground- the knee just didn't work. She got ski patrol and I was pulled down in one of those crash carts.

7. MicroPoke

MicroPoke Cowboy

Thanks everyone! I have a consultation this Monday with Dr. Moses in Norman, and I will ask many, many questions. I have already gone through an 8 month rehabilitation with a partially torm MCL (snowboarding) back in '08, which sucked, but It sounds like both grafts have their +'s and -'s, and recovery will depend on the healing of the individual and PT. I am 28 extreamely active, and just want to get back to my routine ASAP. But at least it sounds like everyone got through it, and back on track eventually. Pain pills and my lady taking care of me...should be all good. Thanks.

8. MicroPoke

MicroPoke Cowboy

I can totally sympathize...I was at the top of Breckenridge last year and hit a jump on my snowboard, and landed on my face/head and my nose stuck in the snow, as my body rolled...snap, my MCL tore. I waited 30 minutes on top of the Mt. and finally strapped back in stupidly and very slowly made it down. End 'O' Vacation for me. I should have been taken down, my knee was totally F'd up after that. Thanks for the input.

9. MicroPoke

MicroPoke Cowboy

Nice! Ive actually heard of this cat, and I live South OKC as well. I will research him definitely. Thanks for the info on patellar grafts. I will hit you up after I am consulted Mon. of my options.

10. MicroPoke

MicroPoke Cowboy

Glad your back at it again. I'm also very active, so it's nice to hear this. Probably my biggest fear is not being able to play b-ball again. I appreciate the info on the Hammy graft...good to know.

11. MicroPoke

MicroPoke Cowboy

I hear you! I assume my Doc mis-diagnosed my partially torn MCL last year...he should have ordered an MRI (my fault for not asking for one), when in fact I probably partially tore my ACL. Then like I said, last Wed. I wasn't even getting too crazy on the court, and SNAP...holy piss it hurt. But what can you do? I'm still going to be out there doin my thing whenever I get the chance. Hope you can avoid this, Sounds like after 4 yrs your doin good and won't have to ever ask.

12. RxCowboy

RxCowboy Has no Rx for his orange obsession. A/V Subscriber

My one year of college football, snapped my mcl, tore my acl, and tore meniscus. This was back in the day before MRI. The surgeon didn't know the full extent of the injury until he had it opened up. It hurts every freaking day, constantly, and there isn't much I can do to relieve it. There's a total knee in my future. I hope your future is better.

13. Rob B.

Rob B. Twizzard of Oz A/V Subscriber

I must be the knee luckiest dude EVER, 13 years of organized football, 9 in basketball and baseball, and never have I had so much as a twinge of pain in either knee. Knockin on wood.;)

Now the 3 shoulder surgeries 2 left, 1 right, have rendered me in pain there whenever the barometer changes.:x

14. steross

steross OSU fan in need of hyper loop A/V Subscriber

The terrible triad.......

15. PutzoPoke

PutzoPoke Cowboy

Had the patella replacement in '92, left with an 8" scar over the knee and down the shin.

Had the cadaver replacement in '07 on the other knee. Three scope incisions and a 4th incision, 1" long. I think the only concern with the cadaver is "rejection" by your body.

16. daspree

daspree Cowboy A/V Subscriber

They have come along way since 92. My patellar replacement incisions look much like your cadaver replacement.

17. pokestate2007

pokestate2007 Cowboy A/V Subscriber

Micro......if you can get away with it, go for the cadaver ligament. I've had both a hamstring and cadaver and the hamstring was by FAR the worst one to go with. The recovery time was longer, big incision to harvest the ligament......just not a good way to go. I was on crutches for a long time (about a month or so) and I was 18 when I had the surgery

The cadaver ligament happened a few years later when I was 22. Had the surgery on thursday and was walking on it by the next monday (significant limp but was walking nonetheless). Recovery time was much shorter and only a couple of incisions. Also, I've been very active playing sports and working out with no trouble at all with either graft.

Also, there is a very low incidence of graft rejection but with all allografts there is always a risk.

18. TypeOrangePositive

TypeOrangePositive Cowboy

I tore my ACL a few years ago along with both the medial and lateral meniscuis. Happened at intramural football. They had some "trainer" come look at it while I was lying out there. It was ridiculous. The guy twisted and contorted my knee in these crazy a$$ positions only to determine (after the agony of his "tests) that I must have only strained something...

I gimped around campus for about a week or two before getting a second opinion. Sure enough, it was torn. The guy who performed my surgery - who did a great job- just did a very simple pain free test (of course I got the MRI later that day). That furthered my opinion that the intramural trainer knew absolutely nothing.

I had the hamstring ligament done. I did have to stay on crutches for a while, but it wasn't that terrible. My incisions are minimal - you have to really look to find something.

Some advice for you...see if your doctor can hook you up with a cold water compress machine (i'm sure thats not the technical term). My doctor loaned a machine to me - or maybe insurance paid for it and I never knew it - ...you fill the box full of ice water and wrap this thing around your leg and it inflates with ice cold water and compresses on your leg. Let me tell you, that thing was awesome for the 2 weeks or so I got to use it. If you can't get that, I have another recommendation for you. Go to the grocery store and buy one of those polska kielbasa sausages in the shape of a big horseshoe. Throw that puppy in the freezer and it fits perfectly around the kneecap. I used and re-used that a lot...didn't eat it of course.

Good luck. I am pretty much pain free and fully recovered now. The only trouble I have now is some exercises and long runs can make the knee a little sore, but I can do pretty much anything I want to.

19. FossilFuelMan

FossilFuelMan Cowboy

mens or co-rec? i cant remember if i was responsible for that or not. either way, i'll still bring you a heineken mini-keg for the tailgate to make amends.

20. TypeOrangePositive

TypeOrangePositive Cowboy

I purposely did not state whether it was Men's or Co-Rec but since you must know...it was Co-Rec...thanks for bringing that up! What can I say, women are vicious.

You weren't there. You would have remembered my feats of strength.