Tulsa Post Game Thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
False, Cullen Wick and Tyraise Stevenson aren't NFL prospects....hell they aren't on NFL radars...Zaven Collins on the other hand, is their best player on defense and could play in the SEC. They did have a DE last year drafted in Trevis Gipson who played DE. No one on that DL was Big XII caliber
I was thinking Gipson was still on the team...must have missed that. We have to shore up the Oline or we are in for a world of hurt...I think the coach is good but the way we practice doesn’t prepare us well for first games. We have to get better FAST for WVU who is off a great performance against a REAllY BAD team.

Last edited:

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Freshman throws out routes and bubble screens gets rid of it quick vs WVU. Get rid of the ball fast, Run and block, and we’ll be fine. I honestly think we have a gamer...time will tell. Gotta protect...can’t get any more injuries. Oline is a huge key this year.

wrenhal

Banned
Banned
Aug 11, 2011
How can you not figure out who your backup QB should be?

would have liked to have seen more Illingworth just to see how he performed
Remember when Brandon Weeden was the third string QB behind Alex Cate?

I’m fairly certain Gundy fills out the depth chart by pulling names out of a hat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I bet Gundy fills out the depth chart based on what the position coaches tell him. And in this situation the information led to Bullock being number two because Illingworth had sat out for two weeks.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I bet Gundy fills out the depth chart based on what the position coaches tell him. And in this situation the information led to Bullock being number two because Illingworth had sat out for two weeks.

The depth charts I was seeing had the two of them being either/or...but I could see how they would not be either/or under non-covid tracing quarantine circumstances. the freshmen is clearly better.

1. When was the last season that the O-line didn't struggle? Why can't we fix this? Same lack of depth for years.
2. Gundy has several blind spots, and quarterback selection is among the most obvious. Is he incapable of learning from past mistakes? It seems so.
3. I actually miss Yurcich. I never thought that I'd say that.
4. I have no idea what Discord is, but it certainly seems aptly named.
5. LD Brown looked a lot better than Chuba and he comes without the annoying diva attitude. Give him the ball!

okstate987

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 17, 2009
Somewhere
1. When was the last season that the O-line didn't struggle? Why can't we fix this? Same lack of depth for years.
2. Gundy has several blind spots, and quarterback selection is among the most obvious. Is he incapable of learning from past mistakes? It seems so.
5. LD Brown looked a lot better than Chuba and he comes without the annoying diva attitude. Give him the ball!
O line was fixed. Then Galloway retired, and we had to kick Bray and Farrell off the team. 2 starters and one backup gone. Throw in 3 in game injuries, and we are literally down 6 olinemen from the off season. Think about that for a second.

O line was fixed. Then Galloway retired, and we had to kick Bray and Farrell off the team. 2 starters and one backup gone. Throw in 3 in game injuries, and we are literally down 6 olinemen from the off season. Think about that for a second.
It‘s a similar story each season - injuries, loss of players. Other programs face the same issues without consistent poor performance from one key group.

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
LD Brown performance is the equivalent of a blind squirrel finding a nut. When he can show he can replicate that kind of performance consistently, maybe he gets more touches. We ain’t winning a championship without Hubbard touting the rock,

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
I was thinking Gipson was still on the team...must have missed that. We have to shore up the Oline or we are in for a world of hurt...I think the coach is good but the way we practice doesn’t prepare us well for first games. We have to get better FAST for WVU who is off a great performance against a REAllY BAD team.
Agree...I don’t think how we practice played a role on how we played. I mean they practiced 7 weeks straight with no hiccups. You add 4 scrimmages and what more can you ask? IMO this is a result of attrition, lack of experience, and lack of talent.

You lost a 2 year starter at LT in Dylan Galloway, a 4 year starter in Marcus Keyes at LG, a 3 year starter in Johnny Wilson at center, your starting RG Bryce Bray was dismissed, and potentially starter RT in Jacob Farrell was dismissed. You return NFL prospects in Tevin Jenkins and Josh Sills, but the rest are unknowns. Ry Schneider has some experience in spot duty, and the entire right side is fairly new with Hunter Anthony making 2 starts last season.

