Warren's Plan on Student Loans

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
I think it still comes up on internet searches according to my daughter. I'm sure I can get it removed, but not sure a TOC is municipal only. Heck it was 35 years ago (I was 18) and it hasn't been an issue except for one speeding traffic stop...going to Stillwater from Tulsa about 6 years ago when a cop brought it up while I was getting a ticket. He was also being a jerk as he said I had a "history," lol. I assumed that was on the record...maybe it's not.
Hmmm, maybe cause it was a moving violation, Idk.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
LOL, supernatural....guns have the devil in them. Or is it ghosts?

I must have an incredibly strong mind...I've owned guns for 30 years and have resisted the strong compulsion to become unethical the entire time. It must be genetic, my dad has resisted for almost twice that long.
I posted that in the wrong thread, but it's amusing.

Aug 16, 2012
But if he was not breaking any law at the time, then pulling him over for a beat up pick up is harassament. But I think we are in agreement here?
Issue with me is I do not think it happened at all, or at least not for the reasons stated. I have three cars, one being a 2003 Expedition that in 2011 was totaled in a hail storm. Since it was already eight years old, we took the money and put a down payment on another car, the truck now designated as the "Home Depot" vehicle. It has not been washed since, has a cracked windshield, broken rear-view mirror, thousands of deep dents, missing trim, etc. It sits under three maple trees so untold twigs and thousands of the little helicopter seedlings are piled into the air gap behind the hood, along the running boards, rear bumper, etc. in addition to sticking out of every hood vent and open joint and jammed under the wipers. I drive it into Frisco easily twice a week since it is the only car we have with hauling capacity. It went un-tagged for over a year in 2016 and for the past two years, the tag has not been affixed to the windshield but just set on the dash, still attached to the mailing card and visible only when you are right next to it. Never stopped after hundreds if not thousands of trips into Frisco. Not once. I travel all the arterial roads as well has residential streets depending on where I am going. Have passed or traveled alongside cops too often to count.

If that vehicle in that condition has never been pulled over a single time in eight years......hardly believe there is a "keep out the riff-raff" policy.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
as she carries a $1000 phone. Seriously, where did she go to school that it cost $55,000 a year???
It's 30k/year, 55k/year out of state tuition at CU Boulder.

This is what I was talking about with ridiculous price increases. Absurd to pay that amount, or anything close to it, especially for the first 2 years.

These are public institutions supported by our tax dollars, & they're out of control.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater

This is what I was talking about with ridiculous price increases. Absurd to pay that amount, or anything close to it, especially for the first 2 years.

These are public institutions supported by our tax dollars, & they're out of control.
Federal law prevents institutions from telling her that there isn't a chance in hell that she can service $200k worth of debt on a speech pathologist's salary. The problem isn't the institution, it's the federal law and the federal lender.

SLVRBK

Johnny 8ball's PR Manager
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
Katy, TX

I'm assuming she has earned her Masters and that means she had a loan to pay for every cent of her college cost (tuition/fees, room, board and other expenses). She went beyond Federal Student Loans and got Private Loans to pay for most of her education so she didn't have to work...or she's lying about her level of debt.

Aug 16, 2012

Again, I agree it is expensive but look at this...

Same degree, significantly lower cost and most of these are quite well-known universities.
https://www.guidetoonlineschools.com/degrees/speech-pathology

Also found out in about 8 seconds the average salary is 70k. Her choice to attend wherever she did, rack up that amount of debt, [should have] knowing the average salary, let alone entry level salary. That degree alone can be obtained for much less but as someone above stated, there is a stigma about going somewhere other than a 4-year. Choices. Good choices and bad choices.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Again, I agree it is expensive but look at this...

Same degree, significantly lower cost and most of these are quite well-known universities.
https://www.guidetoonlineschools.com/degrees/speech-pathology

Also found out in about 8 seconds the average salary is 70k. Her choice to attend wherever she did, rack up that amount of debt, [should have] knowing the average salary, let alone entry level salary. That degree alone can be obtained for much less but as someone above stated, there is a stigma about going somewhere other than a 4-year. Choices. Good choices and bad choices.
We don't disagree here, & she's really not the kid I'm concerned about.

I'm more talking about the kid who works a job throughout school, makes reasonable choices about borrowing & still comes out owing $60k.

Aug 16, 2012
We don't disagree here, & she's really not the kid I'm concerned about.

I'm more talking about the kid who works a job throughout school, makes reasonable choices about borrowing & still comes out owing $60k.
New story up on Yahoo.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/...orrowers-dont-understand-costs-193650429.html

Here is a quote:

"Nearly half of borrowers surveyed had no idea what their debt obligations will be once they graduate: 49% of borrowers did not know what their monthly minimum payment would be, with as few as 10% of 18-34 year-olds knowing what the exact payment amount would be."

Staggering.

steross

Bookface/Instagran legend
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
Far too logical.
Here is the key point, and also given the power of the connected, why it won't go away:

The current system is exploitative: The students essentially function as a conveyor belt carrying government money into the universities, leaving borrowers instead of taxpayers on the hook because it looks better from an accounting point of view: If we just gave the universities money, that would show up on the books as an expenditure; lending it to students allows us to pretend that we have created an asset when all we have actually created is a great deal of debt and horses**t.

pokes16

Territorial Marshal
Oct 16, 2003
Tulsa
New story up on Yahoo.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/...orrowers-dont-understand-costs-193650429.html

Here is a quote:

"Nearly half of borrowers surveyed had no idea what their debt obligations will be once they graduate: 49% of borrowers did not know what their monthly minimum payment would be, with as few as 10% of 18-34 year-olds knowing what the exact payment amount would be."

Staggering.
Not many 18-22 year olds would actually understand The ramifications even if they did know the amount and the monthly note.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Not many 18-22 year olds would actually understand The ramifications even if they did know the amount and the monthly note.
Maybe it's changed since our daughter graduated HS in '15, idk, but for years I've never understood why at least a basic personal finance class is not required for every kid, given all of the other less practical stuff that is required. Personal finance literally applies to every single kid coming through our schools, every single one.

Mar 11, 2006

My daughter is finishing her junior year in college at OSU. She has also spent one semester studying abroad in Italy. I have spent $44k on tuition, books, room and board.
Also, like the girl in the video claiming to owe $226k, my daughter is a speech pathology major.
There are plenty of inexpensive (relatively) 2 and 4 year institutions.

Mar 11, 2006
Maybe it's changed since our daughter graduated HS in '15, idk, but for years I've never understood why at least a basic personal finance class is not required for every kid, given all of the other less practical stuff that is required. Personal finance literally applies to every single kid coming through our schools, every single one.
I00% agree.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
My daughter is finishing her junior year in college at OSU. She has also spent one semester studying abroad in Italy. I have spent $44k on tuition, books, room and board.
Also, like the girl in the video claiming to owe $226k, my daughter is a speech pathology major.
There are plenty of inexpensive (relatively) 2 and 4 year institutions.
What sucks is that some of the 2 year programs in the medical field are now moving toward making the kids at least have an Associate's for entry into the program.

While I laud Oklahoma's CareerTech programs, I hate to see them basically requiring 2 years of college to get into them. Having said that, I do applaud them for partnering with schools like NOC, where you can get college credit through your CareerTech classes at a very reduced rate. I paid $8/credit hour to get 60 hours of college credit through NOC & didn't have to do anything more than the classes I took at Meridian Tech in Stillwater.