1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

UFC - Sport for Street Thugs?

Discussion in 'Non-OSU Sports Discussion' started by RoVerto Solo, Feb 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RoVerto Solo

RoVerto Solo Banned Banned

I don't like it and I don't go out of my way to watch it. I don't go out of my way to watch the slaughter of animals in the dirt of coliseums either.

Boy JD, have you got me wrong. I'm usually far from delicate, but I do have a soft side. I just find making sport out of something that was designed to defend and kill wrong. I also find the teasing and killing of animals in a ring not sport either.

2. Roman Craig

Roman Craig Race Ya Home! A/V Subscriber

The ones designed to kill are banned from MMA.

3. Pokit N

Pokit N Sheriff

Almost all sports were originally started as a way to mimic combat. Football has offensive and defensive lines. They have "The Blitz" "The Bomb" "The Bullet Pass" "Air & Ground Attacks". Compound fractures, Broken Ribs, Concussions, and even ruptured spleans aren't unheard of in this game. I don't understand why one is okay, but the other is for "thugs".

4. RoVerto Solo

You do not have to defend wrestling. I love to watch a good collegiate match.

5. OSUFirepolak

OSUFirepolak Federal Marshal

Do you have any first hand experiences with these forms of combat? Have you ever trained in any of them or been surrounded by those who have on a regular basis?

Do you KNOW any of these athletes that you have taken upon yourself to label "thugs"?

6. RoVerto Solo

I'm sure there are a few redeeming qualities in making another man submit to end his pain and to avoid possible damage to his body for commercial gain. At least one member has provided that for me.

It really does come down to sensibility and "good sense" of what one thinks is right and wrong. I don't look forward to the duals to the death that will come next on the tube either.

7. CowboyJD

CowboyJD Petey the OSU Gnome's caretaker A/V Subscriber

Your comparison is a ridiculous and idiotic. Notice, I didn't call YOU ridiculous or idiotic. I called your comparison ridiculous and idiotic.

I still find it interesting that you purport to speak with absolute certainty about the development and purposes of the martial arts. There has been a sporting tradition in martial arts throughout history....from the very beginning.

8. OSUFirepolak

Well I guess you really are a better person than everybody who disagrees with you about the sport of MMA. Congrats.

9. CowboyJD

It's a martial art, used as a sport for the entertainment of others. How in the world can you condone such behavior? :rolleyes: What kind of barbarian are you?

I was pointing out that your condemnation of mixed martial arts sounds a whole lot like the criticisms of collegiate wrestling I hear for ignorant, uneducated critics of that sport.

10. CowboyJD

Another completely ridiculous comparison. MMA has fewer permanent injuries than just about any other sport. Comparing it to "death duels" is silly.

I'm sure there are a few redeeming qualities in slamming your body into other bodies thereby causing pain and possible damage to everyone involved for the purposes of advancing or prohibiting the advance of a leather sphere 10 yards for commercial gain as well.

I guess it does come down to "good sense"...and you're not exhibiting much by arguing you're somehow morally superior to those that happen to disagree with you.

11. RoVerto Solo

Injuries are part of sports, but they should not and are not the goal of most sports. Only two sports come to mind that use injuries to score points. The first is the manly art of self-defense and the other is this missionary position sport thing. :)

12. CowboyJD

MMA doe not use "injuries to score points". The more you talk about MMA, the more you show you have no idea what you're talking about.

BTW, MMA has fewer permanent or serious injuries than just about any other major sport.....certainly less than boxing, football, soccer, basketball, etc.

13. OSUFirepolak

I'm still waiting for an answer to this question.

14. Pokit N

Pokit N Sheriff

I assure you D'Ends are trying to damage the quarterback as much as possible.

15. RoVerto Solo

You keep using these words ridiculous, ignorant and uneducated. Pretty pointed words JD, especially when they are pointed at my direction.

I understand the desire for some collegiate wrestlers and those of the martial arts to seek financial gain professionally, but I don't have to accept the message it sends to our youth on a daily basis, that is beating another man into submission for fun and money is OK.

16. RoVerto Solo

Sure, you are absolutely right. I am a better person than anyone that disagrees with me on this subject. That is really what this is all about isn't it. :rolleyes:

17. RoVerto Solo

Boy, have I touch a nerve. :D

18. OSUFirepolak

Well that is EXACTLY how you are making it sound. Intended or not, that is how you are coming off and it looks like I'm not the only one who thinks so.

You've pretty much called these athletes of MMA "thugs" from the very get go and talked down to anybody who has defended this sport. Basically the same way you've discussed anything on this board. With a superior, snobby attitude.

Perfect example right here.

19. lewis the pike

lewis the pike Banned Banned

As usual, when I speak in GENERALITIES, Someone always likes to be the exception (that makes the rule true*)

LOL

20. Epperley28

Epperley28 Federal Marshal A/V Subscriber

I challenge you to do one thing: Watch the Anderson Silva fight on March 1st. I'm sure there will be a sports bar in your area where you can catch it.

Shoot, don't even watch the fight, just turn your head until it's over, then turn it back and watch what he does after he beats Dan Henderson. First, he'll run around a bit, who wouldn't? Then, he'll drop to his knees and pray for what seems like an eternity. Then, in the interview, he will thank God for his gifts and praise his opponent to no end.

Yup, sounds like a thug to me. Straight-up street punk.

Hey, fireman, where is Tank Abbot when you need him to win an argument?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.