Trade, sell, or upgrade...

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

GodsPeace

Joshua 1:9
Aug 20, 2004
Stillwater
So, I'm considering shifting away from my Springfield Armory XD .40 S&W to a 9mm.

I would love to keep it, but for costs, I may need to sell or trade it. I never really dealt with this before so I could use a bit of help.

Primarily my stuff is for home defense and target practice. I would carry the right gun. Currently, the XD isn't the most practical, but I can pull it off.

That said, I can't freaking decide. I am a big fan of Springfield Armory guns. I'm left-handed, and almost all of them are ambidextrous with mag drop and some for the slide release as well.

Not even totally sure what I am asking here.

Feb 6, 2007
Ardmore, Ok.
Bought an XDM 9mm for my ex-wife some years ago. Personally, the pistol never moved my barometer. Too boxy and I just don't like the grip safety; another place of ingress for dirt, etc.

I am biased, full disclosure, but I have three CZs (75-D PCR, 75-B, and P-10C), all 9mm, a Kahr PM9, a Kahr P380, and a Colt Government 380.

I like to carry the Kahrs (single stack and small profile), especially during warm weather when you wear only the basic necessities, but I loooooooooove the reliability and ergonomics of the CZs. Try some of the CZs. I promise you will love the ergonomics. The CZ 75 platform is the most copied handgun in the world.

GodsPeace

Aug 20, 2004
Stillwater
Bought an XDM 9mm for my ex-wife some years ago. Personally, the pistol never moved my barometer. Too boxy and I just don't like the grip safety; another place of ingress for dirt, etc.

I am biased, full disclosure, but I have three CZs (75-D PCR, 75-B, and P-10C), all 9mm, a Kahr PM9, a Kahr P380, and a Colt Government 380.

I like to carry the Kahrs (single stack and small profile), especially during warm weather when you wear only the basic necessities, but I loooooooooove the reliability and ergonomics of the CZs. Try some of the CZs. I promise you will love the ergonomics. The CZ 75 platform is the most copied handgun in the world.
I've shot Kahr's before. I actually love the handle safety on my XD. I get the concern, but I've never heard of them failing either. My .40 shoots well and feels great in my hand.

Bias alert, I love the SA XD(M) stuff in general. It wasn't my first gun, but it was the 1st one I bought with any real research or care factor. My goal is to keep my .40 and just add to the collection but moving toward 9mm.

My two favorite guns I've been looking at are...

The Hellcat cause I could easily carry it and it's 11+1 in one mag and 13+1 in the secondary. I'd probably carry the larger mag.

The other is one of the 4.5" Barrel 9mm with ambidextrous slide release.

Feb 6, 2007
Ardmore, Ok.
I've shot Kahr's before. I actually love the handle safety on my XD. I get the concern, but I've never heard of them failing either. My .40 shoots well and feels great in my hand.

Bias alert, I love the SA XD(M) stuff in general. It wasn't my first gun, but it was the 1st one I bought with any real research or care factor. My goal is to keep my .40 and just add to the collection but moving toward 9mm.

My two favorite guns I've been looking at are...

The Hellcat cause I could easily carry it and it's 11+1 in one mag and 13+1 in the secondary. I'd probably carry the larger mag.

The other is one of the 4.5" Barrel 9mm with ambidextrous slide release.
I like that they dropped the grip safety from the Hellcat. Like the fiber optic option, but have never had one on a CC pistol.

GodsPeace

Aug 20, 2004
Stillwater
I like that they dropped the grip safety from the Hellcat. Like the fiber optic option, but have never had one on a CC pistol.
Honestly, I've never really CC. I've done it a couple times over the years, but I'm feeling more and more compelling in that direction. Actually, the one video I saw complaining about the Hellcat was because the front site just fell off, and then did so again after Springfield replaced the guys gun. Just slipped out of the dove tail. Never seen it like that anywhere else, but your comment.

My brother-in-law is wanting a Glock 43x.

I'm a fan of Springfield, but practically I don't have that much experience. I just really need to do a ton of shooting and with as many sizes as I can.

Feb 6, 2007
Ardmore, Ok.
Honestly, I've never really CC. I've done it a couple times over the years, but I'm feeling more and more compelling in that direction. Actually, the one video I saw complaining about the Hellcat was because the front site just fell off, and then did so again after Springfield replaced the guys gun. Just slipped out of the dove tail. Never seen it like that anywhere else, but your comment.

My brother-in-law is wanting a Glock 43x.

I'm a fan of Springfield, but practically I don't have that much experience. I just really need to do a ton of shooting and with as many sizes as I can.
I meant red dot sight, rather than "fiber optic" sight. I have combo tritium/fiber optic sights on some of my pistols and love them, but don't have any red dot sights. Don't know how they are for CC.

I love the size of my Kahrs for CC, but the Hellcat has a similar footprint; same length, comparable width, but 1" longer and ~2.5 oz. heavier. However, given that it is essentially twice the mag capacity . . . I might look at the Hellcat. Always need an excuse for another firearm.

GodsPeace

Aug 20, 2004
Stillwater
I meant red dot sight, rather than "fiber optic" sight. I have combo tritium/fiber optic sights on some of my pistols and love them, but don't have any red dot sights. Don't know how they are for CC.

