1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Two schools of thought regarding Lunt

Discussion in 'OSU Sports Forum' started by GoPokeU, Jan 13, 2012.

1. stonewallpoke

A/V Subscriber stonewallpoke Demon Brigade

Yes, I know. 'Twas a joke.
  2. osudoc22

osudoc22 Wrangler

Sorrenson was the kid from Texarkana and I think they converted him to a WR pretty quickly....don't know where he ended up, good baseball player as well
  3. opfan

opfan Wrangler

I think Walsh gets labeled as a run first guy because he is a great runner. He was selected to the elite 11 competition, which is based purely on passing ability! That was out of every QB in the nation for 2011. Also Dana offered him, I don't think it was because he ran a 4.5. He will be our next QB!
  4. osuguy

osuguy Cowboy

I have no idea what this means, but great use of the smiley thingys!!!
  5. RutherfordFan

RutherfordFan Cowboy

I agree it will be difficult for Lunt to win the job with only one spring, that's a bit too much to ask. I think Walsh wins it. I'm excited to see them play.
  6. IlliniAmy

IlliniAmy Wrangler

Quoted for posterity.
  7. IlliniAmy

IlliniAmy Wrangler

I hesitate to predict who will win the starting QB job, but I fully believe Lunt is on equal footing. I believe his chances are good enough that you better have a list of rhyming baby names, just in case.
  8. jobob85

A/V Subscriber jobob85 Cowboy

Lunt will not start on equal footing for two simple reasons. One that the other two QB's know the play book and two they have seen the difference between high school and college. Where he ends up after summer is another story, one which I am not willing to predict. I look at it from a different angle, if he is good enough to jump the guys on campus then we really have one special young man.
    stonewallpoke and bs_21_goat like this.
  9. osu_cowboy_007

osu_cowboy_007 Cowboy

I don't see a reason why we should go back to zone read option offence (ala prairie dog offense). Leach never had a strong armed QB, you just need to understand the system and have a quick release. Every time I think about zone read offense 2009 season flashes in my mind, that was a disaster.
  10. osugrad78

osugrad78 Cowboy

Ended up at Texas A&M for baseball.
  11. OrangeFan69

A/V Subscriber OrangeFan69 LA face with an Okla. booty

Lives in cities you'll never see on screen
    losing an NFL All pro caliber wideout was a chunk of that problem.
  12. GoPokeU

GoPokeU Wrangler

FIFY
  13. NJAggie

NJAggie Deputy

Right on. So many seem to be under the assumption that Chelf has no chance, and it's simply either Walsh or Lunt next year. Granted Chelf didn't see much pt, and definitely little when it mattered. However, he was able to come in and move the offense with 2nd string players and a cut down playbook. To think we'll have a redshirt Junior with some snaps and you're arguing about whether the RS or True Freshman QB will be the starter is a bit premature. It really supposes that Chelf can't play or that one or both of the Frosh are so overwhelmingly talented that they have to play.

While I'd love for the next Marino to be here this spring that doesn't mean it's likely to happen. I think we've got three solid QB's who'll be here in the spring. We'll see then, but I'd expect Chelf to earn the starter slot, Walsh to be the backup, and Lunt to get a redshirt. With the QB especially that's the way it usually works. Time in the system and maturity mean so much more with the QB than with other positions.

Obviously Weeden was a better QB than Robinson as a Jr and Sr. He may have been a viable replacement for the injured Robinson against OU and Oregon. He was not better prepared to be the starter over a healthy Robinson as a Sophomore or Freshman. Knowledge of the system and ability to read defenses is a lot more important than differences in arm strength. If we didn't have Chelf, I'd say Walsh and Lunt seem talented enough to throw them in the fire. However we do, and unless Chelf can't get the job done, he should be the QB.
  14. osu_cowboy_007

osu_cowboy_007 Cowboy

Well, we don't have a proven dominant WR right now, so its better not to go back to a system which mainly depends on one monster receiver.
  15. OSUFirepolak

OSUFirepolak Cowboy

Texas A&M
  16. stonewallpoke

I just don't see it. After a summer in the system, after some strength and conditioning and some playbook education, he might jump up and steal it from Chelf, especially if we struggle with Chelf at the helm.
  17. seattlepoke

A/V Subscriber seattlepoke Cowboy

I really think this nails it. Chelf will be the guy until he proves that he is incapable of running the offense. There is also the slight chance that Lunt or Walsh are light years ahead of him (not gonna happen soon), but Gundy is rewarding of seniority and hard work. Knowing Gundy, i would say it is 95% that the job is Chelf's to lose, and 5% that it is Lunt's/Walsh's to win. Now, that isn't to say that the 5% won't happen, because long odds like those don't really mean much to me.
  18. OSU79

A/V Subscriber OSU79 Wrangler

I assume you mean rhyming with "Wes" . . .
    GoPokeU likes this.
  19. GoPokeU

GoPokeU Wrangler

NSD can't get here fast enough. We will find out what kind of incoming talent we will have.
    Spring game will be really fun to watch.
  20. stonewallpoke

Les! Wait..