Reality is this group is no where close to last years group in terms of experience and talent...but doesn't mean they can improve. This is where a bye week would've been helpful but Tulsa made sure that didn't happened. Get past WVU and we can Kansas the following week, and then a bye week. By then Sanders could be healed up to play Baylor...just simply got to find a way to weather the storm.

wrenhal

Banned
Banned
Aug 11, 2011
https://twitter.com/Gopokesvoice/status/1307415473223536640?s=19

Something I haven't seen anything on, if Illingworth was quarantined, doesn't it seem pretty likely that other QBs were quarantined and Gundy just didn't say anything? Don't they practice and hang out together? Even with Sanders, things seemed off and slow, even relative to last year.
Not necessarily. They could be keeping them separated from each other, that way all the qb's aren't quarantined at the same time.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Having our defense will help a ton...but we have to get the offense, mostly the Oline going...

I actually think Gundy may need to ask his son if he wants on the team so we have at least one other decent QB on the roster. He's just a student now, but the plan is for him to walk on next year..I think. I'm not sure since everyone is a redshirt this year, how that would effect ability to redshirt next year?

Last edited:

wrenhal

Banned
Banned
Aug 11, 2011
Having our defense will help a ton...but we have to get the offense, mostly the Oline going...

I actually think Gundy may need to ask his son if he wants on the team so we have at least one other decent QB on the roster. He's just a student now, but the plan is for him to walk on next year..I think. I'm not sure since everyone is a redshirt this year, how that would effect ability to redshirt next year?
He's currently not taking a full load of classes and he would not be allowed on the team. Last I heard plan was to walk on in January.

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
It‘s a similar story each season - injuries, loss of players. Other programs face the same issues without consistent poor performance from one key group.
Not really, other schools struggle too, it just doesn’t feel like it when you only care about 1

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
LD Brown performance is the equivalent of a blind squirrel finding a nut. When he can show he can replicate that kind of performance consistently, maybe he gets more touches. We ain’t winning a championship without Hubbard touting the rock,
I’m a little more optimistic about LD, he showed some spark last year at times but he couldn’t hold onto the ball (also his passpro sucked). If he can keep holding onto the ball I think he’s a decent guy to give Chubba a break. Not debating that Chubba’s not THE GUY tho, anyone saying otherwise is doing it for the off the field stuff.

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
The Oline was definitely bad, but the way to protect the Oline is a run game, and the way to create a run game is to present some sort of threat from the pocket that prevents 8 in the box on first down. I know we don’t want to bash the guy cuz he’s a student athlete that doesn’t deserve unnecessary criticism. However, it has to be said that that’s the worst QB play we’ve seen in 10 years easily. Daxx was lightyears better, throwing in Wundtee in at the end of games was better. Like just comparing it to other QB play I’ve seen around the Big 12, I lose track of the name of KU QBs, but they’re the only ones I can think of that have had that level of inadequacy recently. Better QB play can make everything better (not saying it’s not a problem that will hold us back ultimately, just that it’s possible that it won’t seem nearly as bad this week).

Nov 25, 2009
Kedah Malaysia
1) Someone explain why we can't have a game thread?
2) Gundy amd QBs....it just makes one laugh
3) Offensive Line may be an issue
4) D actually may be good
5) LD Brown looked 500xs better than last year
6) Illingsworth looked more poised than Sanders (don't at me)
7) Why no game thread?
Sanders is happy feet.

He was and will be reacting to what the other D is doing.Too much of "Takes what the D is giving you"

I want a QB that dictates the opposing D, or keep them guessing...Spread the field and stretch the D to the maximum...and uses the deep speedy talented WR group we are having.The speedy RBs will get their yards. We don't recruit short yardage burly RBs. Sanders is not that QB for such scheme.

Gundy wanted to play the Pat Jones football against lesser opponents; tough run up the middle often and only to open the playbook against better competitions. Fine! but it is Hard to do when the starting QB is too happy feet. He will not see the field well and will easily get hurt

Only way to beat 0U is to have a strong D and with an Offense that stretch their D wide.

Nov 25, 2009
Kedah Malaysia
I'm not a fan of players being on their phones and posting on social media during the game. Every time they showed Tulsa's injured RB on the sidelines, he was on his phone. I get that they were injured and not coming in the game, but still. Keep the phones in the lockers during the game.
It is the trend of today's youngsters. I can't get my 17 and 20 yrs old sons off their phones.

I was at a local restaurant recently. We sat for more a good 5 minutes before being noticed by the waitress who was deep texting to a different dimension world?