I love the size of my Kahrs for CC, but the Hellcat has a similar footprint; same length, comparable width, but 1" longer and ~2.5 oz. heavier. However, given that it is essentially twice the mag capacity . . . I might look at the Hellcat. Always need an excuse for another firearm.
Hellcat is Springfield's answer to the Sig P365, with the same exact size, but +1 capacity. It's actually slightly shorter with the flush mag that is 11+1.

I'm such a newbie, though, I won't pretend to be an authority whatsoever. Honestly, I just need to be able to go shoot. I'd love to shoot my .40 for a couple of hours right now lol.

I also was just looking at the IWI Masada, for no other reason than it is Israeli made and less than $500 on Buds.

Hellcat is $549 with OSP and $519 without. The 9mm XDM Elite, which I also love, is $495. I'm fighting the urge right now cause I need to wait, but I don't want to wait.

Feb 6, 2007
Ardmore, Ok.
Hellcat is Springfield's answer to the Sig P365, with the same exact size, but +1 capacity. It's actually slightly shorter with the flush mag that is 11+1.

I'm such a newbie, though, I won't pretend to be an authority whatsoever. Honestly, I just need to be able to go shoot. I'd love to shoot my .40 for a couple of hours right now lol.

I also was just looking at the IWI Masada, for no other reason than it is Israeli made and less than $500 on Buds.

Hellcat is $549 with OSP and $519 without. The 9mm XDM Elite, which I also love, is $495. I'm fighting the urge right now cause I need to wait, but I don't want to wait.
If this helps any: https://gununiversity.com/hellcat-vs-p365/

GodsPeace

Aug 20, 2004
Stillwater
I've watched a bunch of comps between them on Youtube. It seems to come down to preference honestly. I think that's the case with most guns anyway. I've never shot a Sig, so I can't truly say. I liked my .40 over the Kahr and Glock my Brother-in-law brought. The Kahr was slick though. HIs malfunctioned a few times. Honestly don't remember there being a significant difference between the Glock and my XD, both were .40.

jakeman

Unhinged Idiot
A/V Subscriber
Apr 4, 2005
Limbo
So, I'm considering shifting away from my Springfield Armory XD .40 S&W to a 9mm.

I would love to keep it, but for costs, I may need to sell or trade it. I never really dealt with this before so I could use a bit of help.

Primarily my stuff is for home defense and target practice. I would carry the right gun. Currently, the XD isn't the most practical, but I can pull it off.

That said, I can't freaking decide. I am a big fan of Springfield Armory guns. I'm left-handed, and almost all of them are ambidextrous with mag drop and some for the slide release as well.

Not even totally sure what I am asking here.
Unless you "hate" it.

Keep it.

Buy a new one.

Can't afford it? Save a for a little while.

If you'll practice and train, you don't need a safety with a striker fired pistol. Lots & lots & lots of them don't have a safety. I have some of both, and I prefer no safety.

If I was left handed the ambidextrous mag drop would be a must.

Feb 6, 2007
Ardmore, Ok.
Unless you "hate" it.

Keep it.

Buy a new one.

If you'll practice and train, you don't need a safety with a striker fired pistol. Lots & lots & lots of them don't have a safety. I have some of both, and I prefer no safety.

Of all my pistols, hammer-fired and striker-fired alike, only one (Colt Gov't. .380 ACP) has an external safety and it was a gift. Despise them. Even my hammer-fired pistols are all de-cockers.

GodsPeace

Aug 20, 2004
Stillwater
Unless you "hate" it.

Keep it.

Buy a new one.

I'm keeping my .40. I'm currently in a holding pattern. Pretty much know what I want, but gotta get the cash together to get what I want.

Well

Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Dec 17, 2009
I'm keeping my .40. I'm currently in a holding pattern. Pretty much know what I want, but gotta get the cash together to get what I want.
Late to this party. I personally carry a Ruger LCP 380. and I have a NAA 22 LR sitting at the office as a backup gun. Used to carry a Glock 19, but way too heavy for me. People poopoo a 22 LR but it comes down to personal comfort and ability to shoot the caliber. My hands and wrists aren't what they used to be, so smaller calibers work. Once you decide on a caliber, learn to re-load. Lots of fun and money saving. Getting into reloading can be pricey, but the cheaper stuff works just fine. I've used Lee challenger press and products for years and it produces ammo that goes bang.
Curious what you landed on. Do tell.

GodsPeace

Aug 20, 2004
Stillwater
Late to this party. I personally carry a Ruger LCP 380. and I have a NAA 22 LR sitting at the office as a backup gun. Used to carry a Glock 19, but way too heavy for me. People poopoo a 22 LR but it comes down to personal comfort and ability to shoot the caliber. My hands and wrists aren't what they used to be, so smaller calibers work. Once you decide on a caliber, learn to re-load. Lots of fun and money saving. Getting into reloading can be pricey, but the cheaper stuff works just fine. I've used Lee challenger press and products for years and it produces ammo that goes bang.
Curious what you landed on. Do tell.
I'm pretty well set on carrying a Hellcat. I like the capacity, and I believe I can comfortably and easily carry it. I've looked at a lot and held a lot. I don't really have access to be able to fire them all. I doubt I'll do the OSP for carrying purposes, but it's a fun little side perk to get to use and try out.