Warren's Plan on Student Loans

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jul 20, 2018
I don't know, what with the plethora of "good paying jobs" there are out there for unskilled youngsters who can work for 3 months in the summer.
That's my point. Those jobs aren't available like they used to be thanks to the use of illegal alien labor. In 1978, I was getting paid the current equivalent of $25/hour for unskilled labor.

Jul 20, 2018
I was supposed to get that you're talking about illegals with that post of yours????

No wonder I missed your point.
No. You were supposed to come to the realization that kids aren't working good paying jobs because they aren't there. I filled in the reason for you. You're welcome.

pokes16

Territorial Marshal
Oct 16, 2003
Tulsa
Not sure I followed all this, but I did have dinner Thursday with a manager at a fabrication company and he and every company like his are starving for workers. They are doing everything they can to find them and pay them good money. You prove you can show up on time, listen and learn and they have plenty of high paying jobs available.

Nov 6, 2010
No. You were supposed to come to the realization that kids aren't working good paying jobs because they aren't there. I filled in the reason for you. You're welcome.
My wife is ops manager of a nice sized construction company here in Omaha, and they are in constant need of people. To the point where they hold recruiting events, etc. They use e-verify, but she knows they still have a few illegals working under other people's SSN's, etc. Even with that, they can't fill their ranks. The jobs are there, trust me. Our kids are pussies now, and don't have to do them, and won't do them.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
I got it. I'm supposed to read your mind & guess when you're going off on some tangent that hasn't even been mentioned in a 3 page thread.

The grocery store by our house has a starting wage of $15/hour, with benefits.

The pot shops pay an average of $18/hour around here.

Multiple, multiple manufacturing jobs from food to printing pay $18 or more an hour.

You're right, there's none of those jobs out there.

I congratulate you on your ability to totally derail a discussion, however.

Jul 20, 2018
I got it. I'm supposed to read your mind & guess when you're going off on some tangent that hasn't even been mentioned in a 3 page thread.

The grocery store by our house has a starting wage of $15/hour, with benefits.

The pot shops pay an average of $18/hour around here.

Multiple, multiple manufacturing jobs from food to printing pay $18 or more an hour.

You're right, there's none of those jobs out there.

I congratulate you on your ability to totally derail a discussion, however.
If you don't like what I post, disregard my comments and go elsewhere. No one forced you to reply.

If you care to read further, you continue to make my point. A low-skilled labor job should be paying $25/hr minimum. Anyone with a skill should make much more.

Jul 20, 2018
My wife is ops manager of a nice sized construction company here in Omaha, and they are in constant need of people. To the point where they hold recruiting events, etc. They use e-verify, but she knows they still have a few illegals working under other people's SSN's, etc. Even with that, they can't fill their ranks. The jobs are there, trust me. Our kids are pussies now, and don't have to do them, and won't do them.
I agree with you to an extent. If companies want employees, all they have to do is pay more. It's the law of supply and demand. Unfortunately, most companies aren't like your wife's. They'll go for the cheaper illegals which keeps wages down for everyone.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
If you don't like what I post, disregard my comments and go elsewhere. No one forced you to reply.

If you care to read further, you continue to make my point. A low-skilled labor job should be paying $25/hr minimum. Anyone with a skill should make much more.
It's okay, you posted a comment out of left field with no explanation at all what you were talking about. Now you're clarifying it.

Most college students don't have a skill, so you're making a stupid point, btw.

$25/hour is even stupider, but prattle on.

Jul 20, 2018
It's okay, you posted a comment out of left field with no explanation at all what you were talking about. Now you're clarifying it.

Most college students don't have a skill, so you're making a stupid point, btw.

$25/hour is even stupider, but prattle on.
You continue to make my point. I had a skill. Took two years of welding in high school. I didn't always use it but it opened doors. I can prattle on and on all day. $6.25/hour in 1978 equals $25 in today's dollars.

My nephew decided not to go to college. He came out of high school with a skill and makes $30/hour. Prattle prattle.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
You continue to make my point. I had a skill. Took two years of welding in high school. I didn't always use it but it opened doors. I can prattle on and on all day. $6.25/hour in 1978 equals $25 in today's dollars.

My nephew decided not to go to college. He came out of high school with a skill and makes $30/hour. Prattle prattle.
We already know you're a hero, you tell us all the time.

