We still have a Wrestling Team BTW....

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

MustangPokeFan

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2005
Mustang, Ok
www.newshoesband.net
Watched a damn good wrestling match today by our guys. Except for a last minute miracle comeback by the guy wrestling Wittcraft to eek out a 1 point win, it would have been a 39-0 score against a decent Northern Colorado squad. As it was, 36-3 ain’t a bad day at the office!

Not a peep about it so I thought I’d do the honors!

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2005
Edmond
Watched a damn good wrestling match today by our guys. Except for a last minute miracle comeback by the guy wrestling Wittlake to eek out a 1 point win, it would have been a 39-0 score against a decent Northern Colorado squad. As it was, 36-3 ain’t a bad day at the office!

Witcraft got beat at 133. Wittlake had a pretty dominating win at 165, I believe.

Pretty good showing for the Pokes!

Dec 21, 2008
What I didn’t like were several inferior opponents keeping the score at 13 or 7. We MUST focus on finishing those matches. We had several matches with 35+ secs left and couldn’t get a TD. Since our early 2000s run we haven’t had those dominating teams that come out and just kick ass. We kinda wrestle not to lose or we get a lead and stall it out. Really hope and it appears that next year will be the year we start returning to be a swagger filled team. Anyone know the GFeller and JoJo stories? Kinda feels like never ending drama with them the last 2 years

Feb 4, 2016
florida
Watched a damn good wrestling match today by our guys. Except for a last minute miracle comeback by the guy wrestling Wittlake to eek out a 1 point win, it would have been a 39-0 score against a decent Northern Colorado squad. As it was, 36-3 ain’t a bad day at the office!

Not a peep about it so I thought I’d do the honors![/QUOTE]

Not a peep about it because we don't suck at it. Wait till we come in 4th or 5th at nationals then you will hear the bitching and moaning. Once again Coach Smith has us primed for another conference title and the chance to be competitive nationally. Looking forward to following Daton, Jordan Oliver and Alex Dieringer on their journey to making the Olympic team and world dominance. GO POKES

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Sorry. I've stepped away from OSU internet a bit because I feel it's just a very toxic environment and it doesn't add anything positive to my life. I should probably keep posting about wrestling, as I do enjoy it... But there is barely any discussion so it just doesn't feel worth it.

Feb 4, 2016
florida
What I didn’t like were several inferior opponents keeping the score at 13 or 7. We MUST focus on finishing those matches. We had several matches with 35+ secs left and couldn’t get a TD. Since our early 2000s run we haven’t had those dominating teams that come out and just kick ass. We kinda wrestle not to lose or we get a lead and stall it out. Really hope and it appears that next year will be the year we start returning to be a swagger filled team. Anyone know the GFeller and JoJo stories? Kinda feels like never ending drama with them the last 2 years
Theres a video on PISTOLS FIRING with Coach Smith talking about Gfeller and the match with UNC. He said Gfeller approached him before the match saying he didn't feel right. Coach Smiths response is epic and is the reason he's the best coach employed by OSU. His comments about the Witcraft match are pretty direct too.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
Watched a damn good wrestling match today by our guys. Except for a last minute miracle comeback by the guy wrestling Wittcraft to eek out a 1 point win, it would have been a 39-0 score against a decent Northern Colorado squad. As it was, 36-3 ain’t a bad day at the office!

I watched it here in Ohio. It was the best I've seen Sheets wrestle. It was Witcraft that lost by 1, Wittlake was a beast and put up a first period tech fall.

Sep 9, 2013
WVU still sucks, but i'm interested to see how noah adams fairs against the Cowboys 197. Adams is 16-0.

#1 Pokes Fan

Territorial Marshal
Mar 27, 2012
Sorry. I've stepped away from OSU internet a bit because I feel it's just a very toxic environment and it doesn't add anything positive to my life. I should probably keep posting about wrestling, as I do enjoy it... But there is barely any discussion so it just doesn't feel worth it.
I was there like I am at every home dual. I will usually start a thread and give match updates but, like you, it just seems like a waste of time with every thread seemingly turning into the same 3 or 4 complaining about the same thing. I just enjoy the matches now without posting and it makes it more relaxing for me. My phone never left my pocket once yesterday during the dual. Friday night I will start a thread and give updates if anyone cares to read it. Let me know.

#1 Pokes Fan

Territorial Marshal
Mar 27, 2012
I always read the wrestling threads after the fact, but understand that if you are there you like to enjoy it and not send updates.
I'll give it a whirl again Friday and see how it goes. I really don't mind but don't want to waste my time if nobody gives a :poo:. This is a really interesting team this year. They are really hard to get a read on but seem to be doing some good things in the practice room.

Side note:

I went to the Geary tournament Saturday night and watched the finals. Future Poke Konner Doucet won first. Recent signee from Goddard, Ks., Trevor Dopps finished second. He lost to Tate Picklo from Mustang who we recruited hard but signed with the goons. Blair Academy didn't attend the tournament this year.

Dec 21, 2008
I think like many of us know that the program has some stagnancy which decreases excitement. When Holder admits the long term ignoring of the program and facilities being passed by subpar opponents it leads to a lot of low expectations. We should beat NorCol by similar margins every time but like mentioned not much excitement. We don't have a Mocco who lateral leg whips someone then sprints off the mat. We don't have a Ringer who can pin anyone at anytime. I love following threads and reading your opinions and insight from those in attendance. I think the biggest thing is we have not been dominate in a long time as a team, last title in 2006. We have had several individual high achieving wrestlers recently Ringer, Perry, JO, and Heil but the overall teams have been far out talented. The build up with JoJo/Kaid finishing their AA careers with Fix has been nothing but a dream. Having Fix out this year really hurts the excitement also. It appears we have loaded up the guns and are bringing in some excitement. Elite world competitors like AJ and Fix bring a fun aura to the arena. Hoping this decade long drag will turn the corner and get us in the top 3 with a chance to battle for a title!

Sep 6, 2014
I watched it here in Ohio. It was the best I've seen Sheets wrestle. It was Witcraft that lost by 1, Wittlake was a beast and put up a first period tech fall.
how did you watch it in Ohio? I feel like last year basically every match was televised or on Flo (I have a subscription yet this year almost no matches have been shown (at least out of state). Did they not renew their deal with Flo? Where can I watch the matches?

Sep 6, 2014
pretty frustrating what's going on with Joe Smith and G'feller. Doesn't look like anyone is beating Iowa this year but with a JoJo and G wrestling to their capabilities there is no reason we shouldn't compete for a trophy this year. Also any word on if Kaid is gonna be healthy enough to join the team? Penn State lost Cassar & Conel, there is no reason with a fully healthy team we aren't top 3