Turkey recipes?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Darth Ryno

Territorial Marshal
Jul 26, 2004
Tishomingo, OK
www.sith.ws
I'm making the Thanksgiving meal this year, just my girls and their cousins. I've never baked a turkey before, so looking for your best turkey recipes. Not going to get a deep fryer so that's out :)

#1 Pokes Fan

Territorial Marshal
Mar 27, 2012
Wishing I was in Stillwater
I'm making the Thanksgiving meal this year, just my girls and their cousins. I've never baked a turkey before, so looking for your best turkey recipes. Not going to get a deep fryer so that's out :)
I've never cooked one myself, but I always remember my grandma saying to cook it with the breast side down so the juice would run into the white meat and it wouldn't be so dry. Don't know if that is true or not, I eat the dark meat. Good luck.

Darth Ryno

Territorial Marshal
Jul 26, 2004
Tishomingo, OK
www.sith.ws
I've never cooked one myself, but I always remember my grandma saying to cook it with the breast side down so the juice would run into the white meat and it wouldn't be so dry. Don't know if that is true or not, I eat the dark meat. Good luck.
I saw Gordon Ramsey stuff the bird with an onion and lemon, then pulled the skin away from the breast to shove seasoned butter under it. I never thought about cooking it upside down. Good idea.

Feb 5, 2007
Tulsa, OK
I am not an expert but the best turkey I’ve ever made, I did a dry brine with kosher salt. Super easy and tons of recipes online. I highly recommend it.

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
Oven baked turkey... trash. Smoked turkey is great and all, but deep fried is seriously where it's at. I don't own a smoker, so mine get deep fried.

Got one thawing in the fridge right now for his Saturday date (early turkey day) with the peanut oil jacuzzi.

• Thaw in fridge. Better throw it in the fridge a good 2 full days prior to when you plan cooking it.
  • Once fully thawed and it's turkey fryday, pat it dry with towels/paper towels as much as you can.
  • Inject the turkey with a marinade. I like Tony Cacheres Creole Style Butter Injectable Marinade.
  • Dry rub the snot out of him... I like to use Head Country Championship Seasoning. (You just can't beat Head Country... period... in anything bbq related).
  • Stuff a whole (peeled) white onion down in to the body cavity (it'll infuse some flavor).
  • Drop it in the bubbly oil (SLOWLY) and cook for about 3-3.5 min/pound maintaining the oil at ~350F
  • Pull it out after the time is up and let it cool for like 15 min. They stay hot a long damned time.
  • Carve and enjoy.

A turkey fryer with all the pots for shrimp boils and fish frys is WELL worth the investment. I use mine year round. Easiest way to feed a boatload of people at family gatherings and such.

steross

Bookface/Instagran legend
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
Oven baked turkey... trash. Smoked turkey is great and all, but deep fried is seriously where it's at. I don't own a smoker, so mine get deep fried.

Got one thawing in the fridge right now for his Saturday date (early turkey day) with the peanut oil jacuzzi.

• Thaw in fridge. Better throw it in the fridge a good 2 full days prior to when you plan cooking it.
  • Once fully thawed and it's turkey fryday, pat it dry with towels/paper towels as much as you can.
  • Inject the turkey with a marinade. I like Tony Cacheres Creole Style Butter Injectable Marinade.
  • Dry rub the snot out of him... I like to use Head Country Championship Seasoning. (You just can't beat Head Country... period... in anything bbq related).
  • Stuff a whole (peeled) white onion down in to the body cavity (it'll infuse some flavor).
  • Drop it in the bubbly oil (SLOWLY) and cook for about 3-3.5 min/pound maintaining the oil at ~350F
  • Pull it out after the time is up and let it cool for like 15 min. They stay hot a long damned time.
  • Carve and enjoy.

A turkey fryer with all the pots for shrimp boils and fish frys is WELL worth the investment. I use mine year round. Easiest way to feed a boatload of people at family gatherings and such.
I thought the correct method was to leave it frozen and submerge rapidly?

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
I thought the correct method was to leave it frozen and submerge rapidly?
Well... I mean, that's how real men do it. Naked too. Not the turkey. The real men.

But I'm just a sissy boy. So I like to dry my turkey and powder it's behind before sliding it into the grease... while wearing my NASCAR fire suit.

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
On the subject though... I've got a good friend that snagged up one of the large oil-less (air) turkey fryers last year and he swears by it! And he previously had deep fried many a turkey. Says the oil-less turkey fryer yields a bird just as good as a deep fryer.

I keep meaning to borrow his and try it out just to see if he's not full of turkey.

Aug 31, 2006
63 mi S. of Stillwater
Trust Alton Brown. I followed his recipe the first time I made the Thanksgiving turkey and the family has had me make them every year since.
https://youtu.be/eaKOLGIcMGE

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/good-eats-roast-turkey-recipe-1950271

Tip; If you buy a frozen turkey and plan on thawing it out in the fridge, give it 4 - 7 days to do so.

Another option if you like smoked turkey and want to take the guess work out is to go to your local Rib Crib and pre-order a smoked turkey. They do a fine job as well.

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
I think smoking is the way to go as well but prefer not to much smoke. That is why I use the recipe from my favorite BBQ recipe book, "Big Bob Gibson's BBQ Book" by Chris Lilly (world champion pitmaster). I love the recipes in this thing and have smoked/cooked the majority of the stuff in it and have not found a bad one yet. For his Thanksgiving turkey recipe he does something different. He covers the bird in aluminum foil except for a hole cut in the top. This helps to trap the moisture, increasing the humidity and the small hole only lets in just enough smoke to flavor without overpowering.

Put the thawed turkey in an aluminum pan, breast side up, and season with salt and pepper inside and out. Now the fun part, mold 2 sticks of softened butter into a big ball and put right on top of the breast. Cover the pan with two sheets of foil and cut a 2x1 inch hole in the foil directly over the butter. That butter needs to be at least two inches high to create a steam cavity and place for the smoke to fill once the butter melts. Then just throw it on the smoker for 6 hours at 250 degrees. Toward the end if you want more smoke or browning just rip back the foil. Its done when the internal temp in the thickest part of the thigh is 170-175 degrees.

Sep 6, 2012
Edmond
In my opinion the best thing to do for a turkey is to brine it. I do them every year for all my guys. I smoke mine , but brine works great baked or smoked.

Basically I just used a big cooler to hold the brining turkeys.

A 50/50 saltwater solution dissolved. I then put the turkeys in bags and then cover the turkeys with the brine. I will season the brine when the turkey is in. Seal the bag and put the bag in the ice in the chest. 12 hours of brining will give you a nice moist turkey.

steross

Bookface/Instagran legend
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
I've wanted to try smoking with my weber kettle SOO bad... Wife doesn't want to mess with it but I've about just gone out and grabbed a turkey breast to smoke just to show her... lol
I'm telling you, follow that recipe to the letter and she will thank you. It isn't really heavily smoked, just amazingly good turkey.

oks10

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2007
Yukon, OK
I'm telling you, follow that recipe to the letter and she will thank you. It isn't really heavily smoked, just amazingly good turkey.
Yeah, I figured it'd be similar to how I use wood chips when I grill steaks. (I always toss in apple wood chips.)

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii

• Carve and enjoy.

That’s how I do it as well. I’ll never go back to baked. It sounds gross but once the turkey is done, we deep fry all the leftover Halloween candy. Of course alcohol is involved.