Warren's Plan on Student Loans

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

steross

Bookface/Instagran legend
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
https://www.yang2020.com/policies/close-skills-gap-community-college/

A lot of ink has been spilled over the skills gap – the space between skills those seeking work have and those hiring want. There’s a simple solution to this problem: community colleges.

All community colleges should be funded at a level to make tuition free or nearly-free for anyone, especially those who are taking vocational classes. The government can be involved, but businesses should also be encouraged to invest in their area’s community colleges, both to create stronger ties to their communities and better access to this potential workforce.

Aug 16, 2012
Meaning there's a whole discussion about WHY their loan debt is so high, which would be a major component in this discussion.
BS. That is like complaining about not being able to make my Maserati payments. School is expensive and is not for everyone. Like the maserati, if you cannot afford it, you either figure out a way to make it work or you do without. School being expensive is a known commodity and they assumed those debts willingly.

Now comes the argument about school being available to everyone, a right to an education. It is available to everyone, but you have to pay for it. As for a right, that is a fallacy. A secondary education is not a right. It is something you earn and like everything else you earn, it takes time and commitment....physical and financial.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
BS. That is like complaining about not being able to make my Maserati payments. School is expensive and is not for everyone. Like the maserati, if you cannot afford it, you either figure out a way to make it work or you do without. School being expensive is a known commodity and they assumed those debts willingly.

Now comes the argument about school being available to everyone, a right to an education. It is available to everyone, but you have to pay for it. As for a right, that is a fallacy. A secondary education is not a right. It is something you earn and like everything else you earn, it takes time and commitment....physical and financial.
You're right. Educational costs haven't risen dramatically since you & I were in college.:facepalm:

Aug 16, 2012
https://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/05/opinion/sunday/the-real-reason-college-tuition-costs-so-much.html

The costs have risen because of federal funding. You want the costs to decrease then get the feds out of it.
Completely agree, and also, the overwhelming desire to be a "research" university so they can pat themselves on the back with other AAU members at cocktail parties. Research is funded by either grants or the general student populace, not by itself and that is a huge hickey.

Aug 16, 2012
You're right. Educational costs haven't risen dramatically since you & I were in college.:facepalm:
You are completely missing the point.

The point is, the ONLY point is.....these people took out a loan they could not repay.

A financial obligation is a financial obligation no matter what the collateral. Borrow money, pay it back.

Cannot go to school? Tough. Go to the military for a few years and get assistance. Go to a JC which have thousands of job-related programs/degrees that one can make a very suitable living. A trade school.

As MIck Jagger says, "You can't always get what you want."

SLVRBK

Johnny 8ball's PR Manager
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
Katy, TX
https://www.yang2020.com/policies/close-skills-gap-community-college/

A lot of ink has been spilled over the skills gap – the space between skills those seeking work have and those hiring want. There’s a simple solution to this problem: community colleges.

All community colleges should be funded at a level to make tuition free or nearly-free for anyone, especially those who are taking vocational classes. The government can be involved, but businesses should also be encouraged to invest in their area’s community colleges, both to create stronger ties to their communities and better access to this potential workforce.
Already covered that in another thread...public/private apprenticeships.

SLVRBK

Johnny 8ball's PR Manager
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
Katy, TX
Likely because the rust belt has been devastated by job loss and opioids.
So, when University of Texas' endowment exceeds $30B ($26.5B in 2018) they should fund an new university in Oho until it becomes self-sustaining? I don't think the citizens of Texas would agree that their public university should be spending funds on UT-Cleveland.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
You are completely missing the point.

The point is, the ONLY point is.....these people took out a loan they could not repay.

A financial obligation is a financial obligation no matter what the collateral. Borrow money, pay it back.

Cannot go to school? Tough. Go to the military for a few years and get assistance. Go to a JC which have thousands of job-related programs/degrees that one can make a very suitable living. A trade school.

As MIck Jagger says, "You can't always get what you want."
Tunnel vision is your friend, I guess.

Again, though, you're right. The average debt a student has nowadays has zero to do with the ridiculous increases in cost.

Aug 16, 2012
Tunnel vision is your friend, I guess.

Again, though, you're right. The average debt a student has nowadays has zero to do with the ridiculous increases in cost.
It is not tunnel vision, it is holding the responsible party...responsible.

When something is too expensive for you to do....you do not do it. Very basic premise.

"Officer, I was speeding because my speedometer goes all the way to 110 and the car itself can get to 120".

"Cannot be out of money, I still have checks".

Let me guess. Credit card companies are responsible for young adults racking up debt because they made it too easy to apply, right? Not the kid's fault for purchasing too much, right?

You are ignoring the problem and looking for a justification as to why they are where they are.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO

When something is too expensive for you to do....you do not do it. Very basic premise.

"Officer, I was speeding because my speedometer goes all the way to 110 and the car itself can get to 120".

Let me guess. Credit card companies are responsible for young adults racking up debt because they made it too easy to apply, right? Not the kid's fault for purchasing too much, right?

You are ignoring the problem and looking for a justification as to why they are where they are.
When student loan debt has more than tripled in a decade, there might just, maybe, be something happening besides just irresponsible borrowing.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater

When student loan debt has more than tripled in a decade, there might just, maybe, be something happening besides just irresponsible borrowing.
Irresponsible lending, since the government took it over.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Can you think of one kid you know that's in college who is working a good paying summer job such as construction?
Besides multiple nieces & nephews, & students who I work with daily?

Ah, never mind, you're right. Kids today suck & none of them work, it's that simple, right?

Now tell me again about walking 2 miles uphill both ways to school...

Aug 16, 2012
Would not be a problem if the loans were not taken. Period.

See, this is why it will never get fixed, because people refuse to admit the core of the problem lies with irresponsible borrowers.

We can go on and on but clearly will never agree on the root so further bickering is pointless.

Jul 20, 2018
Besides multiple nieces & nephews, & students who I work with daily?

Ah, never mind, you're right. Kids today suck & none of them work, it's that simple, right?

Now tell me again about walking 2 miles uphill both ways to school...
That's a cute reply but didn't address my question. I didn't say kids today don't work. I asked if they worked a good paying job.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
That's a cute reply but didn't address my question. I didn't say kids today don't work. I asked if they worked a good paying job.
I don't know, what with the plethora of "good paying jobs" there are out there for unskilled youngsters who can work for 3 months in the summer.
Would not be a problem if the loans were not taken. Period.

See, this is why it will never get fixed, because people refuse to admit the core of the problem lies with irresponsible borrowers.

We can go on and on but clearly will never agree on the root so further bickering is pointless.
You've literally said nothing this whole time about the increases in cost to attend college, other than that you agree it's because of Federal money to the schools.

Is that not something worth even discussing? Does that have something to do with how much they borrow?