1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

UFC - Sport for Street Thugs?

Discussion in 'Non-OSU Sports Discussion' started by RoVerto Solo, Feb 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SUPERMAN

SUPERMAN Wrangler

No, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
  2. SUPERMAN

SUPERMAN Wrangler

Kimbo Slice and Tank are thugs and they fight in a few weeks. Kimbo has some potential after kicking Ray Mercer's (ex boxing champ) butt and Bo (something) but Tank is 1 - 7 in his last 8. Should be a cool fight.

Go to www.mmalinker.com and you can watch any past fight from any fighter free!!! Some good Don Frye and Shamrock Fights as well as a plethora of Fedor fights to watch.
  3. RoVerto Solo

Banned RoVerto Solo Banned

Yes, you are right, but there are penalties for doing it intentionally. It is not the real goal of the game, right? It is certainly a hidden goal of many, but there are no points awarded for a TKO in football and it's not the way any true sportsman wants to be a winner, that is to injury an opponent to win.

If that were the case, shouldn't we take off the helmets and pads and see how much real damage we can do to one another. ;)
  4. OSUFirepolak

OSUFirepolak Cowboy

waiting.... waiting.... waiting.....
  5. Epperley28

A/V Subscriber Epperley28 Cowboy

I hope Kimbo makes it to the UFC someday, because it will just one more example of why MMA is a sport with highly skilled athletes, not the thugs eagle claims. Can you imagine what Frank Mir would do to him?

He's gonna destroy Tank, though. I hope tank is saving some money, but I doubt it. Now that's going to be bloodsport.
  6. Epperley28

A/V Subscriber Epperley28 Cowboy

I'm guessing that's a capital N, capital O. :rolleyes:
  7. RoVerto Solo

One of goals of UFC matches is to make an opponent submit before he is injured or after he is injured. Name another sport other than boxing that has that as a pure goal in scoring points on your opponent.
  8. lewis the pike

Banned lewis the pike Banned

OK, I'll bite...horrible baiting though

Alot of the amateur and wannabe-UFC types are bouncers at bars in the SouthBay of LA, and North OC. They look for combatitive opportunities with drunk people they are bigger than. A number of them were failed cops or ex- army guys up from Camp Pendleton.

There is also a significant of failed football players and failed college wrestlers.

However, those are mostly the jackasses that aren't any good at it, and not many of the succesful ones.
  9. CowboyJD

A/V Subscriber CowboyJD Petey the OSU Gnome's caretaker

Are they any more pointed than "It really does come down to sensibility and "good sense" of what one thinks is right and wrong. I don't look forward to the duals to the death that will come next on the tube either." wherein you're stating directly that I don't have a good sense of right and wrong because I enjoy MMA?

Are they any more pointed than your continued suggestions that someone that enjoys MMA is enjoying something comparable to a cockfight or a dogfight?

Before you started complaining about pointed words someone makes about your opinion (and specifically restricts the statements to your stated opinion not your personal character), you might want examine your own pointed words about other posters' personal character you're making.

Comparing MMA to "death duels" and cockfights and dogfights is ridiculous and idiotic. They're not remotely the same. So is arguing that people that enjoy MMA are morally deficient in their sense of right and wrong. Your conduct and statements quite clearly reflect you don't have a working knowledge of what is actually involved in MMA. That's the very definition of uneducated and ignorant.
  10. OSUFirepolak

OSUFirepolak Cowboy

Those are not the people who are true MMA fighters. If that is the only contact or first hand experience somebody has with a person who claims to be a legit MMA fighter than they are forming their opinion on a falsehood.

The people who you just described are the ones who come in thinking they are hot sh!t and are quickly shown by the real fighters what it really takes to be successful in the sport.
  11. CowboyJD

You don't "score points" for injuries. The goal is not to "inflict injury" in MMA any more than it is in any other sport where the use of physical force is authorized. I'll again repeat, the injury history in MMA sports is better than any other major sport.

Football has, as a pure goal, the infliction of physical dominance, pain, and potential injury for the purpose of moving a ball down the field to score points. The moral distinction you're trying to make (points aren't give directly for the use of force, but based upon the movement of the ball advanced by the use of such force) is absent and irrelevant.
  12. CowboyJD

As usual, when you speak in GENERALITIES your statements are way off base and inaccurate.

Actually your "generality" is more the exception than the rule in this particular situation.
  13. lewis the pike

However, UFC sells more videos and gets more applause when there is an arm broken, a concusion or a nose shattered.

Coincidence?

It's very similar to the NFL penalizing, fining and suspending spearing by guys like Pat Tillman, Ronnie Lott, Chuck Cecil and Andre Waters but marketing the videotapes to sell for a profit.
  14. lewis the pike

Next time you are watching a UFC fight amongst a crowd, estimate the percentage the people's scores on the GMAT or GRE
  15. CowboyJD

Just wondering....do you feel the same way about boxing as you do MMA?

If not, why not?

I'll try and end my involvement in this discussion (while reserving the right to return) by pointing out that the desire for and attraction of individual testing of one's physical mettle against another human has been a part of human nature for ages upon ages. It's a part of who we are in my opinion.

Mixed martial arts are full of examples of legitimate usage for sport and entertainment. Nearly every single organized martial art has a sporting, point based aspect to its development and continued growth. Your contention that martial arts been exclusively reserved for self defense and death dealing is simply inaccurate. Since the beginning of time, men have tested themselves against other men in regulated, sporting, physical environments for sport, entertainment, and prestige.

IMHO, there's nothing wrong with that desire and that conduct between two consenting individuals. There's nothing wrong with admiring and enjoying the skill exhibited in such bouts.

I feel quite good about my sense of right and wrong, but if you want to feel yours is superior because you find MMA abhorrent.....feel free.
  16. RoVerto Solo

I have the greatest respect for the dedication of collegiate wrestlers and those that have studied and practice the martial arts. I just believe that the UFC is the dark side of the force of this arts and the practice of it for financial gain is a form of thuggery.

I have discussed this subject with a friend who who is skilled in the martial arts and he shares the same position I have taken here.

Yes, I have had some training in hand to hand combat when I was in the military and law enforcement. I have not dedicated my life to the martial arts as some have so honorably done.
  17. CowboyJD

I've personally attended at least twenty UFC or WEC pay per view events. I'd estimate that of those fans I've spoken to personally at those events, anywhere from 50%-75% would score as well or better than you would with the same amount of schooling and preparation. The majority of them have been colleged educated, own their own businesses, and were plenty articulate. That percentage would increase when you talk about the fighters themselves.
  18. CowboyJD

You're entitled to your opinion. I'm entitled to disagree with it. My friend and instructor who is skilled in the martial arts happens to disagree with your friend.

Your suggestion that those that disagree with you are somehow morally deficient and without a good sense of right and wrong was out of bounds though.
  19. CowboyJD

You just proved my argument that UFC fans and the UFC sport is no different than any other sport and its fans when it comes to this issue.

Thanks.
  20. lewis the pike

And i never said , either were correct!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.