Warren's Plan on Student Loans

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Donnyboy

Lettin' the high times carry the low....
A/V Subscriber
Oct 31, 2005
No. Just that you guys are overstating the effect of machines on the workforce. In my opinion, big time.
There are literally no jobs that don't take individual expression...musician, artist, actor, chef, counselor, clergy etc...that they will not be able to do in 50 years......and they will be able to reproduce exact replicas of songs, meals, performances, paintings, inspirational conversations to the minute detail over and over without variation once the data from the original is input.

Aug 16, 2012
Ahh. Yes. So this lends even more to this...
Ah, so everyone in Prosper is a rich, entitlement snob. Nice generalization.

The people who decided to raise their kids in places like Prosper want to insulate them from everything bad in the world.
Parents everywhere want to insulate their kids from bad things. You actually sound jealous of those in Prosper. Prosper has grown because of its proximity to Dallas and it not being a congested suburb like Frisco. It also has a first-rate school district with extra-curricular opportunities that are rivaled by very few school districts.

A part time job might force them to face rejection or be told they're not special or, heaven forbid, keep them from being first chair clarinet and captain of the baseball team which will keep them from going to their preferred college (Baylor or TCU, to be sure)
They do not work because they know they do not have to. Again, it is a responsibility thing. What you do with your situation defines you.

In Frisco, they have pretty much found a way to keep anybody who is "other" out of the city by surrounding themselves with toll roads.
Frisco is not surrounded by toll roads. DNT runs up the middle of it. The same toll road goes through Dallas, Addison and Plano. Guess those are entitlement enclaves as well. It was built as an arterial road connecting 380 with the other arteries and downtown. SRT runs along the south edge as well as next to or through a half-dozen other cities. Highway 121 has been around for decades. It was converted to a toll road to address the growing municipalities to the northeast and getting those cars into town. NOt a single one was built for the benefit of Frisco and all the toll roads are part of the NTTA system which has nothing to do with Frisco.

They have cops that set up in every road into Frisco from McKinney and pull over any group of kids heading to Frisco.
Patently false.

That's why so many South Asian people love Frisco... because they can keep their kids insulated from all of the "bad" things in America (re: poor whites and black kids).
Yes, like every other metro area, there are regions with more of one race vs. another. But this shows you are wrong about distribution while black and hispanic kids constitute more than asian, despite the rhetoric.
http://www.friscoisd.org/docs/defau.../ethnicities-across-the-district.pdf?sfvrsn=4
"So many Asians" like the region because Toyota just moved their North American HQ to Plano, just southwest of 121 and DNT, the Granite Park area, which also has hundreds of tech firms. Frisco is home to the Cowboys, has MLS, minor league baseball, D-league basketball, PGA is breaking ground there, several enormous athletic parks, golf courses, you name it.

It's not the kids who have created this environment... but they're the easiest to blame.
Again, what you do with the situations that are set in front of you defines you. Not taking a job because daddy is rich does not define dad, it defines the kid.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Ah, so everyone in Prosper is a rich, entitlement snob. Nice generalization.

Parents everywhere want to insulate their kids from bad things. You actually sound jealous of those in Prosper. Prosper has grown because of its proximity to Dallas and it not being a congested suburb like Frisco. It also has a first-rate school district with extra-curricular opportunities that are rivaled by very few school districts.

They do not work because they know they do not have to. Again, it is a responsibility thing. What you do with your situation defines you.

Frisco is not surrounded by toll roads. DNT runs up the middle of it. The same toll road goes through Dallas, Addison and Plano. Guess those are entitlement enclaves as well. It was built as an arterial road connecting 380 with the other arteries and downtown. SRT runs along the south edge as well as next to or through a half-dozen other cities. Highway 121 has been around for decades. It was converted to a toll road to address the growing municipalities to the northeast and getting those cars into town. NOt a single one was built for the benefit of Frisco and all the toll roads are part of the NTTA system which has nothing to do with Frisco.

Patently false.

