Trump commutes Stone sentence

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

okstate987

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 17, 2009
Somewhere

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
I want to be clear--I am more more than ok with the majority of commutations and pardons done by presidents. There should be less people imprisoned in general. The difference is that the Roger Stone pardon is a political one: a sign that if you lie to protect me (Trump), I will pardon you. I know you probably don't agree with me on the Russia situation, but even in its best case scenario, Roger Stone played a similar role as Scooter Libby did in the Bush years.

I don't think that any president should be able to pardon people who break the law for their benefit or are from their own campaign, cabinet or team. That is a clear conflict of interest.
You think Obama commuting Chelsea Manning wasn't political? I would wager that at least some of his commuted sentences and pardons were politically motivated...The same with Bush, same with Clinton, same with Bush, etc. etc. etc. So I say again, if you have a problem with it, then the time to demand a change was long before Trump took office (maybe you did, I don't know).

I will add that I agree with you that presidents should generally not be able to pardon people who directly benefit them (or even indirectly benefit them). In this case I make an exception due to the seriousness of the federal overreach in starting the investigation in the first place. That was completely politically motivated as well and set a far more dangerous precedent.

okstate987

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 17, 2009
Somewhere
You think Obama commuting Chelsea Manning wasn't political? I would wager that at least some of his commuted sentences and pardons were politically motivated...The same with Bush, same with Clinton, same with Bush, etc. etc. etc. So I say again, if you have a problem with it, then the time to demand a change was long before Trump took office (maybe you did, I don't know).

I will add that I agree with you that presidents should generally not be able to pardon people who directly benefit them (or even indirectly benefit them). In this case I make an exception due to the seriousness of the federal overreach in starting the investigation in the first place. That was completely politically motivated as well and set a far more dangerous precedent.
I have never been a fan of political pardons, but especially when it is directly beneficial to the president that was pardoning them. Any way that we cut things, Roger Stone lied and broke the law and should serve the time. Hillary did too, and we saw what didn't happen, but should have happened there.

Chelsea Manning's pardon was politicized, but her actions didn't benefit Obama or his administration at all.

Dec 18, 2019
Central Oklahoma
I have never been a fan of political pardons, but especially when it is directly beneficial to the president that was pardoning them. Any way that we cut things, Roger Stone lied and broke the law and should serve the time. Hillary did too, and we saw what didn't happen, but should have happened there.

Chelsea Manning's pardon was politicized, but her actions didn't benefit Obama or his administration at all.
I’m curious on how this pardon benefits Trump?

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
Depends how you look at it. I could say that any defense of the Russia collusion investigation is just another indication of how the left doesn't care about the ethics of the action or how it furthered the slide toward authoritarianism. Commuting the sentence of someone obstructing an investigation that never should have happened is not near as much a slide toward authoritarianism as the investigation itself was.

Besides, commuting sentences is pretty routine by now, if you think it's a sign of authoritarianism then the time to be outraged by it and act happened long before Trump became president.
Pretty much every president has done it. Heck Obama set a record, including at least one person who lied to the FBI during an investigation (just like Stone), and who could forget Chelsea Manning.
To be fair, the Republicans complained about it quite a bit with Obama so there's hypocrisy on both sides

View attachment 83326
I want to be clear--I am more more than ok with the majority of commutations and pardons done by presidents. There should be less people imprisoned in general. The difference is that the Roger Stone pardon is a political one: a sign that if you lie to protect me (Trump), I will pardon you. I know you probably don't agree with me on the Russia situation, but even in its best case scenario, Roger Stone played a similar role as Scooter Libby did in the Bush years.

I don't think that any president should be able to pardon people who break the law for their benefit or are from their own campaign, cabinet or team. That is a clear conflict of interest.
So, the entire Russia deal was legit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bleedinorange

Federal Marshal
Jan 11, 2010
In Pokey's head
I’m curious on how this pardon benefits Trump?
Lol, it doesn't. It just gives cover to the most racist President elected in modern times. One who gave us BLM and antifa. He's just a typical lefty loon a$$ kissing partisan who's competing with olderstool for the most ignorant poster on OP. Everything black jesus did was good. Everything orange man does is bad. Typical argument of the beaten. Trump trounces captain Alzheimers in November.

okstate987

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 17, 2009
Somewhere
Lol, it doesn't. It just gives cover to the most racist President elected in modern times. One who gave us BLM and antifa. He's just a typical lefty loon a$$ kissing partisan who's competing with olderstool for the most ignorant poster on OP. Everything black jesus did was good. Everything orange man does is bad. Typical argument of the beaten. Trump trounces captain Alzheimers in November.
I think you are pre-alzheimers along with Biden. You guys should start a club. Go back and look at my posts from a few years back when the drone king was president. I was pretty clear in my distaste for him and I thought he was a bad president, worse than Bush. Then someone came along and "trumped" them both in that regard.

I hope you get the memory care you need very soon.