1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Upper Deck

Discussion in 'OSU Sports Forum' started by Rack, Apr 8, 2012.

1. 65POKE

65POKE Deputy

Jonathangpark likes this.
  2. 65POKE

65POKE Deputy

Reviewed that thread, mostly about Baylor's proposed stadium. It must of been my imagination about stadium seating after upper deck being mentioned. :thumbup:

3. okstate87

okstate87 Cowboy

can we just build a baseball field that doesnt feel like it belongs in eastbound and down first?

then a track that we can actually field events at...ya know...with stands.

and soccer field with stands larger than my hometown's parks and rec fields.

then we can get to that.

4. Rack

Rack Federal Marshal

I agree other things should be a priority just think it's good to dream big as we have for the past several years.

5. 65POKE

65POKE Deputy

wasn't suggesting it ya know been show dat der photo for info purpose twoday b all i been say. :thumbup: :rolleyes:

6. okstate87

okstate87 Cowboy

i dont blame you for having them. but theyre pipe dreams right now, as many have expressed in many many threads on this site.

7. Rack

Rack Federal Marshal

All those other things we have right now were pipe dreams at some point and now they are reality...Dream big and plan big and you never know what will happen. It's why that in the past 15 years we have enlarged GIA, built Karsten Creek, and then built BPS. It's not over...we are still building and the IPF is under construction with Tennis next.

Jostate likes this.
  8. Rack

Rack Federal Marshal

I am thankful...I'm not saying we need it today...I'm saying IF we continue to sell tickets at this pace we are going to need it in five to seven years. I'm thinking we are headed to BCS bowls annually and going to be in a Championship game soon, very soon. IMHO, this season was just a beginning not an end. That's why were going to need the extra seats that we don't need now. Get it?

9. PokealypseNow

PokealypseNow Territorial Marshal

[​IMG]

OSUndefeated likes this.
  10. OSU79

OSU79 Territorial Marshal A/V Subscriber

I've been around a long time - I remember the concept of 'poor season.' Hell, just a few years ago we finished 9-4 a couple times. Another stretch like that could get a coach fired around here.

;)

zachya and steross like this.
  11. MSteph57

MSteph57 Territorial Marshal A/V Subscriber

I got to say that Monken's looks like Jim Carrey when he was the Grinch on your sig. :)

12. MSteph57

MSteph57 Territorial Marshal A/V Subscriber

Like I've been saying is lets connect the bowl all the way to GIA then lets worry about attitude in a few years.

Rack likes this.
  13. CTeamPoke

CTeamPoke Wildcard A/V Subscriber

Why? Why will we need extra seats? Why can't we just keep what we have and create a lot if demand? Make a ticket to OSU football the hottest ticket in the region. That will keep non-OSU fans out of the stadium, and help OSU fans out!

That way, as a season ticket holder, you will be able to sell the tickets to the games you can't make and get a profit!

14. El Gato Bandito

El Gato Bandito Ballin' on a Budget A/V Subscriber

Just my opinion here, but I think an upper deck would be completely unnecessary. We just had the best season ever at OSU and I can remember seeing at least one or two empty sections at every home game last year. The stadium is just about perfect for us capacity wise.

okstate0303 likes this.
  15. Rack

Rack Federal Marshal

While I agree and want to be able to sale my extra season tickets for a profit...

We will need extra seats when we sell out the bowl with season tickets and that is indeed the goal...IF and WHEN we do sell out the bowl we aren't going to have any more tickets available for visitors or single games at all. At that point in time we will indeed be limiting our revenue opportunities by not building extra seating. But until demand for season tickets is at 100% plus of capacity I agree with you. When we have a waiting list it's time to build. My entire point is based on the apparent increases in our fan base as evident by the record season ticket sales pace we are on even without a Bedlam home game. I’m fairly confident that IF we keep up the pace of putting BCS game teams on the field...then we will also have to expand to keep up with new interest. This intrested will come from former bandwagon fans of other area teams as well as long term OSU fans and Alumni who just never were interested in supporting what prior to last year a second rate OSU football program. Winning the Big 12 conference and a BCS game is indeed a game changer with regard to sales.

16. jobob85

jobob85 Feral Marshal A/V Subscriber

Interesting arguments against an upper deck. Those same arguments were valid before we expanded from 44,000 seats. We were in debt and didn't sell out the old stadium.

17. jimmy81

jimmy81 Cowboy A/V Subscriber

By my calculations you can get 900 seats per row in an upper deck. The first 2 rows are already completed (just no seats). Now the question is how many rows can you actually put on top of BPS? My guess is 24. That would add 21,600 seats to our 60,218 for a total of approx. 82,000. This could be done in 3 steps (south, north, west), so to not add too many at once. At $300/seat for Season tickets, you would add approx. $6.5mil/year in income. I would estimate that this would cost less than $40mil.

It can be done, but what is the priority? That is the main question.

Rack likes this.
  18. Rack

Rack Federal Marshal

I bet it could be done for 1/2 of that considering the stadium is already built to handle it structurally. It will be interesting to see what happens and it has a TON to do with maintaining success on the field from now deep into the future.

19. cowboys_r_us

cowboys_r_us Deputy

Dreaming is fun, but this isn't going to happen anytime soon... And as a school that used to pride itself in success in all sports, we've got alot of work to do in alot of other places before we start talking upgrades to the football stadium.

I know it would seem that we've going to reach high demand in just a few years - but that's very misleading. There's only so many OSU football fans in this state - regardless of how many games we're winning. Increasing that number is a long term process and you must be consistently successful.

There are some OU fans that might would be willing to buy OSU tickets, but I'd guess not many, so it will take a long period of time to greatly increase the size of the fanbase.

Example: Many of OU's season ticket holders grew up watching OU while they were children in the 70s and 80s. Because OU was so dominant, these people grew up and, when they could afford tickets, they became season ticket holders.

OSU's producing more and more alumni, but only fraction of these people will live in the area, of that only a certain number are football fans and of that only a certain number care to have season tickets. With that said, I think it takes a long winning trend to create new fans.

JavaGuy likes this.
  20. 65POKE

65POKE Deputy

Sometimes I feel we are a little elitist as to who can be a possibly be an OSU fan. Maybe because there are so many none graduates of ou that are "sooners" we have had to put up with over the years. To me someone in Boston, who has never been to Oklahoma, but loves OSU and consistently roots for the Cowboys is an OSU fan. I welcome anyone, graduate or not if they bleed orange. When did OSU become so snobbish? I think we limit the appeal of OSU and it future with this kind of thinking. Oklahoma has too small a population to act that way.

As far as the upper deck, I think some other sports should be addressed first, but when we cease to dream and have don't have goals, we as a university becoming a dying breed.

Jonathangpark likes this.