Twitter bans paid political ads on a global level

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
CEO announced Twitter would be banning all political ads on a global level saying a political message reach should be earned and not bought.

Trump campaign manager called the move very dumb saying Twitter is walking away from hundreds of millions in Revenue.

The campaign also said it was an attempt to silence conservatives and claimed "Twitter knows President Trump has the most sophisticated online program ever known"

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
And of course they decide what's a political ad and what's not. I've never been on Twitter so could care less, but there are plenty of people who watch this kind of thing who will give us plenty of examples of Twitter ignoring this when it suits them. Just wait and see.

Nov 8, 2007
Bartlesville
Honestly, I don't see anything changing. They aren't banning political statements, they just won't accept payment to show your statement to others.

You can still post what you want, but the amount of people that see it will be based on your retweets.

Or did I completely misunderstand?

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Honestly, I don't see anything changing. They aren't banning political statements, they just won't accept payment to show your statement to others.

You can still post what you want, but the amount of people that see it will be based on your retweets.

Or did I completely misunderstand?
I think you are correct. You can no longer Pay to "boost" your tweet to promote it and send it out to people if it is a political ad. I updated thread title

sc5mu93

WeaselMonkey
A/V Subscriber
Oct 18, 2006
Spring, TX
They did this on a global level and this is a private company.

They can run their business however they want to.
Wasn't arguing that they couldn't. Just most people, at least in the western world where Twitter operates believe contrary to the idea that a "political message should be *earned*."

CowboyOrangeFan

Mmmm, yeah.
A/V Subscriber
Jun 9, 2006
Florida
Wasn't arguing that they couldn't. Just most people, at least in the western world where Twitter operates believe contrary to the idea that a "political message should be *earned*."
Most people in the Western World have no clue what he is talking about when he says those messages should be earned. Just like most people I have seen responding to this news negatively have no clue what this actually means as far as getting your message out on Twitter. Hint: not much is going to change. There will still be tons of bots constantly pushing tons of political BS filled with out and out lies.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Most people in the Western World have no clue what he is talking about when he says those messages should be earned. Just like most people I have seen responding to this news negatively have no clue what this actually means as far as getting your message out on Twitter. Hint: not much is going to change. There will still be tons of bots constantly pushing tons of political BS filled with out and out lies.
Feels like a massive virtue signal from Twitter.

sc5mu93

WeaselMonkey
A/V Subscriber
Oct 18, 2006
Spring, TX
generally speaking, i don't even use the twitters, outside of the embeds people do here. Just seemed like a weird statement.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
generally speaking, i don't even use the twitters, outside of the embeds people do here. Just seemed like a weird statement.
I posted the stats on Twitter awhile back. It's pretty staggering how many accounts there are, how many are dormant, & how a fairly small percentage of the accounts produce a large percentage of the activity.

Yes, it's used by media, Govts, etc..., but it's largely the "comments" section of an online article or story.

sc5mu93

WeaselMonkey
A/V Subscriber
Oct 18, 2006
Spring, TX
I posted the stats on Twitter awhile back. It's pretty staggering how many accounts there are, how many are dormant, & how a fairly small percentage of the accounts produce a large percentage of the activity.

Yes, it's used by media, Govts, etc..., but it's largely the "comments" section of an online article or story.
I do hate the effect it has happened on the media. A lot of news articles from major news outlets, really are twitter posts: the fewest amount of words and not really telling any real story at all.

No wonder we are all dumb.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
I do hate the effect it has happened on the media. A lot of news articles from major news outlets, really are twitter posts: the fewest amount of words and not really telling any real story at all.

No wonder we are all dumb.
As someone who went through journalism school in the early 90's, I cringe a lot today when observing media. Some of the pioneers of journalism are rolling in their graves today.