Yes, like every other metro area, there are regions with more of one race vs. another. But this shows you are wrong about distribution while black and hispanic kids constitute more than asian, despite the rhetoric.
http://www.friscoisd.org/docs/defau.../ethnicities-across-the-district.pdf?sfvrsn=4
"So many Asians" like the region because Toyota just moved their North American HQ to Plano, just southwest of 121 and DNT, the Granite Park area, which also has hundreds of tech firms. Frisco is home to the Cowboys, has MLS, minor league baseball, D-league basketball, PGA is breaking ground there, several enormous athletic parks, golf courses, you name it.

Again, what you do with the situations that are set in front of you defines you. Not taking a job because daddy is rich does not define dad, it defines the kid.
I'm VERY keenly aware of Frisco/McKinney/Prosper and the dynamics there. I was one of those "poor whites" that would get pulled over when driving my beat up pickup to Frisco almost every time... and it was the same old "where are you going? Why are you going over there? What do you intend to do?" line that screams "we don't want your kind here."

And I disagree that it's a "nature vs nurture" thing. I think not getting a job because daddy is rich is a direct result of daddy not telling their kid to get off their ass and go get a job. I think it's 100% on parenting, or expecting the schools to parent, or some combination therein. I don't think the issue is solvable if we blame the kids.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
One thing is for sure, @OSUinTX, I'm not jealous of anybody that lives in Prosper. I actually pity them more than anything. Living that far away from anything good without more than 10 acres seems terrible. I'm very happy in my east Dallas home on a half acre lot with creek access so I can go fishing anytime I want... and then in 10 minutes be at a great dive bar or trendy new restaurant that isn't a cheap imitation meant to attract a Dallas Cowboys player.

Donnyboy

Lettin' the high times carry the low....
A/V Subscriber
Oct 31, 2005
One thing is for sure, @OSUinTX, I'm not jealous of anybody that lives in Prosper. I actually pity them more than anything. Living that far away from anything good without more than 10 acres seems terrible. I'm very happy in my east Dallas home on a half acre lot with creek access so I can go fishing anytime I want... and then in 10 minutes be at a great dive bar or trendy new restaurant that isn't a cheap imitation meant to attract a Dallas Cowboys player.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VUoXtddNPAM

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I'm VERY keenly aware of Frisco/McKinney/Prosper and the dynamics there. I was one of those "poor whites" that would get pulled over when driving my beat up pickup to Frisco almost every time... and it was the same old "where are you going? Why are you going over there? What do you intend to do?" line that screams "we don't want your kind here."

And I disagree that it's a "nature vs nurture" thing. I think not getting a job because daddy is rich is a direct result of daddy not telling their kid to get off their ass and go get a job. I think it's 100% on parenting, or expecting the schools to parent, or some combination therein. I don't think the issue is solvable if we blame the kids.
Damn, if we would just defend our southern boarder as well as the cops defend Frisco we wouldn't have an illegal problem. ;)

In all seriousness, while I do have an issue with overly aggressive cops (reminds me of Stillwater back in the day), I don't have an issue with them protecting their towns and cities. It's a delicate balance they have to strike and, unfortunately we still have too many Barney Fifes in the world.

pokes16

Territorial Marshal
Oct 16, 2003
Tulsa
Damn, if we would just defend our southern boarder as well as the cops defend Frisco we wouldn't have an illegal problem. ;)

In all seriousness, while I do have an issue with overly aggressive cops (reminds me of Stillwater back in the day), I don't have an issue with them protecting their towns and cities. It's a delicate balance they have to strike and, unfortunately we still have too many Barney Fifes in the world.
But if he was not breaking any law at the time, then pulling him over for a beat up pick up is harassament. But I think we are in agreement here?

