1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

[Urgent] Ipod help

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by HeartLike_JohnStarks, May 14, 2009.

1. HeartLike_JohnStarks

HeartLike_JohnStarks Cowboy

So as of lately my Ipod Video (30GB) has been acting up. I would play a video and then it would kinda freeze up and the whole thing just becomes reaalllly laggish (it wasn't laggin before then). Same thing when I try to play a song. BUT then other times it has no problem at all. I still have more than 10 GB left on this ipod so I don't think its a capacity issue. I should also warn you that I have dropped this poor ipod a couple of times (but from the looks of it no obvious damage has been done because of it, internally) and I've also yanked it out prematurely while it was connected to my computer a couple of times too.

Anyone here an Ipod expert that can help me? I would rather get this thing fixed before consider buying a new one, especially since they don't have the 30 GB anymore, only the more expensive 120GB version. :mad:

Thanks in advance.
  2. OKState918

OKState918 Cowboy

Regardless of the capacity, the fact that iPod classics use a mechanical hard drive (instead of a solid state one, like iPhones and iPod Touches) means that there'll be a bit of a load time - especially if you've got a lot of stuff on it (granted, 20 gb isn't a lot, but it's still enough to create a bit of lag).

Like I said though - since the iPod you've got has a mechanical hard drive, I'm thinking the times you've dropped it might have just knocked something off a little bit or something. Probably not what you want to hear, but if the calibration gets off, it could cause some issues.

Might take a look at www.ilounge.com. Kind of a difficult site to navigate, but it's by far the best iPod resource page I've ever found.
  3. Binman4OSU

Binman4OSU Cowboy

4. Poke4Christ

Poke4Christ Cowboy

I suggest copying all your media off of it and onto your computer then trying to reformat the device (don't know how it's done). If it is refreshed to it's original state and still has problems after you load your media back on I'm guessing there is a problem with the hard drive and lag is caused by hardware issues. At that point you are probably SOL as the drives aren't easily replaced.
  5. Poke4Christ

Poke4Christ Cowboy

definitly do this before you wipe it.
  6. HeartLike_JohnStarks

Thanks for all the replies guys (or gals)!

But I just decided I was just going to restore it, since resetting it/letting it run out of battery just didn't seem to work. But boy that baby was acting and freezing all over the place when I plugged it into by PC. It froze when I tried to access the Ipod drive! It was scaring the hell out of me, but I eventually got it to restore and so far it seems to be working fine.......so far......

Quick question: Any of you guys have a Zune or other similar Mp3/video-playing devices that you think are viable alternatives for the Ipod? I heard the Zunes are good but don't you have to play monthly fees to download stuff? I'm a cheap guy so I just download free songs of Limewire or other file sharing sites.

Thanks again!
  7. zachya

A/V Subscriber zachya Hero of Spielburg

Bought a zune for the wifey and she loves it. She's had it the about 9 months and no problems.
  8. Poke4Christ

Poke4Christ Cowboy

It's like any other device in that it will play MP3's and other unprotected media files just fine. you just need to look at the file types a device will play and see if it's what you want. With zune, it use's microsoft's protection scheme and some music sellers that use that provide a subscription option. This isn't required to play the unprotected music you have.

Also, if you have bought any songs from itunes I don't think the zune plays them. I think only the ipod can.
  9. Slugger926

Slugger926 Deputy

I have a Zune. If you own the songs on Itunes, and can burn them to a CD, you can rip them back to the zune software tricking any security stuff. I use the zune for my online courses, and it is awesome. I also love getting podcasts on all kinds of topics. I have yet to use the wireless capabilities, and they keep updating the software making it much better over the life of this jewel.
  10. HeartLike_JohnStarks

Another question:

Any of you guys know how to properly remove the two halves of the Ipod? There' s a little crease opening between the two layers and now there are some dust on my screen (inside it). Should I take it out?

Thanks again.
  11. OKState918

OKState918 Cowboy

Use something thin but firm - like one of those flathead screwdrivers they sell in eyeglass repair kits - and gently pry your way under between the case and the backing and work your way around the edge.

That worked for me at least when I was replacing the battery in mine (although that was with a 3gen model, but I'd imagine it's still the same). Just be patient, and don't be too rough with it.

Just for what it's worth - opening the case will void your warranty (assuming it's still under warranty), so if you were wanting to get whatever done to the harddrive, you should probably do that before you open the case.

Honestly, if the dust isn't too bad, I don't think I'd worry about it too much.