1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Upper Deck

Discussion in 'OSU Sports Forum' started by Rack, Apr 8, 2012.

1. Rack

Rack Deputy

I know it's still early but we are currently on a pace to sell 50,000 plus season tickets for the 2012-13 season, which would be another record number and will leave only around 10K for the visiting teams fans, band, and the single gameday ticket sales. I beleive we are very close too, or have already sold, all the suites. Plus all those sales are in a year where we just lost our best two offensive players AND have Bedlam in Norman.... When does an upper deck become a reality?

My opion is that we should be in the planning stages now...but we have to build everythin debt free as stated by the AD (I agree), and I know other needs are higher on the totem pole right now...but IF we continue on the pace we have been on (making a winning BCS bowls) we might need it within the next five years to seven years.
  2. okstate87

okstate87 Wrangler

tens years of this, then maybe. it costs money to plan things too. money we don't have.
  3. StillwaterMan

A/V Subscriber StillwaterMan Beers and loud noises

Even if we had more cash than we know what to do with, an upper deck would not be desired in my opinion. There is many better places for that money to go (and im even excluding secondary sports).
  4. croc_hunter

croc_hunter Wrangler

Unfortunately, ticket sales will drop way off after a poor season, so we need to continue winning for a few more years before an upper deck would pay for itself.
    PokealypseNow and Pokengineer like this.
  5. ProBonoPoke

ProBonoPoke Wrangler

As long as Holder is AD we will never have an upper deck. For him there would be no economic benefit, we already have some of the highest ticket prices in the nation. He's stated that he would rather sell less tickets at a higher price than to sell out BPS. More seats = lower ticket prices all around. OSU would have a hard time packing an 80+ stadium no matter how good we got and that in the long run would mean less money
  6. CPTNQUIRK

A/V Subscriber CPTNQUIRK A Legend in His Own Mind

In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
    Only after the entire Athletic Village is built, including any upgrades to the IPF. The IPF as currently planned is somewhat Spartan in concept. I believe that it will be improved after everything else is built. But the money has to be there to build any of it. I'm wondering if the money is there to complete the IPF as currently designed. Progress seems to be moving along slowly. Pics, anyone?
    okstate0303 likes this.
  7. Pokengineer

A/V Subscriber Pokengineer Go Pokes!

I agree completely and I dont blame Holder. Hate to say it but we need a larger fanbase before we are ready for a 75k+ stadium. With the success we have had the fanbase has already grown a ton plus we have had record freshman enrollment classes the last 4 years thus our numbers of alumni are increasing more rapidly. The day will come where we will put an upperdeck on BPS but it will be at the earliest 15 years out...
  8. OrangeFan69

A/V Subscriber OrangeFan69 LA face with an Okla. booty

Lives in cities you'll never see on screen
    If we took out insurance policies on donors maybe we could fund things...
  9. OSUndefeated

OSUndefeated Wrangler

You could've stopped at, "I know it is still early". Really early.
  10. ORANGEOKIE

ORANGEOKIE Wrangler

When they commissioned the upgrade for BPS it was designed with an Upper deck, the reason being is that they wanted the upgrades to make it easy to add one if that was ever wanted, so they wouldn;t have to go back to the drawing board. In other words, they already have the design plans, and what we have done so far is with an upper deck designed in, so if they ever decide to do it, they can just do it, they don't have to go back through the planning stages, which will save a lot of time and money
  11. OrangeForever

A/V Subscriber OrangeForever I'm a GREAT guy, by the way.

Between this and the Cordell Hall thread, I'm beginning to believe that money is irrelevant in Rack's world.
    okstate87 and osucam like this.
  12. PartyPartyParty

PartyPartyParty One Love.

I get it now...you really ARE a comedian hahaha
    OrangeFan69 likes this.
  13. PartyPartyParty

PartyPartyParty One Love.

Really?? This is smart but I find it kind of hard to believe, just because of looking at BPS it'd be really hard to imagine an upper deck upgrade that didn't look extremely tacky.
  14. croc_hunter

croc_hunter Wrangler

What is the official BPS capacity? Weeden said 68k on Gruden's QB show but I thought it was in the 50s?
  15. bacowboy

bacowboy Deputy

Pretty sure he is correct.
  16. Pokengineer

A/V Subscriber Pokengineer Go Pokes!

60,218 is the official capacity but from what I have heard we can never get that number due to fire marshals determining it to be too many for the number of exits etc.

I think weeden meant to say 58k but hey 68k sounds better haha...
    skirtguy likes this.
  17. FlamingAggie

FlamingAggie Cowboy

60,218 is the listed 'official' capacity, including all club seats and skyboxes.
  18. StillwaterMan

A/V Subscriber StillwaterMan Beers and loud noises

I love BPS the way it sits. It already gets loud as hell, when we put our minds to it, and there are plenty of quotes out there from opposing Big 12 players and coaches calling it one of the toughest if not the toughest atmosphere in the conferance.

If the flag installed last year was the last and final touch I will be tickled.
    osupride97 and PokeLady211 like this.
  19. wagonburner

wagonburner Wrangler

We had the original plan out in 2001, and it underwent numerous changes since then, most notably the WEZ locker rooms. I think they realized they could fit more people in the shoe and yes the upper decks were included in the original artwork.
    BMAC likes this.
  20. PokealypseNow

PokealypseNow Cowboy

Two words:

Ribbon. Boards.
    skirtguy, 65POKE and MSteph57 like this.