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
But if he was not breaking any law at the time, then pulling him over for a beat up pick up is harassment. But I think we are in agreement here?
Yep totally agree, I got pulled over in Stillwater back in the day (early 80's) for basically having a cool but a little loud Mustang (glass packs) and a hot date...they towed the Mustang, took her home, and took me to the pokie on a toc charge (one beer gone from a 3.2 six pack in the back floor board)...I blew a 0.00% but they put the fear of God in me because I stepped out of the cuffs and put them in front of me (I was a gymnast and wrestler and the dang things hurt as they roughed me up a bit and overtightened them). Otherwise I was TOTALLY submissive to this treatment. I had to pay to remove my car from impound and a HUGE ticket for my one beer and not having the sense to put the rest of it in the trunk (btw, it's still on my freaking record!). So yeah, dang straight I agree, just don't assume harassment is ONLY against the 'poor' and 'minorities' in beat up trucks. Barney Fife isn't going to mess around when it comes to people he perceives as "privileged" either. I also had an incident at a homecoming game with an overzealous Stillwater PD who pulled me off the field as I participated in alumni spirit group activities (this time in the late 1980's). This guy cussed me out and forcefully evicted me from the field... this despite others who were telling him not to do so and that I was suppose to be where I was. I wrote his superior and never got a reply. I hope they have cleaned up their act and gotten rid of some of those gung ho "officers"...but who knows. Maybe Frisco grew so fast they have a small town cop attitude still? No excuse for them, but who knows.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Yep totally agree, I got pulled over in Stillwater back in the day (early 80's) for basically having a cool but a little loud Mustang (glass packs) and a hot date...they towed the Mustang, took her home, and took me to the pokie on a toc charge (one beer gone from a 3.2 six pack in the back floor board)...I blew a 0.00% but they put the fear of God in me because I stepped out of the cuffs and put them in front of me (I was a gymnast and wrestler and the dang things hurt as they roughed me up a bit and overtightened them). Otherwise I was TOTALLY submissive to this treatment. I had to pay to remove my car from impound and a HUGE ticket for my one beer and not having the sense to put the rest of it in the trunk (btw, it's still on my freaking record!). So yeah, dang straight I agree, just don't assume harassment is ONLY against the 'poor' and 'minorities' in beat up trucks. Barney Fife isn't going to mess around when it comes to people he perceives as "privileged" either. I also had an incident at a homecoming game with an overzealous Stillwater PD who pulled me off the field as I participated in alumni spirit group activities (this time in the late 1980's). This guy cussed me out and forcefully evicted me from the field... this despite others who were telling him not to do so and that I was suppose to be where I was. I wrote his superior and never got a reply. I hope they have cleaned up their act and gotten rid of some of those gung ho "officers"...but who knows. Maybe Frisco grew so fast they have a small town cop attitude still? No excuse for them, but who knows.
Should be a municipal charge & not on your record any longer if it was a Stillwater cop.

How do I know? Homecoming walkaround 2010.

Was in Joe's parking lot watching a band, went to cross Elm street to the port-a-potties, beer in hand, & got arrested by an absolute prick of a young cop. I was totally cooperative & this guy was just the last kind of guy that needs a badge. I remember thinking "a crowd of 30k people roaming the streets, beers everywhere, & I get busted?"

Anyways, was a municipal charge, never got reported to the state, & it's ancient history.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Should be a municipal charge & not on your record any longer if it was a Stillwater cop.

How do I know? Homecoming walkaround 2010.

Was in Joe's parking lot watching a band, went to cross Elm street to the port-a-potties, beer in hand, & got arrested by an absolute prick of a young cop. I was totally cooperative & this guy was just the last kind of guy that needs a badge. I remember thinking "a crowd of 30k people roaming the streets, beers everywhere, & I get busted?"

Anyways, was a municipal charge, never got reported to the state, & it's ancient history.
I think it still comes up on internet searches according to my daughter. I'm sure I can get it removed, but not sure a TOC is municipal only. Heck it was 35 years ago (I was 18) and it hasn't been an issue except for one speeding traffic stop...going to Stillwater from Tulsa about 6 years ago when a cop brought it up while I was getting a ticket. He was also being a jerk as he said I had a "history," lol. I assumed that was on the record...maybe it's not.