Like I said, most kids don't have a trade or skill coming out of HS.

NotOnTV

BRB -- Taking an okie leak
Sep 14, 2010
Gondor
Hope we still have a critical mass of voters who can recognize the inherent and extreme unfairness in student loan debt forgivneess.

Nov 6, 2010
I agree with you to an extent. If companies want employees, all they have to do is pay more. It's the law of supply and demand. Unfortunately, most companies aren't like your wife's. They'll go for the cheaper illegals which keeps wages down for everyone.
And I'll agree with you also to an extent, in that the fact that there are illegals in the labor pool, it does drag down the wage, even for companies that try to do it right because of competition. However, by far the largest draw for illegal workers is in the agricultural sector. That's a whole different animal there.

Mar 11, 2006
Warren’s idea is HORRIBLE. Basically teaching Americans that financial responsibility and fiscal planning is not important.

My HS senior daughter is going to OSU next semester. If I thought Warren had a snowballs chance at winning, I would tell my daughter to take out a loan instead of paying for college. Then once immediately out of college get the loan forgiven.

All this does is reward those who are irresponsible and punish people who work hard to be responsible. This is 180 degree opposite of what we should be encouraging,

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2012
I don't know, what with the plethora of "good paying jobs" there are out there for unskilled youngsters who can work for 3 months in the summer.

You've literally said nothing this whole time about the increases in cost to attend college, other than that you agree it's because of Federal money to the schools.

Is that not something worth even discussing? Does that have something to do with how much they borrow?
Yes, it costs a lot. Houses cost a lot. Nice cars cost a lot. Vacations cost a lot. Food, clothes, everything. But the difference is, when you buy a house, you buy what you can afford, starting with a condo or 70s vintage in an older part of town. When you buy a car, you buy what you can afford---used Toyota Camry instead of a loaded truck or Lexus crossover. Vacation to a lake or somewhere reasonable instead of taking that European trip. Walmart clothes, Aldi food, whatever, you buy what you can afford. It is overtly apparent that millions of young kids bought more than they could afford by incurring loans to expensive 4-year universities instead of alternative routes. They could have gone to JC, CC, trade school, waited until they had money, etc., etc. but they did not, and now there is an effort to bail them out? Why should Joe USA have to pay for their lack of common sense?

Should we pay for everything else they have purchased but cannot afford? This is at the forefront because student loans have no physical collateral that can be repossessed and are not required to sustain a day-to-day existence. This makes them easy to skip or outright ignore because nobody is going to come turn off your power because you are behind on your student loan. This is the housing bust all over again. Yeah, blame the banks like everyone did, but who signed the loans knowing they had no way to fulfill the terms of the loan? Difference is, when the housing bust was active, you actually lost your house. Maybe that is what is needed....Do not pay your loans, have your degree rescinded until you are in good standing. Not paid off, but making payments as stipulated.

Yes, the cost of education is expensive. I cede that point. But I am obviously not impressing upon you that the cost is irrelevant. They bought more than they could pay for when it is their responsibility to only borrow what they are capable of repaying. It is even more exaggerated when they did so to obtain degrees that any lucid person would recognize does not pay enough to meet all of their obligations. People are going to offer you the world from now until the day you die. It is the responsibility of the individual to be aware enough to determine if they can afford it.

I also get incensed when I see young adults running around with $1000 phones they upgrade every year, eating out every night, driving new cars, fully-furnished homes, current fashion and kids in tow. No, not all are that way, but IMO, I would be willing to bet most are guilty of at least one of those examples illustrating a lack of fiscal discipline, any two of which would be enough to make a student loan payment instead.

Aug 16, 2012
And IMO, this is why we are here as well. Too good for menial labor or, God forbid, entry level positions. Cannot tell you the number of interviewees I have seen in the past 10 years who walked away from entry level jobs thinking the college degree entitled them to middle management and above right out of the box. Starts even younger. The little suburb I live in cannot find kids to work. The new shopping center literally has buses running to Dallas to pick-up people who want to work at the jobs a decade ago we were screaming that the illegals were taking from them. I personally know about 20 kids in this high school. Every one has a car nicer than mine, live in a house nicer than mine, and with one exception, none of them work. Work is beneath kids today and that just fosters the entitlement expectation.